• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured Salvation loss. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by ChristianIssues, Jul 15, 2017.

1. ladodgers6

ladodgers6 Well-Known Member Supporter

+669
    Calvinist
    Married

2. Dan61861

Dan61861 7 days without God, makes one weak.

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    “Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.”

Jesus came, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God. The Gospel is of the kingdom of God. The kingdom of God is at hand. The time is fulfilled, it is time for man to repent and believe. We are commanded to repent and believe the Gospel.

• The Gospel

1. Jesus has come and died for our sins according to the scriptures.
    2. He was buried.
    3. He rose from the dead on the third day, according to the scriptures.
    4. It was witnessed by many.

Believing the Gospel brings us into the Kingdom of God.

1. Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
    2. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
    3. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
    4. Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: 13Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
    5. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Jesus preached the Gospel. (Baptism represents Christ’s death, burial and resurrection.) When we are baptized, we die, we are buried and we are resurrected with Him.

1. Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
    2. (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)
    3. And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
    4. Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
    5. After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.

We repent of unbelief

1. In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    2. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
    3. Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
    4. And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
    We believe.

• Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

We confess our sins. We are sinners in need of a Savior. We are wretched, God alone is good.

In Christ
    Daniel

3. ChristianIssues

ChristianIssues Newbie

+35
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Repentance will flow from true Faith.[/quote]

I sure agree and believe that failure to repent will result in salvation loss just as Luke 13:3 says.

I believe that also.

We need to repent of sin. That is the context of Luke 13:1-9.

I agree once again.

I may have missed something in what you have said as I believe we can lose our salvation, as Luke 12:42-46 says, but you disagree.

4. Dan61861

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Judas was not saved, he would not become saved, he could never become saved.

The Holy Spirit by the mouth of David spake concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. For He was numbered with us, and had obtain PART of this ministry.

For it is written in the book of Psalms, let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick. Let another take.

This had to be fulfilled.

Judas never believed.

In Christ
    Daniel

5. Dan61861

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Very well said.

The oracles of God were given to Israel. They were supposed to share it with the world. Declare his glory among the heathen; his marvellous works among all nations. Instead, they used it to control the people.

In Christ
    Daniel

6. ChristianIssues

ChristianIssues Newbie

+35
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Hello Dan,
    I started this OP as a discussion on the parable in Luke 12:42-46 in which, I believe, the servant can either be rewarded when Jesus returns or condemned depending on his actions. What do you think of this parable?

Regarding repenting, I believe it is repenting of sin. In Acts 2:30 the people are told to repent for the forgiveness of sins. Also, in Luk 13:3 the context is sin and Jesus told the people to repent or perish. These two verses tell me that repenting is repenting from sin.

7. ChristianIssues

ChristianIssues Newbie

+35
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The argument is that Jesus lost none that were given to Him (John 6:39) but that is clearly wrong as later on in John 17:12 Jesus said, "While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled".

I can't believe Jesus chose an unsaved man as one of His disciples.

8. Dan61861

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    The parable is to the Pharisee and Scribes. Israel was given the oracles of God. They were to share it with the world. Declare his glory among the heathen; his marvellous works among all nations. Instead, they used it to control the people.

As far as Acts, the people were told to repent...stop their unbelief in God and Believe. When we Believe the Gospel...Christ and Him crucified our sins are than forgiven.

In Christ
    Daniel

9. Dan61861

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Instead of reading it as a whole, you create a contradiction?
    None were Lost that were given to Him. The eleven were given to Him.
    The one that is lost, was never given to Him.

God uses the unsaved/lost all the time to fulfill His will.

In Christ
    Daniel

BTW...no one was saved until Christ died, was buried and rose from the dead.

10. Dan61861

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Think of it this way, if you were to sit and confess every sin you have committed in your life to have each one forgiven. You would never get up off of your knees. Then their are the ones that you just can't remember...

11. ChristianIssues

ChristianIssues Newbie

+35
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Married
    If you could find me just one commentary that agrees I would consider it. Every commentary I have says that the parable is talking about Jesus, the Master, being away. I believe it is telling us that He will return to either reward the faithful or condemn the unfaithful.

Regarding repent, there is no doubt in my mind that it is talking about turning from sin -

Luke_17:4 says, "If he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times comes back to you and says, 'I repent,' forgive him."
    Clearly repent is associated with sin in this verse.

Rev_2:21 says, "I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling."
    Clearly, repent is about sin in this verse.

Another clear verse -
    Rev_2:22: "So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways."

Lastly, Luke 13:3 commands repentance and the context is sin - see vs.2, 4.

12. Dan61861

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    I agree, faith without works is dead. What works is James talking about?

13. ChristianIssues

ChristianIssues Newbie

+35
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Are you saying that Judas was not an Apostle?

14. Dan61861

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Jesus is the master that went away. He is the Tree of Life. God gave Israel the oracles of God, they beat and killed the prophets God sent to them. Christ is now telling them to belief in Him or they will be counted with the unbeliever.

In Christ
    Daniel

15. stuart lawrence

stuart lawrence Well-Known Member

+1,581
    Christian
    Single
    Jesus would not choose an unsaved man to fulfill OT prophecy?

16. Dan61861

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Not at all. He was there to fulfill what the Holy Spirit revealed in the Psalms. The eleven belonged to Jesus. Anyone who truly believes Belongs to Jesus. He has purchased us with His blood. Judas never belonged to Jesus.

In Christ
    Daniel

17. Dan61861

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    May I ask you.

Non Denom is very non descriptive. Can you give us a little more detail on your belief and history?

18. Dan61861

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    If God states He will finish what He has started in us.

Why would you not believe Him?

In Christ
    Daniel

If He doesn't finish what He started...isn't He lying?

19. Dan61861

+358
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    If Christ states that salvation is impossible with man, but nothing is impossible with God.

Why would men think salvation is in their hands?

In Christ
    Daniel

20. ChristianIssues

ChristianIssues Newbie

+35
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Married
    We seem to be reading different Bibles. In what verse does Jesus tell them to believe in Him?

So Jesus gave the Holy Spirit to Judas even though he wasn't saved? (Matt. 10:20 when Jesus sent out the twelve)

I'm a standard Protestant I guess, non Charismatic. I go to a Salvation Army church in the evening and a Baptist church in the morning.

One thing I forgot to say is that in Luke 11:32, the Ninevites repented at Jonah's teaching ... does repent mean "believing in Jesus" in this verse?

Have to go to bed now.