Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,468.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Salvation is something to continue in and no Calvinistic game...

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. - John 4:23-24

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; - John 8:31

17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.
20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. - Romans 11

If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; - Colossians 1:23

I worked with three ladies in my factory making samples. These ladies were all Baptist, cheerful, decent, and I would not doubt if they were to tell me they were eternally saved, especially as I don't see it in their character. And this was also true of the old people in the Baptist church I was brought up in. They continued in the way they were brought up in.

And then my generation came along.

In the Baptist church I was brought up in we had a large youth group and all the adults thought of them as angels and good saved Christians. That was until someone busted them in one of their dope smoking parties. I also met a lady who is in her fifties as well as I. This lady was Baptist, single, never married, and I thought we were the perfect fit... But the more that woman talked... Come to find out that she sees nothing wrong with the party or sex scene. I finally, after enduring much talk on carnality, said to her, "You know I don't believe you can do those things and get to heaven." Almost immediately she replies, "Are you trying to threaten my salvation?" She thought because she got saved as a little one licenses her to do whatever she pleases.

Of all the young people I know growing up not a one of them shows any fruit of Christianity. The matters of eternal significance are the furthest thing from their carnal mind. I believe that the Lord also takes issues with this...

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. - Revelation 3:5

And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. - Mark 13:13

This is my main gripe against Calvinism, and that is it gives people a false sense of eternal security. This is a race to be run, to be continued in, and not a destination at some point of doctrinal sense.

Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟480,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. - John 4:23-24

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; - John 8:31

17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.
20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. - Romans 11

If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; - Colossians 1:23

I worked with three ladies in my factory making samples. These ladies were all Baptist, cheerful, decent, and I would not doubt if they were to tell me they were eternally saved, especially as I don't see it in their character. And this was also true of the old people in the Baptist church I was brought up in. They continued in the way they were brought up in.

In the Baptist church I was brought up in we had a large youth group and all the adults thought of them as angels and good saved Christians. That was until someone busted them in one of their dope smoking parties. I also met a lady who is in her fifties as well as I. This lady was Baptist, single, never married, and I thought we were the perfect fit... But the more that woman talked... Come to find out that she sees nothing wrong with the party or sex scene. I finally, after enduring much talk on carnality, said to her, "You know I don't believe you can do those things and get to heaven." Almost immediately she replies, "Are you trying to threaten my salvation?" She thought because she got saved as a little one licenses her to do whatever she pleases.

Of all the young people I know growing up not a one of them shows any fruit of Christianity. The matters of eternal significance are the furthest thing from their carnal mind. I believe that the Lord also takes issues with this...

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. - Revelation 3:5

And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. - Mark 13:13

This is my main gripe against Calvinism, and that is it gives people a false sense of eternal security. This is a race to be run, to be continued in, and not a destination at some point of doctrinal sense.
So if it’s your race to win, what victory did Jesus accomplish? Why did he die for you if you could somehow be good enough to enter into heaven on your own merits?

Trusting in your personal righteousness makes the righteousness of Christ vain. You either believe that Jesus paid it all, and all to him you owe, or you don’t.

And I’m not defending Calvinism, because Calvinism is not a biblical doctrine. But don’t confuse the grace of God with a man-made doctrine like Calvinism, and say they’re one in the same.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,468.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
So if it’s your race to win, what victory did Jesus accomplish? Why did he die for you if you could somehow be good enough to enter into heaven on your own merits?

Trusting in your personal righteousness makes the righteousness of Christ vain. You either believe that Jesus paid it all, and all to him you owe, or you don’t.

And I’m not defending Calvinism, because Calvinism is not a biblical doctrine. But don’t confuse the grace of God with a man-made doctrine like Calvinism, and say they’re one in the same.

Show me the fruits and I will buy into the eternal security.

Upvote 0

Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟480,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Show me the fruits and I will buy into the eternal security.
Fruits of what? Define fruit. Fruit meaning obedience to God’s law?

Knowest thou not that “as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous?” Who is obedient and who is disobedient? We are the disobedient sinners, and Christ is the obedient Justifier. After all, “There is none righteous, no, not one, for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” And again, the wise proverb, “Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure of my sin?” As Solomon teaches, “There is not a just man upon the earth which doeth good, and sinneth not.” Yet we know, “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord,” how then are we able to obtain that which God has provided freely to us through faith? We cannot, unless one is willing to say they are as righteous as Christ himself.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,468.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Fruits of what? Define fruit. Fruit meaning obedience to God’s law?

Knowest thou not that “as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous?” Who is obedient and who is disobedient? We are the disobedient sinners, and Christ is the obedient Justifier. After all, “There is none righteous, no, not one, for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” And again, the wise proverb, “Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure of my sin?” As Solomon teaches, “There is not a just man upon the earth which doeth good, and sinneth not.” Yet we know, “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord,” how then are we able to obtain that which God has provided freely to us through faith? We cannot, unless one is willing to say they are as righteous as Christ himself.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lust - Galatians 5

Upvote 0

Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟480,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lust - Galatians 5
Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

We crucify the affections and lusts of our flesh with Christ because we reckon ourselves (aka consider ourselves, make ourselves) dead to sin, and alive unto God through Christ.

Yet consider, “He that is dead is freed from sin.” We reckon ourselves dead to sin only because of the promises of God, but until that day comes to pass when we physically die, we are not truly freed of sin. Our current body is a body of death, and is corrupted, and is mortal; it shall be resurrected to life in incorruption, and in immortality. That is when we will never be enslaved to sin again, because we shall be remade into Christ’s image. However, currently, our body works sin because in our flesh dwells no good thing; yet after the Spirit, and the mind, and the inward man, we serve the law of God perfectly through faith in Jesus Christ. Romans 7 explains this perfectly.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,468.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

We crucify the affections and lusts of our flesh with Christ because we reckon ourselves (aka consider ourselves, make ourselves) dead to sin, and alive unto God through Christ.

Yet consider, “He that is dead is freed from sin.” We reckon ourselves dead to sin only because of the promises of God, but until that day comes to pass when we physically die, we are not truly freed of sin. Our current body is a body of death, and is corrupted, and is mortal; it shall be resurrected to life in incorruption, and in immortality. That is when we will never be enslaved to sin again, because we shall be remade into Christ’s image. However, currently, our body works sin because in our flesh dwells no good thing; yet after the Spirit, and the mind, and the inward man, we serve the law of God perfectly through faith in Jesus Christ. Romans 7 explains this perfectly.

If you are indeed dead from sin, and have no interest in reviving the old nature, then you are continuing in the salvation. Which is a good thing!

Upvote 0

Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟480,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you are indeed dead from sin, and have in interest in reviving the old nature, then you are continuing in the salvation. Which is a good thing!
We don’t continue in salvation by living in the new nature. We live in the new nature because we have already received salvation. If we didn’t have complete salvation, we couldn’t possibly walk in the new nature, because our salvation is our rebirth. The Bible is clear on this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Very nice- and thoughtful- post. Thank you.

• Agree
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and
I will not blot out his name out of the book of life ... - Revelation 3:5
Sure, sure ... but people do NOT understand
what it means to be an overcomer!

They are taught it means 1 John 5:5,
but that's only talking about overcoming the world.
Yes, BACs have overcome the world of non-believers.

Jesus is the One who really defines an overcomer ...
"To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me
on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down
with My Father on His throne." (Revelation 3:21)

Jesus overcame the world, sin, the Devil, persecution, etc.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So if it’s your race to win, what victory did Jesus accomplish? Why did he die for you if you could somehow be good enough to enter into heaven on your own merits? Trusting in your personal righteousness makes the righteousness of Christ vain. You either believe that Jesus paid it all, and all to him you owe, or you don’t.
Please try to understand that ...
God's free gift of grace (through Jesus' shed blood)
started off your salvation!

But, the NT clearly teaches that ...
you have a part to play in your salvation.
It is a co-operative effort between God and you!
The NT teaches that salvation is a process!

E.G. Many NT verses teach us that ...
BACs who are habitual (unrepentant) sinners
are NO LONGER in a state of grace!

However, they may (and can) sincerely
REPENT and re-again their lost state of grace!

Upvote 0