Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
hello all. so im trying to figure out where MY mistake is. keyword is my. so in order to be saved, we must 1. repent, 2. believe that Jesus will save us. and the way to know if you have been saved is to see if 1. your life changes, or 2. you produce good fruit.

so i have repented numerous times, i do believe everything the Bible tells us about Jesus, i have been baptized, and yet, i know im not saved. howso you ask???

easy, i dont produce good fruit. so, this must mean i have done something incorrectly but i dont know what. any ideas on what im missing???

• Friendly
Reactions: obscura

Marc Munday

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
✟8,009.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hello all. so im trying to figure out where MY mistake is. keyword is my. so in order to be saved, we must 1. repent, 2. believe that Jesus will save us. and the way to know if you have been saved is to see if 1. your life changes, or 2. you produce good fruit.

so i have repented numerous times, i do believe everything the Bible tells us about Jesus, i have been baptized, and yet, i know im not saved. howso you ask???

easy, i dont produce good fruit. so, this must mean i have done something incorrectly but i dont know what. any ideas on what im missing???

Brother, I believe you are saved for God so loved the world he gave his only son that who ever believes in him shall not perish but have life eternal if you are struggle the reason is most likely due to not walking in the spirit and through his teachings you will seek and find peace:

John 15:5 (NIV)
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Also this confirms you are saved:

John 12:47
47 “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world.

Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟96,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Perhaps the one thing lacking is to first see if your life is producing fruit.
And then secondly examine that fruit to see if it is good or bad.
So let's start from the beginning, and recognize that in order to produce fruit, two actions have to take place:
1.learning what is good is the beginning step.
Reading God's Word will help, and so will memorizing what you read.
2. Understanding what you're reading is good, and how it differs from what you have previously learned in the World is your second step.
God's Word and His ways will differ from the examples that you have probably learned before now.
So when you are able to distinguish the difference between what you previously learned, and what God says, then you will be ready to learn what good fruit looks like, and how producing good fruit will change your whole life.
Best Wishes!

Upvote 0

rhomphaeam

Robert Chisholm
Jul 13, 2021
England
Visit site
✟8,921.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Yep - stop calling yourself a Calvinist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
A second way to begin producing good fruit is to shift your point of attention from yourself and what others can do for you, and begin to look at others, and think about what you can do for them.
And lastly, be slow to speak and quick to listen to what is good. When you learn how to quiet your mind, and shift from speaking mode to listening mode, what is good will be easier to discern.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes (to what some others have said) and good fruit takes time, and patience, and in the meantime, and in order to make sure you eventually produce it, go with what @pdudgeon and some others have said until then, and just be patient with both God and yourself in the meantime...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

rhomphaeam

Robert Chisholm
Jul 13, 2021
England
Visit site
✟8,921.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

i assume you dont like calvinists…..

I am a Calvinist.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yep - stop calling yourself a Calvinist.

i assume you dont like calvinists…..

And just what exactly does Calvinism have to do with this discussion, and how does it really change anything anyway, etc...?

Because it doesn't, and if it does for you, then maybe you don't truly have an accurate understanding of it, and maybe you should just wait in the meantime until you do, etc...

I don't know that I am a Calvinist exactly, but many have tried to call me such just strictly only because of my beliefs about predestination and God's full omniscience, etc, but I have never ever even studied or even looked into "Calvinism", but only know only what I have only "heard", etc...

For example, I don't believe we can know for sure how many or how little or few will be saved or else damned for example, etc, and I also can 100% guarantee you that my beliefs about "hell" differ very very much differently or greatly from many of them also, etc...

But that fact that God has predestined or chosen for us already should not change a thing, since it is all entirely based only on his full knowledge or omniscience, which we do not know and don't have and do not yet understand, and may not ever have ever, most especially not in or on this side of life ever, etc, so it shouldn't change a thing really, etc, and like I said, if it does for you then maybe you just don't fully understand it yet, etc...

Anyway,

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rhomphaeam

Robert Chisholm
Jul 13, 2021
England
Visit site
✟8,921.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
And just what exactly does Calvinism have to do with this discussion, and how does it really change anything anyway, etc...?

Your comment is rationally difficult to uphold because the OP author says that he is a Calvinist in his profile that is visible with his post.

Then his OP original comment are:

......all of which I read and elected to answer the highlighted element (above) by saying that he should begin by not calling himself a Calvinist. He isn't a Calvinist by his expression of what he believes salvation means or being saved means. So as a Calvinist let me give you some advise.

The comment by @pdudgeon seems to be a most sensible advice to me. And he/she are a Catholic.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Your comment is rationally difficult to uphold because the OP author says that he is a Calvinist in his profile that is visible with his post.

Then his OP original comment are:

......all of which I read and elected to answer the highlighted element (above) by saying that he should begin by not calling himself a Calvinist. He isn't a Calvinist by his expression of what he believes salvation means or being saved means. So as a Calvinist let me give you some advise.

The comment by @pdudgeon seems to be a most sensible advice to me. And he/she are a Catholic.
You words make no sense to me...?

Why isn't he a Calvinist again...?

As far as I can tell his ideas on what will be evident in a believer or saved persons life are not inaccurate, etc...?

But maybe I am missing something maybe...?

Could you explain, etc...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

rhomphaeam

Robert Chisholm
Jul 13, 2021
England
Visit site
✟8,921.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You words make no sense to me...?

Why isn't he a Calvinist again...?

As far as I can tell his ideas on what will be evident in a believer or saved persons life are not inaccurate, etc...?

But maybe I am missing something maybe...?

Could you explain, etc...?

God Bless!

Not without going into a thesis. But I can post this video that I made for my own church which is reformed Calvinist. This is the foundation of Calvinism and necessarily so - else all we do is talk garbage and then anticipate that others will be convinced because we are civil.

• Informative
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Not without going into a thesis. But I can post this video that I made for my own church which is reformed Calvinist. This is the foundation of Calvinism and necessarily so - else all we do is talk garbage and then anticipate that others will be convinced because we are civil.

I'll try to watch the video later, but you couldn't just simply tell me why he's not a Calvinist right...? Or else what either qualifies or else disqualifies him from being one, right...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

rhomphaeam

Robert Chisholm
Jul 13, 2021
England
Visit site
✟8,921.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'll try to watch the video later, but you couldn't just simply tell me why he's not a Calvinist right...? Or else what either qualifies or else disqualifies him from being one, right...?

God Bless!

The OP author already expressed his own reasons why he ought not to call himself a Calvinist - and you in yours confirmed the impossibility of knowing how to stand on a foundation that Calvin stood on - and that video is the evidence that the OP authors' concerns, about his own faith; and your assertion that he cannot know what election means, are wrong.

So either listen to the video or else do not listen to the video - but just bear in mind that the video witnesses to just one event in a Hebridean revival led by and in the responsibility of Calvinist Ministers and Elders. No Catholics - no Pentecostals - no Charismatics - All the sovereignty of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The OP author already expressed his own reasons why he ought not to call himself a Calvinist - and you in yours confirmed the impossibility of knowing how to stand on a foundation that Calvin stood on - and that video is the evidence that the OP authors' concerns, about his own faith; and your assertion that he cannot know what election means, are wrong.

So either listen to the video or else do not listen to the video - but just bear in mind that the video witnesses to just one event in a Hebridean revival led by and in the responsibility of Calvinist Ministers and Elders. No Catholics - no Pentecostals - no Charismatics - All the sovereignty of God.
I believe that God, the highest God, "elected" or predestined absolutely everyone and everything, etc...

And I didn't say I wouldn't watch the video, just that I will when I have time, etc...

And I probably will watch it here in a little bit, and maybe get back to you, etc, as I have been accused of being being a "Calvinist" many, many times, etc, just because of my beliefs on God's full omniscience, and predestination and free will, etc...

And if I turn out not belonging to your "oh so special elite group", etc, then I most certainly am not going to shed any tears about it, etc, but I would like to know for sure, etc, so I might watch the video here shortly, etc...

Anyway,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
and you in yours confirmed the impossibility of knowing how to stand on a foundation that Calvin stood on.

What if that foundation is in error, etc...?

And also, and from what I have heard about some or about many so-called "Calvinists", etc, maybe then, I maybe hope so, etc...? But you most certainly don't make it sound very good, or very "Christ-like" so far, etc... So, I hope they are not all like you, etc...

But will watch the video soon, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Sanctification continues throughout our entire earthly life .... we fall down .... Jesus lifts us up ..... we are in a continuous "battle" with sin.

is your life trending in following in the steps of Jesus .... or no?

Ask Him to help you and continue studying His word.

May you find peace in your heart ... Amen

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One thing that helps me to be clear about what is involved in becoming saved is >

"we who first trusted in Christ" > in Ephesians 1:12.

And Jesus says our Father draws a person to Jesus, teaching us in the process. So, there is learning involved.

And we are turned "from the power of Satan to God" > in Acts 26:18.

And Jesus says,

"'Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:28-29)

So, God brings a person to Jesus, while God teaches the person so the person is satisfied, and God turns the person from Satan's power, so the person is now with God in sharing with Him in His love (Romans 5:5); and with Jesus we learn so we live in His rest for our souls.

And this involves a lifelong process. So, you might get into being not a "lifelong sinner", but a lifelong process in sharing with God :) Our primary identity with Jesus is we are children of God and we are His saints. Yes, we sin, but this does not make "sinner" our primary identity. You breathe, but you do not go around telling everyone you are a breather . . . or a walker, or a talker. But do seek our Father for how He is able to change our character to be like Jesus, so we love like Jesus while pleasing our Father like Jesus is so pleasing > be busy with praying for this; be blessed to seek God for all He means by His word, how He is able to share with us.

Do you get the sharing part? God's love has us in family sharing with Him and one another, in all that is possible with God.

It is wise to examine ourselves about if we are in the faith > "faith working through love", our Apostle Paul does say, in Galatians 5:6. Our Apostle Paul, according to how I understand 2 Corinthians 13:5, tells us to examine ourselves. But do this with God, like examining your health by submitting to a doctor and doing what the doctor has you do - - - while the doctor does what the doctor is able to do with you.

And read and feed on His word, trusting Him to have you doing what He means while blessing you the way His word means . . . to Him. And this will have us not only about our own selves being saved and blessed, but we care about others as ourselves, and with Jesus this is with family sharing and relating.

So, possibly, you have been too into yourself. Jesus says,

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." (in Luke 9:23)

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My personal belief...
When you realise you're bad in an area, you can pray to God / Jesus and admit it to Him.

Make your mind up to reject that bad thing - but, the truth is - it takes time and a lot of work on your part too. I also do not often experience a "deliverance" without my own hard work.

I know some believe you're supposed to let God change you - but I'm not so sure you can just sit back and wait.

I'm not sure I would like being transformed over night into a perfect being - without any work or effort on my part. Sounds kind of boring and pointless if it comes easy.

Just a thought.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0