Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not sure how long ago, I think couple to few weeks possibly. But I had realized I was getting too much salt or least more then recommended. Yet it was told to me if I didn't eat enough as I was cutting salt, I wouldn't get enough iodine. The following article and other online sites explained most food processed lacks iodine, it's sea salt or iodized table salt which has it. Ideally you would get it from other food sources like seafood or plants grown in rich idolized soil. Though not all soil is rich with iodine and there's circumstances restricting diet choices. It was found iodized table salt was effective decreasing iodine deficiency and resulting causes like goiter.

Cut salt - it won't affect your iodine intake - Harvard Health
The surplus of sodium in the American diet contributes to a host of cardiovascular problems, from high blood pressure and stroke to heart attack, heart failure, and more. Cutting back on salt is generally good for the heart and arteries. But could this strategy have the unintended consequence of making some Americans deficient in iodine?

That's not likely, because salt provides only a fraction of daily iodine intake for most Americans.
Borrowing an idea from the Swiss, a group of U.S. experts suggested adding iodine to salt. Iodized salt was first sold in Michigan in May 1924, and across the nation later that year. Within 10 years, the percentage of people in Michigan with goiter had fallen from about 30% to under 2%. In the U.S., it is rare today.

Here's an additional article for vegan sources of iodine, potatoes are on the list which I've been eating daily. But not knowing the soil quality regarding iodine I do use iodized table salt too.

Best Raw Vegan Sources of Iodine
Best Raw Vegan Sources of Iodine

• Potatoes, 1 medium, 60mcg
  • Prunes, 5 whole, 13mcg
  • Bananas, 1 medium, 3mcg
  • Corn, ½ cup, 14 mcg
  • Cranberries, 4 ounces, 400mcg
  • Green beans, ½ cup, 3mcg
  • Strawberries, 1 cup, 13 mcg
  • Sea Vegetables
    • Kelp, 7 grams or ¼ oz., 3170mcg
    • Alaria, 7 grams or ¼ oz., 1162mcg
    • Dulse, 7 grams or ¼ oz., 1169mcg
    • Laver, 7 grams or ¼ oz., 98mcg
    • Sea Lettuce, 7 grams or ¼ oz., 27mcg

Reactions: LaSorcia

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It was found iodized table salt was effective decreasing iodine deficiency and resulting causes like goiter.
This is interesting. My wife has a lot of issues with her thyroid. At one point she became convinced that the fluoride in the water supply caused her issues. She was raised in Europe with water with no added fluoride. Apparently fluoride, iodine, and chlorine are similar . I found this article linking fluoride to thyroid issues/goiter. A comparative study of fluoride ingestion levels, serum thyroid hormone & TSH level derangements, dental fluorosis status among school children from endemic and non-endemic fluorosis areasI wonder if the fluoride depletes iodine in some way?

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is interesting. My wife has a lot of issues with her thyroid. At one point she became convinced that the fluoride in the water supply caused her issues. She was raised in Europe with water with no added fluoride. Apparently fluoride, iodine, and chlorine are similar . I found this article linking fluoride to thyroid issues/goiter. A comparative study of fluoride ingestion levels, serum thyroid hormone & TSH level derangements, dental fluorosis status among school children from endemic and non-endemic fluorosis areasI wonder if the fluoride depletes iodine in some way?

Seems probable her issues were caused by fluoride displacing iodine. Wouldn't hurt to see if decreasing fluoride intake and increasing iodine intake helps. Possibly get a checkup at the doctors before and after for comparison of her thyroid condition.

Here's paragraphs from under Introduction (second paragraph) and Discussion (first paragraph).
As it is already known that fluoride is more electronegative than iodine, it easily displaces iodine within the body, thereby affects the functioning of thyroid gland. Fluoride has been known to have shown gross as well as biochemical changes within the body of an individual which included deranged thyroid hormonal level with in the body. The production of thyroid hormones is regulated by a negative feedback mechanism, i.e., when the pituitary gland senses a drop in FT3 levels in circulation, it releases more TSH to stimulate the thyroid gland which in turn accelerates the production of the thyroid hormone T4, now considered a “pro-hormone”. The major source of circulating T3 is from peripheral deiodination of T4 and not from thyroid secretion. The enzymes which catalyze deiodination are called iodothyronine deiodinases and fluoride is known to interfere with the activity of the deiodinases.
Fluoride and iodine are both halogens. The fluoride, the negative ion of the element fluorine easily displaces iodine in the body because it is much lighter and therefore more reactive. In fact the activity of any one of the halogens is inversely proportion to its atomic weight. In other words, one halogen can displace another one of a higher atomic weight but cannot displace one of lower weight thereby, results fluoride- thyroid-iodine antagonism which in turn lead to interference with iodine uptake.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Seems probable her issues were caused by fluoride displacing iodine. Wouldn't hurt to see if decreasing fluoride intake and increasing iodine intake helps. Possibly get a checkup at the doctors before and after for comparison of her thyroid condition.
Thanks for the info. She has an endocrinologist and has regular blood tests and they adjust her medication as needed. Her former endocrinologist pushed for radioactive iodine to kill the thyroid but she refused. He was against surgical removal and she was anti radiation. At one point she got herself into remission thru diet (we presume) but it didn't last.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the info. She has an endocrinologist and has regular blood tests and they adjust her medication as needed. Her former endocrinologist pushed for radioactive iodine to kill the thyroid but she refused. He was against surgical removal and she was anti radiation. At one point she got herself into remission thru diet (we presume) but it didn't last.

Until recently I hadn't considered the severity of having a thyroid problem. But being warned about it and having stories like yours helps to know the seriousness of it's condition. I guess when you personally haven't experienced or known someone else who has it's easy to ignore. I'm not a doctor and the body is complicated, sadly it could be more difficult to treat than prevent through diet. Hopefully y'all are able to use the above information and with her endocrinologist something less severe could be done.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Salt is an interesting topic...

While "lower your salt intake" has been a popular pitch by many doctors, when you actually get down into the research, the benefit of salt restriction with regards to arterial oxidation and blood pressure.

The "official recommendation" is 3,000-3,500mg per day.

However, in more recent studies, when they actually controlled for age and a number of other factors, they found that sodium only has a negligible impact on blood pressure for most people as unless you're going from 12,000mg down to 800mg per day, you're unlikely to see any noticeable difference.

If most people with high blood pressure were told "we want you to cut your current intake from 5,000mg per day down to 1,000mg, and within a month, it should positively impact your blood pressure by 2-3 points...that advice wouldn't seem quite as compelling.

The reason why many think it works is because in most cases, Doctors are prescribing blood pressure meds at the same time as they're giving the "eat less salt" advice, so it's unclear to the patient which is having the positive impact.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

While "lower your salt intake" has been a popular pitch by many doctors, when you actually get down into the research, the benefit of salt restriction with regards to arterial oxidation and blood pressure.

However, in more recent studies, when they actually controlled for age and a number of other factors, they found that sodium only has a negligible impact on blood pressure for most people as unless you're going from 12,000mg down to 800mg per day, you're unlikely to see any noticeable difference.

If most people with high blood pressure were told "we want you to cut your current intake from 5,000mg per day down to 1,000mg, and within a month, it should positively impact your blood pressure by 2-3 points...that advice wouldn't seem quite as compelling.

The reason why many think it works is because in most cases, Doctors are prescribing blood pressure meds at the same time as they're giving the "eat less salt" advice, so it's unclear to the patient which is having the positive impact.

I once heard an NPR interview with a leading heart surgeon who said that cholesterol issues /blood pressure are an issue of the condition of our veins. Some veins are more jagged on the inside and trap cholesterol as its flowing thru, eventually building little cholesterol dams. His solution to these issues was dietary. He said something like "Eat like your grandparents ate- Home cooked meals, no processed food, no fast food. " His point was cholesterol in and of itself is fine as long as it doesn't get dammed up in the veins.

One (for women) or two (for men) alcoholic beverages a day promotes longevity. Don't have to tell me twice.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Nearly a year old video I watched, it's actually what got me started concerning myself with salt and then iodine related to it. He has links and sources in his video description, but to not waste your time I'll post a few places of the video.

Here Salt: How Bad is it Really? - Mic the Vegan he has the F.D.A. recommendation at 2300mg and average American at 3400mg, is this outdated or are there multiple recommendations from different well-known places? What about other concerns like stomach cancer in recent studies, South Korea consumes more salt at average 4300mg and has the highest statistics of stomach cancer?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nearly a year old video I watched, it's actually what got me started concerning myself with salt and then iodine related to it. He has links and sources in his video description, but to not waste your time I'll post a few places of the video.

Here Salt: How Bad is it Really? - Mic the Vegan he has the F.D.A. recommendation at 2300mg and average American at 3400mg, is this outdated or are there multiple recommendations from different well-known places? What about other concerns like stomach cancer in recent studies, South Korea consumes more salt at average 4300mg and has the highest statistics of stomach cancer?

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.10...3XENc-9zEjX_QhByXI_sTW6sMeWIeqD-IuaHgYlstv7lY

In this study in which sodium intake was estimated on the basis of measured urinary excretion, an estimated sodium intake between 3 g per day and 6 g per day was associated with a lower risk of death and cardiovascular events than was either a higher or lower estimated level of intake. As compared with an estimated potassium excretion that was less than 1.50 g per day, higher potassium excretion was associated with a lower risk of death and cardiovascular events. (Funded by the Population Health Research Institute and others.)

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.10...3XENc-9zEjX_QhByXI_sTW6sMeWIeqD-IuaHgYlstv7lY

In this study in which sodium intake was estimated on the basis of measured urinary excretion, an estimated sodium intake between 3 g per day and 6 g per day was associated with a lower risk of death and cardiovascular events than was either a higher or lower estimated level of intake. As compared with an estimated potassium excretion that was less than 1.50 g per day, higher potassium excretion was associated with a lower risk of death and cardiovascular events. (Funded by the Population Health Research Institute and others.)

Other than the following points below, the study does find 3-6g for lower risk of death and cardiovascular events. That range seems like the best bet, additionally I've read it could be salt (sodium)/potassium ratio which affects the effects salt (sodium) has on your body and overall your health.

Not disagreeing, just quotes to point out it's urinary excretion and estimated intake. Reason is the potassium excretion of 1.50g per day is lower than consumption. So that's not the actual consumption or even near recommendation around 4-5g doing a quick search check online.
Our approach is probably less reliable for estimating potassium intake than for estimating sodium intake, since a lower proportion of consumed potassium, as compared with sodium, is excreted in the urine.

Also for consideration which again is not me disagreeing, but suggesting others do the research themselves. I'm not a doctor or an expert, it's important to compare studies and consult your doctor concerning your health.
Finally, our study provides an epidemiologic comparison of groups that consume different levels of sodium, and it does not provide information on the effect on clinical outcomes of reducing sodium intake.
In the PURE study, the vast majority of participants did not have a history of cardiovascular disease. Although diabetes and history of cardiovascular disease were more common in the group of participants with a low estimated sodium excretion, these participants had a similar overall mean INTERHEART Modifiable Risk Score,32 as compared with those who had a moderate estimated sodium excretion. Moreover, the exclusion of participants with prior cardiovascular disease or cancer, diabetes, or current smoking and the exclusion of those who had events in the first 2 years of follow-up did not materially alter our findings. Nonetheless, we acknowledge that reverse causation cannot be completely ruled out and may account in part for the increased risk observed in the group of participants with a low estimated sodium excretion.17

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Well I haven't ever heard any Dr recommend Himalayan salt which is strange thing because Himalayan salt actually lowers your blood pressure. When you are getting it enough.

Upvote 0