✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hypothetical:

Suppose a man hears the gospel, believes in it 100% and that day asks Jesus to be his saviour.

A) What if later in his life this same man commits adultery 20 times, rapes 100 people and murders 20 people and then kills himself.

B) what if the man did not do the above but 50 years later he denies Jesus as his saviour and converts to another religion

God cannot lie and in John 3:16, Jesus says that the man will not perish but will have everlasting life.

Does that mean the man in both circumstances will die and go to heaven?

If just belief was enough then satan and his angels would be saved.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hypothetical:

Suppose a man hears the gospel, believes in it 100% and that day asks Jesus to be his saviour.

A) What if later in his life this same man commits adultery 20 times, rapes 100 people and murders 20 people and then kills himself.

B) what if the man did not do the above but 50 years later he denies Jesus as his saviour and converts to another religion

God cannot lie and in John 3:16, Jesus says that the man will not perish but will have everlasting life.

Does that mean the man in both circumstances will die and go to heaven?

Interesting question. Like mentioned before, we don't really know who will be saved but given the study of James through this thread the answer would be "A" he is still saved and "B" he is not. Because we are saved by faith not works.
However, I don't really like this conclusion. I think we are judged by our hearts and what is in them. Can one really kill, and rape repeatedly and have faith in their heart? That is hard for me to accept. Personally for me action and belief go hand in hand.
Finally, this isn't an argument that I can't prove through Bible quotes or expect everyone to believe, but I was told by God to be kind and generous in life. Could I truly have faith and not try to live up to this command?

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting question. Like mentioned before, we don't really know who will be saved but given the study of James through this thread the answer would be "A" he is still saved and "B" he is not. Because we are saved by faith not works.
However, I don't really like this conclusion. I think we are judged by our hearts and what is in them. Can one really kill, and rape repeatedly and have faith in their heart? That is hard for me to accept. Personally for me action and belief go hand in hand.
Finally, this isn't an argument that I can't prove through Bible quotes or expect everyone to believe, but I was told by God to be kind and generous in life. Could I truly have faith and not try to live up to this command?
I don’t think it’s wise to base what we think happens on our own mind and not on what the Bible says

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t think it’s wise to base what we think happens on our own mind and not on what the Bible says

I can't help it, it keeps following me around. BTW congratulations on your move from Chile to the UK, the weather must be quite an adjustment.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry I must have you confused with another poster.

Now, I'm getting really confused. What makes you think that?
Sorry I must have you confused with another poster.

Now, I'm getting really confused. What makes you think that?
You said you don’t like certain conclusions and said you think you are judged by our hearts. Why do you think this when not said in bible?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You said you don’t like certain conclusions and said you think you are judged by our hearts. Why do you think this when not said in bible?

"God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God." God knows what is in our hearts. The conclusion I didn't like was your hypothetical situation. Where you seem to imply rape, murder and suicide are fine as long as you maintain faith. (I'm sure you don't really believe that, maybe just trying to make a point?) I'm more of a ... "Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds" kind of believer. That was the point of my post and example, my apologies I wasn't more clear.

Upvote 0