• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Salvation...and Mary!

Discussion in 'Salvation (Soteriology)' started by Ignatius21, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Ignatius21

Ignatius21 Can somebody please pass the incense?

+291
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    This is worth reading...it isn't long. It's a great perspective on "prayer" to Mary. As with everything in the ancient Church, the practice is rooted in the reality of the Incarnation.

Please do not throw flaming darts unless you've at least read the article.

Otherwise, let the calm and rational discourse begin ;)

Saving Mary | Glory to God for All Things

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. AndOne

AndOne Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men

+435
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Does the article have scripture to support its claim - if so I will read it. Thanks.

3. Hammster

Hammster Buckeye Newshawk Award Winner Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+16,249
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian

4. AndOne

+435
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    ...I guess it doesn't

5. sdowney717

sdowney717 Newbie

+1,947
    Christian
    Really now, Mary Flesh?, and 'No one is saved alone' and 'My salvation, like my sin, is never mine alone'?

Including Mary as 'co-redeemer' is disrespecting Jesus. There is only one name given under heaven whereby we must be saved.
    The catholics push this all the time for centuries.

6. sdowney717

sdowney717 Newbie

+1,947
    Christian
    Why not read this on perverting the gospel of Christ?

Calvin - Sermons

Hits hard on the 'papists' and still true today.

an excerpt where Calvin says Papists are reprobates.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  7. Ignatius21

+291
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Where does the article call her "co-redeemer?"

I think your response partly proves the authors point about insisting upon understanding "save" and "salvation" in only one way.

I'm not seeing what Calvin's screed against the Catholics has to do with the nuanced understanding of salvation as meaning much more than just deliverance from destruction.

8. AndOne

+435
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Yeah... But what about scripture?

9. Ignatius21

+291
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    What would you like to know about it? :)

10. AndOne

+435
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    See post #2. Don't you follow your own thread?

11. Ignatius21

+291
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I actually didn't see your first post. The point of the article is not to put forward an exegetical apologetic for a particular point of view. The point is to explain what is meant by a particular phrase that has been used by the Church since its infancy. So it's perhaps more akin to an article by a Calvinist explaining, at a more philosophical level, why TULIP doesn't reduce man to a puppet, or something similar.

Does it reference Scripture? Yes. Does it marshall a list of proof texts to use as ammunition against someone else's position? No.

Perhaps you'll read it. Thus far the only engagement I've received has been a response that only reinforced the point of the article, and then referred me to John Calvin's condemnation of the Roman Catholic Church. Cleary there's a disconnect somewhere.

12. WisdomTree

WisdomTree Philosopher

+126
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    <insert picture of a flaming dart here>

13. Shane R

Shane R Priest Supporter

+545
    United States
    Anglican
    Widowed
    The radical individualism of modern Christianity distorts the account of our salvation. Indeed, Christianity is intensely personal and yet expressed properly and truly in community. It is a lost truth in many circles.

14. AndOne

+435
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    No Calvinist would ever explain TULIP on a philosophical level - it is a system solely based on scripture and therefore its explanation is based upon scripture proofs. Any Calvinist who would attempt to explain TULIP solely on a philosophical level should be ignored.

If the writer can't prove his position from scripture then its not worth the time or effort for me to read it. I kind of figured there would be no scriptural proofs but figured I would ask anyway.

I kind of liked the referral to John Calvin's sermon....

15. Hammster

+16,249
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, (1 Timothy 2:5 NASB)

If I'm to believe the article, I'd have to change this.

Me, to Mary, to Jesus, to the Father.

16. Hammster

+16,249
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    In a nutshell, we can "pray" to Mary in the same way that those at the wedding feast "prayed" to her, and then she went to Jesus for more wine.

Oh, and we are all born good.

17. AndOne

+435
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    :doh: Glad I didn't waste time reading it...

18. Tigger45

Tigger45 St Francis Supporter

+7,547
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Thanks Ignatius21 this article is very timely for me. As you may remember I was an EO catechumen last year. Keeping in mind there is a lot of stumbling blocks for a western minded evangelical believer to get through concerning Orthodoxy, one thing that intrigued me was the scriptural development of the Ark of the Covenant and the New Eve from the Old Testament to the New Testament. Belonging to a Lutheran congregation I am free to explore the topic.

19. GigageiTsula

GigageiTsula Legend

+7,457
    Christian
    Private
    Like you, I will stick with Scripture. For example, Jesus Himself said that He is the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through Him (John 14:6). And it is also written in Scripture, "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).

20. Ignatius21

+291
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    He isn't sticking with Scripture. Nobody is. He's sticking with his Protestant tradition of interpreting Scripture. Ah, the nuances.

At the end of the day, it's tradition vs. tradition vs. tradition vs. tradition.

If you haven't read the article, please do. The whole point is that the verse you've cited does not refute or contradict the idea of praying to God with and through the saints. If asking your pastor to pray for you negates Christ's unique role of mediator, then we can talk. Otherwise, the verse you've cited doesn't apply. Not being combative, just pointing things out.