Salvation Army supports Planned Parenthood & defys Catholic morality.

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
okay, as i leave here for many more months i just wanted to start this thread about the Salvation Army

in brief, a dear friend of mine who is geatly involved with prolife told me a couple weeks ago as we watched a long line of women rushing in to abort (kill) their children before Christmas, he told me that the Salvation Army supports abortion

i checked into it shallowly and it does seem that the Salvation Army knowingly contributes funds to the United Way and the Salvation Army knows that funds will be appropriated to Planned Parenthood

similarily, i discovered this quote in another forum:

B: You involve yourselves with questions such as abortion. I am assuming that The Salvation Army is against it?

S.C. That's too simple. We are not as conservative as our catholic brothers and sisters. There are situations in which abortion is the lesser evil, for instance in cases of severe deformities of the foetus, [or] rape. We try to support women who find themselves in this situation and to be loyal to them, even if they make decisions that we ourselves might not have made.

this is just food for thought and since i have only touched the surface, if you are interested i hope you help to evolve this thread and the depth of Salvation Armys involvement

i only donate myslef to local Catholic Charitys whom through my own involvement or insight i know exactly where the money is going

until maybe October, peace everybody

here is the link to the quote:
link

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I usually donate to Salvation Army but today I gave 6 large bags of clothes and two bed frames to "Grace Centers of Hope".

After reading this:
That's too simple. We are not as conservative as our catholic brothers and sisters. There are situations in which abortion is the lesser evil, for instance in cases of severe deformities of the foetus, [or] rape. We try to support women who find themselves in this situation and to be loyal to them, even if they make decisions that we ourselves might not have made.

I am starting to think there will soon be such a large boycott list that I will have to start growing my own food and making my own clothes and move near the Amish.

Upvote 0

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
From www.salvationarmyusa.org

Abortion

The Salvation Army believes in the sanctity of all human life and considers each person to be of infinite value and each life a gift from God to be cherished, nurtured and redeemed. Human life is sacred because it is made in the image of God and has an eternal destiny. (Genesis 1:27) Sacredness is not conferred, nor can it be taken away by human agreement.

The Salvation Army deplores society's ready acceptance of abortion, which reflects insufficient concern for vulnerable persons, including the unborn. (Psalms 82:3-4)

The Salvation Army holds to the Christian ideals of chastity before marriage and fidelity within the marriage relationship and, consistent with these ideals, supports measures to prevent crisis pregnancies. It is opposed to abortion as a means of birth control, family planning, sex selection or for any reason of mere convenience to avoid the responsibility for conception. Therefore, when an unwanted pregnancy occurs, The Salvation Army advises that the situation be accepted and that the pregnancy be carried to term, and offers supportive help and assistance with planning.

The Salvation Army recognizes tragic and perplexing circumstances that require difficult decisions regarding a pregnancy. Such decisions should be made only after prayerful and thoughtful consideration, with appropriate involvement of the woman's family and pastoral, medical and other counsel. A woman in these circumstances needs acceptance, love and compassion.

When an abortion has taken place, The Salvation Army will continue to show love and compassion and to offer its services and fellowship to those involved.

So they're not telling women to go out and abort if they conceived a kid because they slept around, however it seems that they are fine with abortion in "tragic" circumstances after prayer, family, and pastoral support.

Upvote 0

sea oat

Jul 30, 2010
✟8,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Actually I'm shocked to find out that the United Way gives to Planned Parenthood.

When I had a summer job at Target about 5 years ago, they had an option to give something like $5 out of your paycheck to United Way. I opted in. If only I could go back in time. Oh well.

[Edit] I just checked the United Way website, and apparently, the decision on whether to give to Planned Parenthood is one that's made locally.

http://www.unitedway.org/worldwide/faq/faq.cfm?MID=70#parenthood
Does United Way support Planned Parenthood?

United Way organizations in all countries and cities are run locally. This means that some communities choose to support Planned Parenthood, and some do not. These decisions are made by local volunteers and community leaders, based on the goals and strategies of their United Way, and on input from the community.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
okay, as i leave here for many more months i just wanted to start this thread about the Salvation Army

in brief, a dear friend of mine who is geatly involved with pro life told me a couple weeks ago as we watched a long line of women rushing in to abort (kill) their children before Christmas, he told me that the Salvation Army supports abortion

i checked into it shallowly and it does seem that the Salvation Army knowingly contributes funds to the United Way and the Salvation Army knows that funds will be appropriated to Planned Parenthood

similarily, i discovered this quote in another forum:

this is just food for thought and since i have only touched the surface, if you are interested i hope you help to evolve this thread and the depth of Salvation Army's involvement

i only donate myslef to local Catholic Charitys whom through my own involvement or insight i know exactly where the money is going

until maybe October, peace everybody

here is the link to the quote:
link

Once again you come back to this forum making unfounded accusations based on anecdotal evidence. Can you provide any real evidence, other than you talked to a friend ?

Here is a position statement from the Salvation Army website:

Abortion
The Salvation Army believes in the sanctity of all human life and considers each person to be of infinite value and each life a gift from God to be cherished, nurtured and redeemed. Human life is sacred because it is made in the image of God and has an eternal destiny. (Genesis 1:27) Sacredness is not conferred, nor can it be taken away by human agreement.
The Salvation Army deplores society's ready acceptance of abortion, which reflects insufficient concern for vulnerable persons, including the unborn. (Psalms 82:3-4)
The Salvation Army holds to the Christian ideals of chastity before marriage and fidelity within the marriage relationship and, consistent with these ideals, supports measures to prevent crisis pregnancies. It is opposed to abortion as a means of birth control, family planning, sex selection or for any reason of mere convenience to avoid the responsibility for conception. Therefore, when an unwanted pregnancy occurs, The Salvation Army advises that the situation be accepted and that the pregnancy be carried to term, and offers supportive help and assistance with planning.
The Salvation Army recognizes tragic and perplexing circumstances that require difficult decisions regarding a pregnancy. Such decisions should be made only after prayerful and thoughtful consideration, with appropriate involvement of the woman's family and pastoral, medical and other counsel. A woman in these circumstances needs acceptance, love and compassion.
When an abortion has taken place, The Salvation Army will continue to show love and compassion and to offer its services and fellowship to those involved.

Here is the link to all the Salvation Army's positions on various moral and ethical issues:

Before you slander a good Christian organization, that does plenty for the poor and downtrodden, you should try proceeding with an informed mind.

Good luck on leaving the forum.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I hope everyone who reads bafriend, will do their own educated research. I would hate to see those that are hungry and suffering go without, because of a hateful smear campaign based on ignorance.

From the Boston Globe: August 2010

Salvation Army cuts ties with United Way

A simmering battle between two leading nonprofit organizations erupted publicly yesterday when the Salvation Army of Massachusetts abruptly severed ties with United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley, ending a 70-year relationship.

Salvation Army cuts ties with United Way - The Boston Globe

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Here is more information. Most companies push the United way.

I donate to the United Way, but designate it to The Salvation Army. Does The Salvation Army receive the funds that I've opted to give to The Salvation Army from the United Way?

Yes, however, the United Way deducts a 15% fee prior to forwarding your donation directly to The Salvation Army. In other words, if you donate $100 to the United Way, to be designated to The Salvation Army, The Salvation Army receives only $85. Additionally, the United Way sends "designated donations" to The Salvation Army only two times per year, approximately every six months, receiving the benefit of investing your donor designations for six months prior to disbursement to The Salvation Army.

On this same article that explained how the United way extracted money from the Salvation Army. This prefaced the article:

What steps did The Salvation Army take in its decision to disaffiliate from the United Way of Mifflin-Juniata?

The united decision has now been made that The Salvation Army in Mifflin and Juniata Counties will not be applying for funding from the United Way for the 2009/2010 funding year. Such a decision is not one taken lightly. Our organizations have been in conversation and deliberations for almost two (2) years. This is evidenced in the fact that, in Lewistown, our agencies have not had a signed partnership agreement since June of 2008 and the United Way has not released funding to The Salvation Army since August of that year. The decision not to continue our partnership in the current cycle was made in cooperation with The Salvation Army's Lewistown Advisory Board, Juniata County Service Unit (Advisory) Committee, and our Divisional (Philadelphia, PA) and Territorial Headquarters (West Nyack, NY - Board of Trustees) leadership.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
here is an article this December from the Herald Dispatch in Virginia:

HUNTINGTON -- A nearly 100-year-old partnership in the Huntington community is coming to an end.
The advisory board of Salvation Army has decided not to seek funding from the United Way of the River Cities for the 2011 funding year, according to Capt. Bob Mullins. In a letter to United Way executive director Laura Gilliam this week, Mullins expressed his concerns over a recent downward trend in funding, saying that the decrease makes it "non-productive" to continue the partnership.

Salvation Army won't seek UW funding - The Herald Dispatch

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why would the Salvation Army give funds to the United Way when it is itself a charity?

And, BTW, you don't have to stop contributing to the United Way, because you can designate that the money you contribute go to one or more charities of your choice. We have done this on occasion.

One thing that impressed me about the Salvation Army is that in my town, you have to meet certain criteria to use the food pantry, and one of those is having a green card or being a citizen. If you're undocumented and have fallen on hard times, the Salvation Army is your only hope, and they only give out food once a month.

The immigrants I know are hardworking, but, like everyone else, they sometimes lose their jobs, etc. It's nice to know that the Salvation Army is there for them when the food pantry isn't.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why would the Salvation Army give funds to the United Way when it is itself a charity?

The Salvation Army is a religion. Religions have a habit of giving to charity. I know that one of the charities in the Catholic Annual Appeal by me was once the United Way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's pointless to give money to the Salvation Army, since they also evangelize people. Your money is better spent on Catholic Charities or Catholic Extension or for seminary aid.

Depending on where you live, the Salvation Army might be the only place in town where needy people can turn for help.

I think most people tend to think "any port in a storm." If they are really needy, they will get help wherever they can.

And if, in our communities, help usually comes from the Salvation Army or the Methodists or the Baptists, there is no harm in helping the needy by contributing to those causes.

I live in an area of the country where Catholics are only about 5% of the population and the Catholic Charities offices are almost 200 miles away.
If I see hungry people in my community I am not going to say, "Oh, the Salvation Army helps the hungry here. I'm going to help the hungry 200 miles away."

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Still, the Salvation Army is not a "charity". It is a religion that does charitable work. Once people realize that, they can decide where they want to give--to the local food bank or charity, a Catholic, Baptist, Church of Christ, et. al. soup kitchen, or to the Salvation Army for their evangelical program.

Heard that St. Vincent de Paul has a program for the poor and it's Catholic too.

Upvote 0