Salvation Army supports Planned Parenthood & defys Catholic morality.

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Out here when my mom fell on a hard time she couldn't afford to heat her home even though she's never been lazy. She had food but barely any and she reached out to Catholic charities and asked for some help somewhere. Her electric bill was really low like 18 dollars and her heat bill was 35 dollars that month and she had been in the hospital and spent enough time in the hospital that she got let go at her job.

Anyway she called Catholic charities and no lie they told her that they don't assist needy single adults only families and usually only ones with kids! This was Christmastime 06 and they straight up told her and ME that this season was about the kids. My mom had donated to them time and time again and not in hopes to receive any return but when SHE needed them they turned up their nose.

I don't agree with Salvation Army's take on abortion, though.:crossrc:

Maybe you should have written the bishop.

Catholic Charities gave my parents the runaround for no apparent reason when they wanted to adopt a child. After ten years and influence from the bishop they got me...

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We are not as conservative as our catholic brothers and sisters

this is not a political party- by stating he is not as conservative, he means that they do not adhere as strictly to the teaching of Christ than the only Christian Church founded by Jesus

Jesus said 'Church' not churches- to state the RCC is not the OTC is to call Jesus a liar

Upvote 0

CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you should have written the bishop.

Catholic Charities gave my parents the runaround for no apparent reason when they wanted to adopt a child. After ten years and influence from the bishop they got me...

I had no idea about anything that I could do because 4 years ago I don't think I was even Christian yet. My mom was clueless and quite ill so that didn't help her thinking in the situation. I wish I could have known to do something at the time. However, I think its actions like these that make the Catholic Charities seem less like a charitable organization....and more like an exclusive club.:holy:

Fortunately I don't align Catholic Charities with all of Catholicism. That example wasn't the first time we'd been treated poorly by Catholic Charities. A lot of people I know have similar stories. :doh:

Upvote 0

CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's why I am not proud of what the Salvation Army has to say on the issue because I've always donated to them and their cause. I also shop at their stores when I don't have a lot of money but need gently worn or used items.

The Salvation Army needs prayers when they consider any abortion good. :(

Catholic Charities also needs prayers.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I had no idea about anything that I could do because 4 years ago I don't think I was even Christian yet. My mom was clueless and quite ill so that didn't help her thinking in the situation. I wish I could have known to do something at the time. However, I think its actions like these that make the Catholic Charities seem less like a charitable organization....and more like an exclusive club.:holy:

Fortunately I don't align Catholic Charities with all of Catholicism. That example wasn't the first time we'd been treated poorly by Catholic Charities. A lot of people I know have similar stories. :doh:

instead of going directly through the charity yourself, better to go through either a priest or the knights of columbus- they know the right strings to pull and have clout, i know a nun who could probably get catholic charitys to deliver me a shiny new mercedes benz and a year of free gas to my front door by 8am tommorrow morning with a single phone call

Upvote 0

PilgrimToChrist

Oct 10, 2009
✟6,075.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
:eek: A Christian group believing in killing innocent babes?!!!:cry::cry:

Many Protestant denominations are pro-choice to some degree, even if they call themselves "pro-life".

For example, my parents attend a Free Methodist church (my mom was raised Catholic, my dad Lutheran [LCMS]). The Free Methodists are part of the Holiness movement from the 19th c. and are more conservative than United Methodists. Their canons (Book of Discipline) state:

1999 Free Methodist Book of Discipline said:
The intentional destruction of human life is murder when any degree of malice or selfishness accompanies the decision and act. Therefore, induced abortion is morally unjustifiable except when the act has been decided upon by responsible and competent persons, including Christian and professional counsel, for the purpose of saving the life of a pregnant woman.

Abortion, when it serves the ends of population or birth control, personal preference of convenience, and social or economic security, must be considered as selfish and malicious. Therefore, the intentional abortion of nascent life from conception on, except when extreme circumstances requires termination of a pregnancy to save the life of the pregnant woman, must be judged to be a violation of God’s command, "You shall not commit murder."

We recommend that Free Methodists offer compassionate alternatives and long-term care to women considering abortion. We recommend similar long-term care for all persons impacted by previous abortions. We also urge continuing support for those involved in parenting and in the adoption and fostering of children.

While firmly opposed to abortion, we recognize that those whose views contrary to ours should be treated with respect and dignity and that God’s forgiveness is offered to all.

This is the ambiguous position of a group that calls themselves "pro-life". Many other "pro-life" groups are also actually ambiguous and pro-abortion.

The LCMS is another conservative Protestant sect which is considered "pro-life". Their stance is less ambiguous than the Free Methodist but still gives an exception.

LCMS said:
The living but unborn are persons in the sight of God from the time of conception. Since abortion takes a human life, it is not a moral option except to prevent the death of another person, the mother.

The Catholic Church pretty much stands alone in opposing direct abortion under any and all circumstances. This is one problem about working with ecumenical and Protestant "pro-life" groups -- "pro-life" doesn't always mean "pro-life".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
instead of going directly through the charity yourself, better to go through either a priest or the knights of columbus- they know the right strings to pull and have clout, i know a nun who could probably get catholic charitys to deliver me a shiny new mercedes benz and a year of free gas to my front door by 8am tommorrow morning with a single phone call
Did you mean to admit that in public?

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The UW supports abortion, at least on the national level and at many local levels, so, anything you pay in locally will assist in supporting abortion nationwide. I assume they pay up to keep the hierarchy operating, but also, having such large organizations pay PP and other abortionists as if they are legitimate charities, charities that kill people, also causes abortion to seem legitimate.

The Salvation Army is a religion, so, I should probably look for Catholic alternatives. It also seems to support PP and the UW on a national scales.

The Catholic Church often receives funding from the UW. Apparently it is not a good idea to pay into the CC via the UW if you can at all help it, and it may be a very bad idea to give any money to the UW at all, due to their national support of abortion, likewise, the SA.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I doubt you would find very much difference in translation between an NIV or an NAB. The NAB has more footnotes--I don't think I've ever seen footnotes in Protestant Bibles--but most people don't read the footnotes very often.

The main difference is that the NAB includes theDeuterocanonical--4 or 5 books in the Old Testament that the Protestant Bibles don't include.

Martin Luther took those books out of his Bible because they are not in the Hebrew Bible.

These books are Tobias, Judith, the Wisdom of Solomon, Baruch, and Maccabees.

I don't think I've ever heard them proclaimed at Mass, and I've never read them in Bible studies. They are seldom referred to at all.

And so I don't really worry if the Salvation Army uses the NIV when it preaches the Word--the main message is there.

All the Gideon Bibles in hotels and hospitals are Protestant, too, but I am sure they have given many people comfort in difficult times.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think I've ever seen footnotes in Protestant Bibles

You should see my KJV has parallels to different parts of the Bible, notes the root Hebrew words of a particular phrase (for instance the phrase in Luke 1:28 notes that the root word used to describe Mary is "grace", as in much graced--even the NAB says she's merely "favored") notes every prophecy about the Messiah by a star, has Jesus's words in red, plus has a concordance and a proper names pronunciation guide. My Protestant RSV also has footnotes (of course I'd compare the copious notes with my Jerusalem--IMO not my NAB.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Lacking an answer to the question I asked, I'm left assuming you do disagree with Benedict, Paul, and the Catholic Church.

If I supported Indifferentism or Universalism, I would be disagreeing with them.

JimR-OCDS said:
WOW, now neo-Catholics thing the Salvation Army is evil?

Can we make our Church anymore irrelevant?

The truth is universally relevant, whether the truth is too difficult for you to accept or not. The Salvation Army does not proclaim the whole truth, just parts of it.

fated said:
Abortion is evil. Does that make the SA evil? Does that make people who support the SA evil?

Denial of the evils of abortion is evil. Look to the Catholic Church for the truth on abortion.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
since jim has argued for abortion on the same grounds the salvation army argues in favor for it, admittting in the op quote it is against Catholic teaching (see even the protestant SA know that one) he is hardly objective

jim knows that a nun was excommunicated for holding those very views, why would anyone else purporting to be Catholic be held to a lower standard ?

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Are you suggesting that Paul, Benedict, and the Vatican are heretical?

I think you have an incorrect view of what Pope Benedict and the Vatican actually said about this. Do you remember that time when Pope Benedict said that non Catholic churches (with the exception of the Orthodox) are not real churches (theologically speaking) because they don't have the Eucharist? Pope Benedict is no relativist and he has said that the only true Church is the Catholic Church... the Vatican teaches that Protestants are also Christians, also know God, can also go to Heaven, and that they are our brothers and sisters... but as for their teachings and churches, these are not shared in Catholicism. Importantly, as the Pope said, they lack the Eucharist, which is fundamental to the definition of the Church, Christ's Body. (by receiving the Eucharist, we are united as one Body). As for Protestant missionaries, if they say something in line with Church teaching, great, if something contradictory, that is unfortunate. Since usually they end up saying both, - I no longer contribute financially to Protestant missions, because in addition to teaching good things (like about Christ), they will also teach that salvation is just saying a prayer, etc. This can lead people astray.

As for St Paul, in his day there were no "denominations", all Christians were part of the Catholic Church, there was one church... so I'm not sure how what he wrote could be applied here

God bless

Upvote 0

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I think the teaching is.. Protestants can be saved despite the Protestantism, not because of it:sorry: (I know this is controversial.. but it's the Church teaching). So if they are ignorant or never had the chance to learn the truth, or somehow were prevented from understanding it properly. As for lapsed Catholics, I think again a lot depends on how much they knew.. if a Catholic became a Protestant before ever learning much about the Church (for example if they weren't catechized and were raised very nominally Catholic) - that is not their fault perhaps... or if they were taught lies about Church teachings and rejected this false version of Catholicism.

The truth has always been available to Protestants, it's just that Protestant ministers always warn their followers away from seeking out Catholic teachings to prevent them from being exposed to the truth.

I'm always amazed at how Protestant worship works. I had to take a sociology of religion class in college and I discovered that television began a war with local churches and televangelists, with televangelists offering the convenience of worship at home (while shaking the collection plate) and local churches always warning against their belief that televangelists were misleading people (while shaking the collection plate).

Upvote 0