• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Salvation belongs to the Lord (Psalm 3:8)

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by redleghunter, Aug 11, 2019.

1. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+27,761
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    As the title states Salvation belongs to the Lord.

Therefore, a question:

Does God’s salvation come in response to a changed life?

Or

Does a changed life come in response to God’s salvation, offered as a free gift?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+6,613
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I would argue that it is both. He saves us, we are changed; our allowing Him to change us and cooperating with His Will opens us up to further graces, by which He continues to save us. It's a process.

3. redleghunter

+27,761
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Which comes first?

4. Gracia Singh

+6,613
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    His grace comes first. Our becoming more responsive to His grace through His grace, follows. It's synergistic, yet the offer and the help come from Him.

5. redleghunter

+27,761
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I understand your position is synergistic.

However, the OP is asking:

Does God’s salvation come in response to a changed life?

Or

Does a changed life come in response to God’s salvation, offered as a free gift?

I think your answer was God’s Grace comes first. Would that not be a changed life comes in response to God’s salvation offered as a free gift?

6. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,570
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I vote for B.

Yes.

7. 1213

1213 Disciple of Jesus

+649
    Christian
    Single
    I think the change means person rejects bad habits and sin. That happens when person understands that he has done wrongly. And person understands correctly when someone speaks to him how things are. It is possible that it comes in response to God’s forgiveness, because when sins are forgiven, it is usually told what is the sin and why it is wrong and forgiven. If something is forgiven, it is wise not to continue in doing that wrong thing.

8. redleghunter

+27,761
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I don’t think that addresses the OP.

9. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Soli Deo Gloria

+2,141
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I believe that a changed life is the direct result (or response) of God's salvation. You don't need to be "cleaned up" for you to come to God, you come as you are admitting that you do not deserve anything that he offers in the presentation of the gospel. The change of heart comes first before we ever received Christ by faith.

My whole redemption is the work of Christ in me.

10. Gracia Singh

+6,613
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Hey, Red. A changed life comes about as we allow God to continue saving us. As we surrender to, live for, and follow Christ, with His help. It's a process.

11. redleghunter

+27,761
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    What’s the initial work?

12. Gracia Singh

+6,613
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    God's mercy.

13. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+1,059
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    The latter...

"While we were yet sinners Christ died for us...

14. BrotherDave

BrotherDave Regular Member

+69
    Christian
    Married
    A changed life comes in response to God’s salvation. We are wicked from the womb, dead in sin and as such cannot truly seek the Lord with all our heart (Ps 10:4,14:3,58:3, Ro 3:10, Col 2:13).

He first has mercy on whom He will (Ro 9:15, 1 John 4:19) . Then He gives us a new heart or soul (Ezek 11:19,36:27, Heb 8:10,10:16) which in turn will change our life as we truly do work pleasing to God and turn from sin. Only after He saves us will we know the struggle between the inner and outer man, as Paul described.

God gave us examples of His taking action first. Recall the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt or the flood during Noah’s day or Lot’s escape from the destruction of Sodom & Gomorrah or even the conversion of Paul. God saved his people from bondage, sin, and death and as result their lives were changed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Alien Lotus

Alien Lotus Member

+187
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I would say it comes prior to both.
    No one comes to Jesus , redemption, unless the father calls them.
    Those that heed the calling are then reborn from who they were unto whom they hold potential to be and with God's help.

16. royal priest

royal priest debtor to grace

+1,396
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    What if we are talking about a slave to sin? What if the only way for them to respond is if God changes them first? Would God do so, or would He leave them to their free will?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. Aabbie James

Aabbie James The Word Became Flesh

+191
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Faith comes to the believer as a gift from God, not as something that individuals are capable of mustering up on their own. If faith were a work of man's own doing, man would be in a position to take partial credit for his redemption.

Salvation is by God's grace. Faith is the gift of God that no one should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

18. redleghunter

+27,761
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Indeed these examples are cover to cover in the Bible.

19. redleghunter

+27,761
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Therefore according to the OP the statement of affirmation should be:

“God’s salvation does not come in response to a changed life. A changed life comes in response to the salvation, offered as a free gift.”

20. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,914
    Christian
    Single
    Both