West Tennessee
✟9,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hello everyone I'm new and have a question hoping you guys might help me with. It's about this whole salvation thing.
The bible says to believe and repent and be born again.
But then it says salvation is not by works lest anyone should boast.

It's very confusing and the more I say to myself ok I believe and repent - I pray and read my bible in the morning and by the evening when I'm tired after work I'm ready to sin again. I sin again then feel guilty and horrible in the morning then go through the whole thing again - that just doesn't seem like the Christian life to me.

Also, what's the difference between a stronghold in a Christian's life and someone fooling themselves and saying they are really saved when they are not?

Sorry for the simple questions - I'm not that versed in this stuff.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I would say that Christianity is all about a relationship. A relationship between you and Jesus. That relationship started when you turned away from sin and put your faith and trust in Him. You have probably heard the old saying that we are known by the company we keep and it is very true. The more time we spend with a person in friendship, particularly someone we admire, the more we want to be like them.

It is similar to our relationship with Christ. The more time we spend in prayer and fellowship and the more time we seek to follow His will, the more Christ-like we will become. When we allow the Holy Spirit to work in our lives, Jesus becomes glorified in all that we say and do. We have the strength to deal with situations that we could not deal with on our own.

The other important thing to remember about the closeness and intimacy of a relationship or friendship is that the other person knows a lot about ourselves. They know our strengths and weaknesses, and they know that we often get things wrong. But they still love us in spite of our faults and will sometimes correct us when they know we are wrong, not because they want to punish us, but because they want the very best for us. When we consider our relationship with Christ, He knows every intrinsic detail about our lives. He knows us better than we know ourselves. He knows what is good for us and what is bad for us. He wants us to have fulfilled lives with plans to prosper us and give us a hope.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
hello everyone I'm new and have a question hoping you guys might help me with. It's about this whole salvation thing.

It's very confusing and the more I say to myself ok I believe and repent - I pray and read my bible in the morning and by the evening when I'm tired after work I'm ready to sin again. I sin again then feel guilty and horrible in the morning then go through the whole thing again - that just doesn't seem like the Christian life to me.

Also, what's the difference between a stronghold in a Christian's life and someone fooling themselves and saying they are really saved when they are not?

Hello and welcome to CF. :)

Salvation is a free gift from God because He is a loving Father and desires to save mankind and heal us from the effects of our sins. (Of course He respects the free will He has created us with so we must accept His forgiveness and believe in Him.)

We cannot possibly do anything to "earn" salvation.

However, once we have turned to God, we should follow Christ's example. We start out as babies, and grow spiritually and in our transformation to be like Christ. God understands this. The more e mature, the more He actually shows us where we still need to grow, so trust me, if we are paying attention to God, we are always going to be aware of our sin (which means missing the mark of Christ - and we ALL do, to some degree, and rather continually at that). The best thing for us is to recognize that fact, let it humble us, ask forgiveness, and keep following Christ, trying not to do it again. In this we grow, and will sin less. Disciplines such as fasting, and learning about Christ, prayer, reading the Scriptures, being loving to others, all help in this process. But it is a lifelong process. If we ever think we have "arrived" and are as perfect as Christ, we are either deluded or we don't understand what that means. But God has mercy on us, especially as we genuinely seek Him and aren't making excuses to coddle our fleshly desires.

I hope that helps a little. :)

God be with you, dear one.

Upvote 0

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi and welcome! :wave:

That is correct. There is nothing we can do to earn our salvation.

Do you value Jesus above all things? Are you sorry for your sins and sincerely purpose not to do them anymore? Do you place your hope of salvation, not in anything you have done, but in the finished work of Christ on the Cross? That's believing and repenting. And it doesn't have to be re-done each day.

Here's some Scripture and teaching on who you are in Christ when you are born again. It came from an article dealing with the question of if a Christian could lose their salvation, but it lays out the Scriptures really nice so I thought it might help. (Can a Christian lose salvation?)

A Christian is a new creation. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17). A Christian is not simply an “improved” version of a person; a Christian is an entirely new creature. He is “in Christ.” For a Christian to lose salvation, the new creation would have to be destroyed.

A Christian is redeemed. “For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect” (1 Peter 1:18–19). The word redeemed refers to a purchase being made, a price being paid. We were purchased at the cost of Christ’s death. For a Christian to lose salvation, God Himself would have to revoke His purchase of the individual for whom He paid with the precious blood of Christ.

A Christian is justified. “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 5:1). To justify is to declare righteous. All those who receive Jesus as Savior are “declared righteous” by God. For a Christian to lose salvation, God would have to go back on His Word and “un-declare” what He had previously declared. Those absolved of guilt would have to be tried again and found guilty. God would have to reverse the sentence handed down from the divine bench.

A Christian is promised eternal life. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). Eternal life is the promise of spending forever in heaven with God. God promises, “Believe and you will have eternal life.” For a Christian to lose salvation, eternal life would have to be redefined. The Christian is promised to live forever. Does eternal not mean “eternal”?

A Christian is marked by God and sealed by the Spirit. “You also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory” (Ephesians 1:13–14). At the moment of faith, the new Christian is marked and sealed with the Spirit, who was promised to act as a deposit to guarantee the heavenly inheritance. The end result is that God’s glory is praised. For a Christian to lose salvation, God would have to erase the mark, withdraw the Spirit, cancel the deposit, break His promise, revoke the guarantee, keep the inheritance, forego the praise, and lessen His glory.

A Christian is guaranteed glorification. “Those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified” (Romans 8:30). According to Romans 5:1, justification is ours at the moment of faith. According to Romans 8:30, glorification comes with justification. All those whom God justifies are promised to be glorified. This promise will be fulfilled when Christians receive their perfect resurrection bodies in heaven. If a Christian can lose salvation, then Romans 8:30 is in error, because God could not guarantee glorification for all those whom He predestines, calls, and justifies.

Both may be habitual sin, but one is hated, despised and grieved over. There are efforts made to avoid falling into it. If it is showing itself beyond our ability to handle it we seek out council.
The sin by one who isn't really saved shows itself in a callousness towards sin. They may talk a lot about God being loving and merciful, and how no one is perfect. But the Bible says that "Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God’s seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. By this the children of God are distinguished from the children of the devil: Anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is anyone who does not love his brother. (1 John 3:9-10)" I think the key word here is "practice sin". All new believers bring baggage with us. We have to learn what is a sin to God and what isn't, what we need to overcome. We have to learn to "Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence, but now even more in my absence,continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God who works in you to will and to act on behalf of His good pleasure (Philippians 2:12-13). I don't think you would be posting on this board if you weren't desiring to please God and willing to work out your salvation.

Now hopefully someone smarter then me will come along here. :pray:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
By the way, what you call a "stronghold" is probably the same as what the Fathers called "passions" ... which are generally GOOD things God created but which in this evil world in our bent to self, we indulge in a wrong way and they grow, and grow, and can become very difficult to fight. But we must fight them. There are ways of doing this. Sometimes particular ways we can fight them mentally, depending on what they are, but always with prayer, asking for help from God (because we NEED help to fight what the demons establish in us), and secondly fasting. Those are the two main ways. Sometimes a LOT of prayer and fasting. (Remember Jesus said "this kind only goes out by prayer and fasting.")

Fasting is a complex thing. For almost all people it should not mean complete abstinence of food for days ... it is generally enough to avoid a particular kind of food (like a Daniel fast of vegetables, etc. - avoiding meat and rich things) possibly also fasting from all food for just part of a day, such as eating only 1-2 light meals. Total fasting tends to either make people prideful, or focus too much on the physical, or simply weaken them too much to do any real spiritual work.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Salvation begins with the words of Paul spoken to Agrippa:

copyChkboxOff.gif
Act 26:20 - ...that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

To say salvation is not of works that anyone should boast is from the letter to the Ephesians:

Eph 2:9 - Not of works, lest any man should boast.

It says to the Ephesians that they did not enter into the salvation of God as a reward for anything they had done previously. Paul is consistent throughout his letters in saying that. He says also that we are not justified by keeping the rituals of purity of the Jewish law:

copyChkboxOff.gif
Gal 2:16 - Knowing that a man is not justified by the works ofthe law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ...

He described those "works of the law" in his letter to the Colossians:

copyChkboxOff.gif
Col 2:21 - “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,”

We enter into the salvation of God by grace through faith, but it is our works that keep us in that salvation, as James said:

copyChkboxOff.gif
Jas 2:24 - You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

That has been the teaching of Christianity from the beginning.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

My Church teaches that salvation is a cooperative endeavor; God offers it and we accept it (or reject it). It does not come about as a meritorious reward for human effort. It doesn’t work that way.

However, we do have a cooperative role in the process.

We are all sinners and we will sin. While sin is to be avoided, it is still part of the equation. So when you sin, you need to ask for God to forgive you.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Are you attending church? That's important to take the sacrament and be part of a Christian organization. It should help with the sinning.

Upvote 0

LynnSmith

Mar 28, 2019
Here
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Don’t let that guilt convince you that it’s all too hard. Keep praying. Keep reading. Hang around others who truly love the Lord. Talk to God. Sing praises. Worship Him. Make it your life, not a chore. Put God first and you will start to see how you can defeat sin because you have the power of the Holy Spirit. We all sin. No one is perfect. But we can all do much better than what we are doing now. Build your relationship with your Father.

• Friendly
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Actually, the Christian life is a life of constant temptation, tribulation, trials, pitfalls, stumbling, and mistakes. If you expected a different outcome, you misunderstood what the Christian faith is about.

In the Christian faith, we understand that salvation is more than justification, it includes our sanctification as well. In sanctification, we must constantly grow toward holiness. But, this is not without some sort of warfare. We must constantly be mortifying sin and growing in our personal knowledge of Jesus, and this can only be accomplished by God's grace in us and through the means of prayer, Scripture, communion with other believers, and more.

We often speak of "saved" when we speak of where we stand before God positionally, but there is still other aspects of our salvation that involves what happens in our lives (salvation from the presence of sin).

Upvote 0

BugandAbby

Apr 3, 2019
West Tennessee
✟9,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the Christian life is a life of constant temptation, tribulation, trials, pitfalls, stumbling, and mistakes. If you expected a different outcome, you misunderstood what the Christian faith is about.

In the Christian faith, we understand that salvation is more than justification, it includes our sanctification as well. In sanctification, we must constantly grow toward holiness. But, this is not without some sort of warfare. We must constantly be mortifying sin and growing in our personal knowledge of Jesus, and this can only be accomplished by God's grace in us and through the means of prayer, Scripture, communion with other believers, and more.

We often speak of "saved" when we speak of where we stand before God positionally, but there is still other aspects of our salvation that involves what happens in our lives (salvation from the presence of sin).
Thank you very much for your wise words - I am getting the warfare and not being saved at all confused I suppose - it sounds like it's a way of realizing where we stand and trusting God to handle it??

Upvote 0

BugandAbby

Apr 3, 2019
West Tennessee
✟9,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don’t let that guilt convince you that it’s all too hard. Keep praying. Keep reading. Hang around others who truly love the Lord. Talk to God. Sing praises. Worship Him. Make it your life, not a chore. Put God first and you will start to see how you can defeat sin because you have the power of the Holy Spirit. We all sin. No one is perfect. But we can all do much better than what we are doing now. Build your relationship with your Father.
Thanks for your words of comfort I need those very much - I have not spoken about this to anyone - they all think I am just fine- very worrisome to me but this community is helping so much!

Upvote 0

BugandAbby

Apr 3, 2019
West Tennessee
✟9,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My Church teaches that salvation is a cooperative endeavor; God offers it and we accept it (or reject it). It does not come about as a meritorious reward for human effort. It doesn’t work that way.

However, we do have a cooperative role in the process.

We are all sinners and we will sin. While sin is to be avoided, it is still part of the equation. So when you sin, you need to ask for God to forgive you.
Yes - that speaks to me - I guess what I'm hearing is pray and say yes to God, read your bible, pray, love others and try not give in to temptation - try to look for God in everyday life and wait for Him

Upvote 0

LynnSmith

Mar 28, 2019
Here
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your words of comfort I need those very much - I have not spoken about this to anyone - they all think I am just fine- very worrisome to me but this community is helping so much!
Comfort is important. So much so that the Holy Spirit is known as such. Try not worry. Pray. Don’t worry.

I have told you these things while I am still with you. But the Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will help you remember everything that I have told you. Peace I leave with you; My [perfect] peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be afraid. [Let My perfect peace calm you in every circumstance and give you courage and strength for every challenge.
‭‭JOHN‬ ‭14:25-27‬ ‭AMP‬‬

Do not be anxious or worried about anything, but in everything [every circumstance and situation] by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, continue to make your [specific] requests known to God. And the peace of God [that peace which reassures the heart, that peace] which transcends all understanding, [that peace which] stands guard over your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus [is yours].
‭‭PHILIPPIANS‬ ‭4:6-7‬ ‭AMP‬‬

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BugandAbby

Apr 3, 2019
West Tennessee
✟9,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By the way, what you call a "stronghold" is probably the same as what the Fathers called "passions" ... which are generally GOOD things God created but which in this evil world in our bent to self, we indulge in a wrong way and they grow, and grow, and can become very difficult to fight. But we must fight them. There are ways of doing this. Sometimes particular ways we can fight them mentally, depending on what they are, but always with prayer, asking for help from God (because we NEED help to fight what the demons establish in us), and secondly fasting. Those are the two main ways. Sometimes a LOT of prayer and fasting. (Remember Jesus said "this kind only goes out by prayer and fasting.")

Fasting is a complex thing. For almost all people it should not mean complete abstinence of food for days ... it is generally enough to avoid a particular kind of food (like a Daniel fast of vegetables, etc. - avoiding meat and rich things) possibly also fasting from all food for just part of a day, such as eating only 1-2 light meals. Total fasting tends to either make people prideful, or focus too much on the physical, or simply weaken them too much to do any real spiritual work.[/QUOTE

Yours are wise words - I am all in on the indulge thing as the Lord knows I have done my share of that. And prayer is a way to talk to the Father and ask for help. I am very grateful you brought up fasting - I have never studied that and never practiced it much more than a day or two and didn't really know what I was doing.
How do you keep your motives pure - I mean do you say ok I'm going to fast to ..... do what??
Obey the Lord and defeat temptations or spirits of sin through Him? And if so how do I keep my impure motives from creeping in like Hey if I can fast for three days I'll loose a few pounds and look great!
I trust God and His part of this relationship - it's my part I'm worried about - and yes I do believe we all have a part to play or at least that's what I'm hearing from everyone.
Thanks much

Upvote 0

BugandAbby

Apr 3, 2019
West Tennessee
✟9,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Comfort is important. So much so that the Holy Spirit is known as such. Try not worry. Pray. Don’t worry.

I have told you these things while I am still with you. But the Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will help you remember everything that I have told you. Peace I leave with you; My [perfect] peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be afraid. [Let My perfect peace calm you in every circumstance and give you courage and strength for every challenge.
‭‭JOHN‬ ‭14:25-27‬ ‭AMP‬‬

Do not be anxious or worried about anything, but in everything [every circumstance and situation] by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, continue to make your [specific] requests known to God. And the peace of God [that peace which reassures the heart, that peace] which transcends all understanding, [that peace which] stands guard over your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus [is yours].
‭‭PHILIPPIANS‬ ‭4:6-7‬ ‭AMP‬‬

God Bless you and yours and I thank Him for this wonderful community of believers

Upvote 0

LynnSmith

Mar 28, 2019
Here
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God Bless you and yours and I thank Him for this wonderful community of believers
We were all brought here for one reason or another. I’m trying to deepen my relationship, strengthen my walk and I’m talking with you and others here, that happens. God works is such amazing ways!

Upvote 0

BugandAbby

Apr 3, 2019
West Tennessee
✟9,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi and welcome! :wave:

That is correct. There is nothing we can do to earn our salvation.

Do you value Jesus above all things? Are you sorry for your sins and sincerely purpose not to do them anymore? Do you place your hope of salvation, not in anything you have done, but in the finished work of Christ on the Cross? That's believing and repenting. And it doesn't have to be re-done each day.

Here's some Scripture and teaching on who you are in Christ when you are born again. It came from an article dealing with the question of if a Christian could lose their salvation, but it lays out the Scriptures really nice so I thought it might help. (Can a Christian lose salvation?)

A Christian is a new creation. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17). A Christian is not simply an “improved” version of a person; a Christian is an entirely new creature. He is “in Christ.” For a Christian to lose salvation, the new creation would have to be destroyed.

A Christian is redeemed. “For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect” (1 Peter 1:18–19). The word redeemed refers to a purchase being made, a price being paid. We were purchased at the cost of Christ’s death. For a Christian to lose salvation, God Himself would have to revoke His purchase of the individual for whom He paid with the precious blood of Christ.

A Christian is justified. “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 5:1). To justify is to declare righteous. All those who receive Jesus as Savior are “declared righteous” by God. For a Christian to lose salvation, God would have to go back on His Word and “un-declare” what He had previously declared. Those absolved of guilt would have to be tried again and found guilty. God would have to reverse the sentence handed down from the divine bench.

A Christian is promised eternal life. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). Eternal life is the promise of spending forever in heaven with God. God promises, “Believe and you will have eternal life.” For a Christian to lose salvation, eternal life would have to be redefined. The Christian is promised to live forever. Does eternal not mean “eternal”?

A Christian is marked by God and sealed by the Spirit. “You also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory” (Ephesians 1:13–14). At the moment of faith, the new Christian is marked and sealed with the Spirit, who was promised to act as a deposit to guarantee the heavenly inheritance. The end result is that God’s glory is praised. For a Christian to lose salvation, God would have to erase the mark, withdraw the Spirit, cancel the deposit, break His promise, revoke the guarantee, keep the inheritance, forego the praise, and lessen His glory.

A Christian is guaranteed glorification. “Those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified” (Romans 8:30). According to Romans 5:1, justification is ours at the moment of faith. According to Romans 8:30, glorification comes with justification. All those whom God justifies are promised to be glorified. This promise will be fulfilled when Christians receive their perfect resurrection bodies in heaven. If a Christian can lose salvation, then Romans 8:30 is in error, because God could not guarantee glorification for all those whom He predestines, calls, and justifies.

Both may be habitual sin, but one is hated, despised and grieved over. There are efforts made to avoid falling into it. If it is showing itself beyond our ability to handle it we seek out council.
The sin by one who isn't really saved shows itself in a callousness towards sin. They may talk a lot about God being loving and merciful, and how no one is perfect. But the Bible says that "Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God’s seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. By this the children of God are distinguished from the children of the devil: Anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is anyone who does not love his brother. (1 John 3:9-10)" I think the key word here is "practice sin". All new believers bring baggage with us. We have to learn what is a sin to God and what isn't, what we need to overcome. We have to learn to "Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence, but now even more in my absence,continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God who works in you to will and to act on behalf of His good pleasure (Philippians 2:12-13). I don't think you would be posting on this board if you weren't desiring to please God and willing to work out your salvation.

Now hopefully someone smarter then me will come along here. :pray:

Wow! You are truly blessed by God to discern His word and communicate it - your last paragraph where you said what the situation "looks like" in real life day to day language really helped me - also very comforting Philippians 2:12-13 and the following sentence. Thanks very much!

Upvote 0

BugandAbby

Apr 3, 2019
West Tennessee
✟9,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF. :)

Salvation is a free gift from God because He is a loving Father and desires to save mankind and heal us from the effects of our sins. (Of course He respects the free will He has created us with so we must accept His forgiveness and believe in Him.)

We cannot possibly do anything to "earn" salvation.

However, once we have turned to God, we should follow Christ's example. We start out as babies, and grow spiritually and in our transformation to be like Christ. God understands this. The more e mature, the more He actually shows us where we still need to grow, so trust me, if we are paying attention to God, we are always going to be aware of our sin (which means missing the mark of Christ - and we ALL do, to some degree, and rather continually at that). The best thing for us is to recognize that fact, let it humble us, ask forgiveness, and keep following Christ, trying not to do it again. In this we grow, and will sin less. Disciplines such as fasting, and learning about Christ, prayer, reading the Scriptures, being loving to others, all help in this process. But it is a lifelong process. If we ever think we have "arrived" and are as perfect as Christ, we are either deluded or we don't understand what that means. But God has mercy on us, especially as we genuinely seek Him and aren't making excuses to coddle our fleshly desires.

I hope that helps a little. :)

God be with you, dear one.

Upvote 0