Salvation by faith that leads to evidence of salvation

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟577,847.00
Faith
Christian
The below is my attempt to understand salvation by faith but why I do not accept it at the bottom because of other things Jesus said

John 5:38-40
38 But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. 39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life

I know this has been used to condemn the need to work with God for your salvation but that you just receive salvation in a moment but then people say you have not truly been saved if you are not changed. But they prayed exactly what they said. How then do you get saved? and if getting saved would make all things easy Jesus wouldn't teach you need to be watchful. I can see how John 5:38-40 can be interpreted to refer to us orthodox who believe we could perform any righteousness of our own to be worthy of salvation that not every believer can do. This is my attempt to understand salvation by faith but also at the end why I do not believe it and have trouble believing it. We must not give people false assurance they will be saved from their sins if they are not denying themselves daily

Jesus did say He has to be our Lord but He also said He is the Saviour of His people. We have to try to make Him our Lord but we won't be able to without receiving salvation as a gift. We receive salvation as a gift when we ask to make Him our Lord and Saviour so we are not trying to do away with the Law. Those who are saved will keep it. The gospel is fair for we are all sinners who have broken the law and will never do anything but break the Law no matter what we try. So what about willful sins? That person has rejected Jesus and needs to fear he will die before he is reconciled with God. What I am saying we do not have to fear because of sins of weakness we can lose our salvation. I mean the sins that we do which we hate as Paul said. If we have received salvation as a gift the promise is that Christ will deliver us from those sins. We may not be alive tommorow we have to accept salvation as a gift.

Paul said salvation is by grace lest any man should boast and Jesus teaches true faith leads to salvation

John 6:47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me[a] has everlasting life
John 5:24 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

But I interpreted John 6:47 and John 5:24 to just mean Jesus way leads to heaven and when His Spirit is in you you are saved from your sins but you can lose salvation if you are not truly believing in christ evidence by salvation from sin. Because your mind is not renewed enough

I have thought the thoughts in the below paragraph but I still do not believe it is true that we do not have to discipline our own body but just have good understanding that does not continually need to be rekindled. I think our salvation is like a flame the fire of the Holy Spirit and our spiritual understanding it continually dies like a lamp but we have to keep putting oil to keep it alive so we may be alive. We are given greater understanding to keep us from further sin when we discipline our body. The end is that we have to overcome sins of the flesh. The wise always feared they do not have enough oil. Though having spiritual understanding helps fight sin we have to be constantly watchful and expecting the devil to try to make us fall in sin. And God wants us to be tested to prove that we love Him. And He gives enough chances.We must make the effort to not give into the sin that so easily ensnares us.

Paul says in Romans 8:4-5 the reason we can't live righteous is because we don't have spiritual understanding. We may have been renewed a bit and stayed away from sin for a bit and thought we were saved but actually we never fully had spiritual understanding or it would not be normal to sin. Maybe it happens but it is not normal. We could have lost spiritual understanding because of forgetfulness so Paul said to the Galatians they had fallen from grace. They accepted and believed it a bit initially so the Spirit worked in them but time tells how much they believed
So Paul said we must give careful heed to the things we have heard lest we drift away. Fighting sin may also help us gain spiritual understanding but we do it by directing our energies to learning the word of God and reading the word of God when away from sin may give greater spiritual understanding

Paul said nothing in our flesh is good
the desire to prove we can be righteous by our intention is sin.

Romans 8:3-8
"3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God."

Now here is why I do not believe salvation is by faith alone. As orthodox we do believe salvation is by faith alone that has works but it is not just about believing in Jesus and such faith must always be kept alive

Also I think the above is wrong because many times when we sin we do not fully hate the sin even though we know it is bad so it is like a willful sin because we enjoy the sin
we try to tell ourselves we hate it and excuse ourselves but we do not. We clearly do not hate the sin if we are not struggling hard against it but if we resist very hard and sin it is because we are still weak and not pure but we will try harder next time not to sin and we will overcome it if we really hate the sin

We have to fear we are not making enough effort to make Him Lord. Otherwise we are just excusing ourselves and placing the blame on God for not saving us. Christ has promised to save those who try and we should fear falling in sin too much will stop Him from giving us strength

How do you explain the below verses? and the book of revelations says we must be watchful. Jesus is saying to true believers they must be watchful because if the doorkeeper was watchful he would have been saved. If just being saved would keep you from sin without maintaining your salvation by reading the word why the need to be watchful?

Jesus never said His way was easy but rather narrow and difficult. He who says he knows God ought to walk as He walked.

It is up to us to deny ourselves daily and take up the cross daily.
Jesus said watch therefore for you do not know when your Lord is coming. It is up to us. If the doorkeeper had known what hour the thief would come he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into.
Blessed is the man who endures temptation for he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. If God cuts off the olive branches which is also because the old covenant did not produce fruit He will also cut us off if we do not continue in His goodness because Jesus said the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it.
We need the fruit of self control. Just like the wise virgins we must always be worried that we do not have enough oil which is the fruit of the Holy Spirit in our lives. We can not rely on Jesus to save us if we are not doing our very best or not trying also to fight sin by renewing our mind because of our laziness

2 Peter 1:4-20
4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. 10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

No one and not one thing can bring harm to a person if he does not harm himself; and conversely, a thousand ways and means to salvation will not help the person who will not avoid sin
St Nikon of Optina

Last edited:

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is it that saves you Mike?
Is it being there for religious rites? Is it doing lots of 'good' works or is it the belief that Jesus has died and rose again to redeem you?
John 3 v 16-18 says it is belief in Jesus.
James talks about showing that one has faith by the 'good work' one does and asks how someone depending on works can show that they have faith.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟577,847.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks for your reply John. I appreciate it.

But why did Jesus command to be watchful ? And why did Jesus say in Matthew he who hears these sayings of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. Those commandments are not easy Jesus said the way is narrow impossible without Christ but possible with Him
If just willful sins could put us in hell ( not that all sins are not willful but I mean sins that we do not do out of weakness but because we are ashamed of our Christianity and other Christians and turn away from others which is probably what is meant by beat your fellow servants) Jesus wouldn't say if your hand causes you to sin cut it off. He means give up all worldly things to be renewed with the word of God even for those who dont mock Christ by living in sin in despise to Christ laws

Anyway the saved person would consistently bear good fruit as Jesus said a tree is known by its fruit. Therefore those good works done from abiding in Christ are very necessary

Paul said he disciplined his body. His salvation needed to be kept alive. That is why Jesus said we have to pray always that we may escape all things to stand before Him. He said also we have to keep all His laws in Matthew 5:17-20

The book of 1 John

1 John 2:15-17
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

Luke 21:34-36
34 “But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. 35 For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth. 36 Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy[c] to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

Matthew 5:17-20
17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mike,
What is it that saves you?

What is it that keeps you saved or can one loose salvation?

There is no point in discussing Christian living unless you are certain that you are a Christian.

If you are certain, then think about what Jesus did for us. as romans 5 says when we hated God, Jesus died and rose again to save us.
If Jesus was prepared to do that for us, will he let us drift away because we cannot obey his commands to love one another etc.

Is 1 john 1 v9 meaningless.

God knows we are FAILURES, no one can obey God, no one can keep Gods commands, no one can do all that the bible says we should do.

BUT God knew this before he sent Jesus to save us.

Reactions: Late Apex
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mike,
What is it that saves you?

What is it that keeps you saved or can one loose salvation?

If I may, the question must be asked, what condemns you? If we know the problem, then we can search for a solution.

What is it that keeps you condemned and can you 'loose' your condemnation?

There is no point in discussing Christian living unless you are certain that you are a Christian.

Which comes first, being a Christian, then live as a Christian, or living as a Christian to become a Christian?

If you are certain, then think about what Jesus did for us. as romans 5 says when we hated God, Jesus died and rose again to save us.
If Jesus was prepared to do that for us, will he let us drift away because we cannot obey his commands to love one another etc.

Jesus said He came to seek and to save that which was lost; He never said He came to die and rise again to save the lost.

Is 1 john 1 v9 meaningless.

John did not say he saw and bore witness to Jesus' death. It was Jesus' life which was manifested to him.

God knows we are FAILURES, no one can obey God, no one can keep Gods commands, no one can do all that the bible says we should do.

Why do you fail God? Does this please Him? And what in the world do you mean by NO ONE can obey God? And NO ONE can keep His commands? Isn't this what condemned you? Why would you want to live in condemnation?

Your testimony says you don't love Jesus. Your testimony says He isn't your Master, Lord, nor Savior.

BUT God knew this before he sent Jesus to save us.

So, you still live as an unsaved Gentile and think this is okay with God. Do you think you can live as the unsaved and be saved?

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said that the law of God is, to love the lord your God with all your heart mind and spirit and to love your neighbour as yourself.

Tell me how do you do this?

As Jesus said, by keeping His commandments, the very thing you say we can't do. Do you have another way than what Jesus told us? I'd be interested in hearing it.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said that if you believe in Him you will not be condemned, if you believe not, you are condemned already. So your belief in Jesus I your salvation.

Let's see if you believe Jesus. He said, but if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.

Do you believe this? Are these words of truth your way to salvation? Or, will you deny Jesus and find another way to enter life?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As Jesus said, by keeping His commandments, the very thing you say we can't do. Do you have another way than what Jesus told us? I'd be interested in hearing it.

Anyone can say 'I do this or I do that'

How do you keep God's laws?
How do you love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind, when you are asleep, or working hard, or concentrating on some other matter and not keeping this command.
Tell me how you manage to do this.

Otherwise you are as great a FAILURE as I am and just as in need of forgiveness as I am.

You have forgotten that 'All have Sinned.'
that 'No one is rightous' and that it is by grace we are saved, not by our keeping of the law.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Anyone can say 'I do this or I do that'

How do you keep God's laws?
How do you love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind, when you are asleep, or working hard, or concentrating on some other matter and not keeping this command.
Tell me how you manage to do this.

Otherwise you are as great a FAILURE as I am and just as in need of forgiveness as I am.

You have forgotten that 'All have Sinned.'
that 'No one is rightous' and that it is by grace we are saved, not by our keeping of the law.

Well John says if you don't keep His commandments, you don't know Him and you are a liar.

Are you admitting you are a liar and don't know Him?

Do you love Jesus? He said if you love Me, keep the commandments.

How do I manage this? It is solely by His power and mercy. And I ask, why is it you can't keep His commandments? Are you trying to do it on your own? Or, are you even trying at all?

One more thing, Jesus said if you want to enter life, keep the commandments. Have you found another way to enter life than what Jesus said?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi EmSw,
Oh i'm all those things and more, I'm sorry to say.
You see I know that NoOne can keep God's law, or Jesus's commandments, as
1 John 1:8-10New International Version (NIV)
8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our and purify us from all unrighteousness.10 we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us."

So tell me are you like me and every other Christian a FAILURE, or are you deceiving yourself.

What is the truth?

Upvote 0

Late Apex

Apr 18, 2017
USA
✟11,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The below is my attempt to understand salvation by faith but why I do not accept it at the bottom because of other things Jesus said

John 5:38-40
38 But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. 39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life

I know this has been used to condemn the need to work with God for your salvation but that you just receive salvation in a moment but then people say you have not truly been saved if you are not changed. But they prayed exactly what they said. How then do you get saved? and if getting saved would make all things easy Jesus wouldn't teach you need to be watchful. I can see how John 5:38-40 can be interpreted to refer to us orthodox who believe we could perform any righteousness of our own to be worthy of salvation that not every believer can do. This is my attempt to understand salvation by faith but also at the end why I do not believe it and have trouble believing it. We must not give people false assurance they will be saved from their sins if they are not denying themselves daily

Jesus did say He has to be our Lord but He also said He is the Saviour of His people. We have to try to make Him our Lord but we won't be able to without receiving salvation as a gift. We receive salvation as a gift when we ask to make Him our Lord and Saviour so we are not trying to do away with the Law. Those who are saved will keep it. The gospel is fair for we are all sinners who have broken the law and will never do anything but break the Law no matter what we try. So what about willful sins? That person has rejected Jesus and needs to fear he will die before he is reconciled with God. What I am saying we do not have to fear because of sins of weakness we can lose our salvation. I mean the sins that we do which we hate as Paul said. If we have received salvation as a gift the promise is that Christ will deliver us from those sins. We may not be alive tommorow we have to accept salvation as a gift.

Paul said salvation is by grace lest any man should boast and Jesus teaches true faith leads to salvation

John 6:47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me[a] has everlasting life
John 5:24 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

But I interpreted John 6:47 and John 5:24 to just mean Jesus way leads to heaven and when His Spirit is in you you are saved from your sins but you can lose salvation if you are not truly believing in christ evidence by salvation from sin. Because your mind is not renewed enough

I have thought the thoughts in the below paragraph but I still do not believe it is true that we do not have to discipline our own body but just have good understanding that does not continually need to be rekindled. I think our salvation is like a flame the fire of the Holy Spirit and our spiritual understanding it continually dies like a lamp but we have to keep putting oil to keep it alive so we may be alive. We are given greater understanding to keep us from further sin when we discipline our body. The end is that we have to overcome sins of the flesh. The wise always feared they do not have enough oil. Though having spiritual understanding helps fight sin we have to be constantly watchful and expecting the devil to try to make us fall in sin. And God wants us to be tested to prove that we love Him. And He gives enough chances.We must make the effort to not give into the sin that so easily ensnares us.

Paul says in Romans 8:4-5 the reason we can't live righteous is because we don't have spiritual understanding. We may have been renewed a bit and stayed away from sin for a bit and thought we were saved but actually we never fully had spiritual understanding or it would not be normal to sin. Maybe it happens but it is not normal. We could have lost spiritual understanding because of forgetfulness so Paul said to the Galatians they had fallen from grace. They accepted and believed it a bit initially so the Spirit worked in them but time tells how much they believed
So Paul said we must give careful heed to the things we have heard lest we drift away. Fighting sin may also help us gain spiritual understanding but we do it by directing our energies to learning the word of God and reading the word of God when away from sin may give greater spiritual understanding

Paul said nothing in our flesh is good
the desire to prove we can be righteous by our intention is sin.

Romans 8:3-8
"3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God."

Now here is why I do not believe salvation is by faith alone. As orthodox we do believe salvation is by faith alone that has works but it is not just about believing in Jesus and such faith must always be kept alive

Also I think the above is wrong because many times when we sin we do not fully hate the sin even though we know it is bad so it is like a willful sin because we enjoy the sin
we try to tell ourselves we hate it and excuse ourselves but we do not. We clearly do not hate the sin if we are not struggling hard against it but if we resist very hard and sin it is because we are still weak and not pure but we will try harder next time not to sin and we will overcome it if we really hate the sin

We have to fear we are not making enough effort to make Him Lord. Otherwise we are just excusing ourselves and placing the blame on God for not saving us. Christ has promised to save those who try and we should fear falling in sin too much will stop Him from giving us strength

How do you explain the below verses? and the book of revelations says we must be watchful. Jesus is saying to true believers they must be watchful because if the doorkeeper was watchful he would have been saved. If just being saved would keep you from sin without maintaining your salvation by reading the word why the need to be watchful?

Jesus never said His way was easy but rather narrow and difficult. He who says he knows God ought to walk as He walked.

It is up to us to deny ourselves daily and take up the cross daily.
Jesus said watch therefore for you do not know when your Lord is coming. It is up to us. If the doorkeeper had known what hour the thief would come he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into.
Blessed is the man who endures temptation for he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. If God cuts off the olive branches which is also because the old covenant did not produce fruit He will also cut us off if we do not continue in His goodness because Jesus said the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it.
We need the fruit of self control. Just like the wise virgins we must always be worried that we do not have enough oil which is the fruit of the Holy Spirit in our lives. We can not rely on Jesus to save us if we are not doing our very best or not trying also to fight sin by renewing our mind because of our laziness

2 Peter 1:4-20
4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. 10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

No one and not one thing can bring harm to a person if he does not harm himself; and conversely, a thousand ways and means to salvation will not help the person who will not avoid sin
St Nikon of Optina

Who saves? God does.
Who does He save? People who are dead in their trespasses and sins.
What can a dead person do to save himself? Nothing. They are dead.
Who can separate us from God's love?

Romans 8:
[35] Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
[36] As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
[37] Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
[38] For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
[39] Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

"nor any other creature" would also include yourself.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi EmSw,
Oh i'm all those things and more, I'm sorry to say.
You see I know that NoOne can keep God's law, or Jesus's commandments, as
1 John 1:8-10New International Version (NIV)
8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our and purify us from all unrighteousness.10 we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us."

So tell me are you like me and every other Christian a FAILURE, or are you deceiving yourself.

What is the truth?

Since you don't know Him (by your own admission), why are you trying to tell me anything about His commandments? John also says you are a liar by not keeping His commandments.

Why are you are trying to use 1 John 1:8 to convince me we can't keep the commandments? Let me help you out.

Luke 1
5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth.
6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

Since you admit to not keeping His commandments, thereby not knowing Jesus, I am sure you knew nothing about these passages from Luke. However, Zacharias and Elisabeth dispel your notion.

Here's another truth which you probably didn't know - we are called to be overcomers and not failures. Look at these verses from Revelation -

Revelation 2:7 Revelation 2:11 Revelation 2:17 Revelation 2:26 Revelation 3:5 Revelation 3:12 Revelation 3:21

These verses will help you from your failures.

Now John, you know the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Late Apex

Apr 18, 2017
USA
✟11,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's see if you believe Jesus. He said, but if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.

Do you believe this? Are these words of truth your way to salvation? Or, will you deny Jesus and find another way to enter life?

The commandments are good. I want to follow His commandments. I assume any real Christian wants to follow His commandments.
Can you tell me what the bolded part means and what it is referring to in the following passage?

Matthew 19:
[16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
[17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
[18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
[19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
[20] The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
[21] Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
[22] But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
[23] Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
[24] And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
[25] When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
[26] But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The commandments are good. I want to follow His commandments. I assume any real Christian wants to follow His commandments.
Can you tell me what the bolded part means and what it is referring to in the following passage?

Matthew 19:
[16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
[17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
[18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
[19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
[20] The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
[21] Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
[22] But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
[23] Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
[24] And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
[25] When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
[26] But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

It is impossible for man to save himself. Just like it is impossible for man to make the rules for salvation. Who makes the rules for salvation? Yet man wants to question how God does save a man. They think they know the way, but only Jesus is the way, truth, and life.

If Jesus tells us if we want to enter life, keep the commandments, some men just don't want to do it that way. They have another way that by-passes the way Jesus says. However, that is the only way which makes it possible to be saved. Do your way, and it is impossible.

Upvote 0

Late Apex

Apr 18, 2017
USA
✟11,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is impossible for man to save himself. Just like it is impossible for man to make the rules for salvation. Who makes the rules for salvation? Yet man wants to question how God does save a man. They think they know the way, but only Jesus is the way, truth, and life.

If Jesus tells us if we want to enter life, keep the commandments, some men just don't want to do it that way. They have another way that by-passes the way Jesus says. However, that is the only way which makes it possible to be saved. Do your way, and it is impossible.

Jesus is definitely the way, truth and life. The question is, who makes you willing? Who enables you? How do you keep His commandments?
Will you explain the following verse to me?

John 6:
[65] And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

Also, can you list the commandments for me and show me how well you keep them?

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is definitely the way, truth and life. The question is, who makes you willing? Who enables you? How do you keep His commandments?
Will you explain the following verse to me?

John 6:
[65] And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

Also, can you list the commandments for me and show me how well you keep them?

I never said a man can come to Jesus without the Father.

All you 'lawless' Paulinists are the same. You point your guilty finger at those who desire to obey Jesus and keep His commandments.

Since you question Jesus' words about keeping His commandments, am I correct in saying you have no desire to obey them? Do you think there is no need to keep them?

I will say, how do think one keeps His commandments? When God do not bear false witness, how does one keep this? Do you think he ignores God's command and keep lying?

Tell me how you love Jesus if you don't keep His commandments? Do you think Jesus' words do not apply to you?

Upvote 0

Late Apex

Apr 18, 2017
USA
✟11,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never said a man can come to Jesus without the Father.

All you 'lawless' Paulinists are the same. You point your guilty finger at those who desire to obey Jesus and keep His commandments.

Since you question Jesus' words about keeping His commandments, am I correct in saying you have no desire to obey them? Do you think there is no need to keep them?

I will say, how do think one keeps His commandments? When God do not bear false witness, how does one keep this? Do you think he ignores God's command and keep lying?

Tell me how you love Jesus if you don't keep His commandments? Do you think Jesus' words do not apply to you?

Why all the anger? I am not attacking you. I NEVER said I don't want to follow His commandments. I DID say that God's commandments are good. I DID say I want to follow God's commandments. You never answered my question. How do YOU keep His commandments?

Upvote 0