Arizona
✟127,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would double check their beliefs with Biblical doctrine. If they do not coincide, that is not the place to be. Show me where Scripture calls us to be in 'good works to stay in grace'. I'd be careful

• Agree
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
My son goes to a Salvation Army church after getting a job with their afterschool program for middle school kids. He likes it and is thriving there. After you posted, I looked up what they believe and believe they are a solid Biblical church. They do not believe that baptism is necessary for salvation nor for membership (I have attended a few churches that require it to "prove" you are a Christian) which is true. They also have no problem people going to other churches and getting baptized. They believe that the "belief" that Jesus is your savior and is God is all that is needed for salvation and the good works are the evidence of that belief (versus baptism or walking to the front of the church or whatever else rules many churches have). I suggest that since you are interested that you go visit it and decide for yourself. I do know that they are very active in ministries that I believe are evidence that they really do live the life they preach 7 days a week instead of Sunday only Christianity.

Upvote 0

James of Arc

Venomous Turtle
Site Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
✟30,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
My son goes to a Salvation Army church after getting a job with their afterschool program for middle school kids. He likes it and is thriving there. After you posted, I looked up what they believe and believe they are a solid Biblical church. They do not believe that baptism is necessary for salvation nor for membership (I have attended a few churches that require it to "prove" you are a Christian) which is true. They also have no problem people going to other churches and getting baptized. They believe that the "belief" that Jesus is your savior and is God is all that is needed for salvation and the good works are the evidence of that belief (versus baptism or walking to the front of the church or whatever else rules many churches have). I suggest that since you are interested that you go visit it and decide for yourself. I do know that they are very active in ministries that I believe are evidence that they really do live the life they preach 7 days a week instead of Sunday only Christianity.

I do believe that in general they are a good church and its just basic Wesleyan teaching that they are practicing but i cannot get past that they dont want to get baptized. To me its a major part of becoming and growing in christ. We all know you dont have to get baptised to be saved but i know that when i was saved i wanted to be very badly.

What is making me doibt them is that they have a strict military order and dress code to show outwardly that they are "The Salvation Army" but baptism is not as important as their dress code.

Even Paul was baptised and of all people he did not need to be baptised because Paul was inslaved into Christianty, not by choice but by command from Jesus.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The military stuff is related to how they were set up in England. It was appropriate to their mission and culture at the time. I don't think it takes away from their purpose now. As for the baptism, they have no problem with their members getting baptised but don't consider it part of their mission.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has been moved to the Looking for a Church forum.
Please note and abide by the SOP of this forum.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally I think that the Salvation Army does a lot of wonderful things, they help many people in lots of different ways. If you have issues with their beliefs on Baptism, church structure and dress code then perhaps try a different church in the Wesleyan tradition perhaps try a Church of the Nazarene or another Methodist tradition church?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
View attachment 245498
MOD HAT ON
This thread has been moved to the Looking for a Church forum.
Please note and abide by the SOP of this forum.

MOD HAT OFF

Where is the "Looking for a church" located? This forum is too big to know where all the specialty threads go...especially when you just want to discuss something with people who sort of know you...

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Useful
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

James of Arc

Venomous Turtle
Site Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
✟30,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Personally I think that the Salvation Army does a lot of wonderful things, they help many people in lots of different ways. If you have issues with their beliefs on Baptism, church structure and dress code then perhaps try a different church in the Wesleyan tradition perhaps try a Church of the Nazarene or another Methodist tradition church?

But i like the works of the salvation army but i would like for their worship to match their works.
Why so many denominations from one religion? Can not even one be the whole thing?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am thinking about joining the salvation army church.
Any reasons not to?
My only doubts about them is that they dont practice baptism and they believe that you must be in good works always to stay in grace.
Any thoughts?

From what I know, they also do not practice Holy Communion. What you get is strong preaching with a personal application, much the same as with other churches of the Wesleyan tradition, plus the social action you referred to. A Methodist or Wesleyan church probably would be similar in these areas but also be somewhat more formal or ceremonial in worship than the SA, if that matters to you.

Upvote 0