Salvation is from the LORD

Jonah 2:9(KJV) But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.

The story of Jonah has always been a fascinating one to me, and yet one that brings many questions to mind. Why did Jonah think he could run from God? Once Jonah was saved, why was he so angry with God for saving others? If you are not familiar with the story, the book of Jonah is only 4 short chapters; you may want to read it yourself, but here is a shortened version: God told Jonah to go to Nineveh and tell them that their wickedness would cause their destruction. Jonah chose to run away instead of obeying. When God caused a life-threatening storm to arise, Jonah knew he was the cause and had the sailors throw him overboard. God sent a great fish to swallow him and he spent three days and nights inside the belly of the fish. When Jonah prayed for salvation, he received it and Jonah was deposited on dry land. Jonah proceeded to Nineveh and delivered God's message, but lo, and behold, the people listened and repented! As a result, God relented and did not destroy them. This made Jonah mad. I'm not sure why, perhaps because it made him look like a fool, or perhaps because they were a heathen nation and he just didn't like them. He whined and pouted and told God he knew this would happen and that is why he ran in the first place. Frankly, he would have rather died than live, so he climbed a hill that overlooked the city and sat there, waiting for God to either destroy the city or him. Why was Jonah so willing to receive the salvation of God, but so unwilling to see others receive it? Jonah must have been a letter-of-the-law kind of guy and yet he was so blind to his own sin. In the second chapter of Jonah, there is the prayer Jonah prayed while in the great fish. Nowhere in the prayer is there a word of repentance for his disobedience to God; only a cry for salvation. Jonah was a bit self-righteous. He actually thought he knew better than God. What he really lacked was vision; God's vision that all people would seek His face and receive salvation. Having tasted of the Lord's grace and salvation, he should have been so relieved to see others receive it also! What I find so amazing is that God did not give up on Jonah, despite his blatant disregard for God's commands and wishes. He disciplined him and kept him moving toward His goal for Jonah. The story ends rather abruptly. We never know if Jonah sees things God's way or not, but perhaps that is not important. What is important is: do we understand the lesson? Have we caught a glimpse of God's vision? Do we have the same passion that He has for people? Are we willing to bestow grace freely to others because we have freely received it? These are the lessons in the book of Jonah for us all.

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Yes these ARE the lessons in this little Book for us as indeed there are yet more.

Nevertheless you hit THE Lesson and I love the way you asked it.

Have we caught a glimpse of God's vision? Do we have the same passion that He has for people? Are we willing to bestow grace freely to others because we have freely received it?

Sure we all have our own vision. We all know what WE want to do, but our vision and God's vision is not always the same.

Not long ago, I think God's vision was for me to pastor a little Church out west from me. But it was not MY vision and I rebelled. I saw it as a fate I did not want to deal with. But my rebellion has resulted in more grief to me than I can write here and I did not even recognize as such, but it has been much like Jonah being swallowed up.

It became a little more clear yesterday when I received mail telling me of the grief that has befallen the little Church, and how the one who became it's Pastor is obviously more a part of their problems than a solution to them.

Being a human I still pray, without realizing it that MY will be done and not Christ's. I do not know what would have happened had I prayed and then acted aright, but I do know it would have been far more satisfying to everyone involved.

Frankly, all I could see was MY vision, that I had for several years now, and in spite of everything, I would not give up. I am grateful that God has shown me how wrong I was and I am now praying only to know His will and then for the Grace and strength to perform it.

Thanks Kim for your insight!

Upvote 0