Contemplator
Sep 8, 2015
Manhattan, KS
✟7,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd like to think that they are still God's chosen people. They have been throughout the history of the Old Testament. If they weren't then I would have trouble seeing that God maintained His promise to them. I believe they have a place at the end of time, but I'm not sure where or what that looks like.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What do you guys think about it? It's kind of obvious that they have a special role in God's plan, but are jews always saved the same way then gentiles? If not, how is their path to salvation different?
Read Romans 11

Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read Romans 11
Yes, I've read it but I find its content somewhat confusing. Like, in the verses 1-24 Paul seems to claim that jews just like gentiles need to gave faith to be saved. But towards the end there are verses where he sais things like "all Israel is saved", and as good as all verses from 25 on seem to just scream that all jews are saved, so which way is it?

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I've read it but I find its content somewhat confusing. Like, in the verses 1-24 Paul seems to claim that Jews just like gentiles need to gave faith to be saved. But towards the end there are verses where he sais things like "all Israel is saved", and as good as all verses from 25 on seem to just scream that all Jews are saved, so which way is it?
They are to believe as we do that Christ, who is both God and man, died for their sins so that they can have communion with God once again, and live with Him eternally. Romans 11 shows how God uses the gentiles to make the Jews jealous and bring about a change of heart through His grace.

Upvote 0

Shieldmaiden4Christ

Eastward bound
Aug 28, 2013
Where the Wild Things Are
✟16,564.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My NKJV Orthodox Study Bible says the following:

Romans 11:25-27

"The mystery which explains the unbelief of so many Jews is that the Gentiles are now being united to the remnant of the faithful Jews, and thus this body of believers together form the truth Israel. (in Galatians 6:15-16, St. Paul calls those "in Christ Jesus" the "Israel of God," which is the Church.) This true Israel is not based on biological ancestry but on faithfulness to God's Deliverer, the Messiah. In this understanding, all Israel will be saved (v. 26)."

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2015
✟628.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to think that they are still God's chosen people. They have been throughout the history of the Old Testament. If they weren't then I would have trouble seeing that God maintained His promise to them. I believe they have a place at the end of time, but I'm not sure where or what that looks like.

Some have interpreted Revelation 3:9 and Revelation 7:2-8 as relating to a mass conversion of Jews, but perhaps not all Jews, at the end.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
What gospel did Jesus preach? He emphasized repentance, good deeds, and faith in him. Are any of these mutually exclusive?

I think that the word 'saved' may mean something different in the context of Jewish hopes and expectations as reflected in the OT than it would to a western Gentile reading the writings of the New Testament 2000 years later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you guys think about it? It's kind of obvious that they have a special role in God's plan, but are jews always saved the same way then gentiles? If not, how is their path to salvation different?
If you will study Paul's epistle to the Romans, you will discover that (a) Jews are no different than Gentiles when it comes to salvation by grace through faith, (b) national Israel is currently blind (spiritually) because they have rejected their Messiah, therefore each individual must be saved as in individual, and (c) after the Church has been completed, Christ will resume His direct dealings with Israel as a nation, but salvation will require repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Jews after the Second Coming of Christ will be gathered to Israel, and Christ will establish a redeemed and restored kingdom of Israel on earth in the future. But for the present, God makes no distinction between Jew and Gentile.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What "special role" would you say that they have?
When Christ establishes His literal and physical Kingdom on earth (after His Second Coming), then Jerusalem and Israel will indeed have a prominent role on earth. This will be both during and after the Millennium.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Everyone is saved in the same manner. Jesus reveals himself to them and they either accept or reject.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

Rom 10:1-4
Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. Since they did not know the righteousness that comes from God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

Rom 10:12 there is no difference between Jew and Gentile

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They are to believe as we do that Christ, who is both God and man, died for their sins so that they can have communion with God once again, and live with Him eternally. Romans 11 shows how God uses the gentiles to make the Jews jealous and bring about a change of heart through His grace.

What about the Jews who lived before Jesus?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

This is in regard to salvation and standing before God, but Paul goes on to say that Israel's gifts and calling are irrevocable and that to THEM were given the oracles of God.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Rom 10:1-4
Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. Since they did not know the righteousness that comes from God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

Were Gentiles saved in the OT? If so, how?

Upvote 0