Dec 8, 2012
✟17,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As a Protestant convert, I am trying to understand saints who were deemed "Fools for Christ" (such as St. Xenia of St. Petersburg). I have read in many places that these saints purposely acted as if they were mentally unbalanced so as to distract people from their piety. I really don't understand this.

Reactions: archer75

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if I can help you understand, but I had the same trouble comprehending why anyone would do that when I first came into Orthodoxy.

After reading the lives of Saints, is probably what helped most, it makes sense to me now.

One thing that strikes me is that they ALL sought not to make a display of their piety or to let things that were "special" happening around them be known. I think in many cases people would have flocked to them for help, but giving them too much attention and praise in the process. Such would be a tremendous opportunity for temptation to pride. And with pride being perhaps the most deadly and most difficult of passions to deal with, at all costs it was to be guarded against as much as possible.

That seems the most important thing that I always got out of the lives of those Saints, as well as others who hid in other ways.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As a Protestant convert, I am trying to understand saints who were deemed "Fools for Christ" (such as St. Xenia of St. Petersburg). I have read in many places that these saints purposely acted as if they were mentally unbalanced so as to distract people from their piety. I really don't understand this.
The thing about fools for Christ that makes them saints is that they were obeying the will of God for their lives. They acted as the Holy Spirit instructed them to act, not as they themselves deemed fit to act. However, certain aspects of their own personalities did shape their specific behaviors (Like St. Xenia's incessant wearing of only her late husband's military uniform for her one and only wardrobe for many years).

Upvote 0

handmaiden64

Dec 8, 2012
✟17,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I really have to do more reading on lives of the saints of the Church than I have up until now. I have a lot to learn! It makes sense that, as you said Anastasia, these saints would want to live in such a way so that they would not be tempted by the pride that might have come from people coming to them for help.

Thank you for the point, Truefiction1, that these saints were acting under the direction of the Holy Spirit, however in St. Xenia's case (and this is just my opinion) I think that in her wearing her departed husband's clothing, other than odd to those around her, it might have been her way of going through the actual grieving process for her.

Reactions: truefiction1
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Foolishness for Christ is also an extreme and rare calling, and their calling usually acts like the prophets of old, especially in calling out folks for their spiritual pride.

Upvote 0

handmaiden64

Dec 8, 2012
✟17,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Veering of the subject just a tad, how can we show the love of Christ to others (looking to the saints and the example of how they lived their lives) in such a way so as not to draw attention to ourselves but that they are directed to Christ? (ex: providing a meals for someone recovering from a hospital stay, because they will be thanking you for going out of your way to help.)

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Veering off the subject just a tad, how can we show the love of Christ to others (looking to the saints and the example of how they lived their lives) in such a way so as not to draw attention to ourselves but that they are directed to Christ? (ex: providing a meals for someone recovering from a hospital stay, because they will be thanking you for going out of your way to help.)
I don't know of any other way to direct others to Christ (directly through good deeds) except by doing all good that you do in the name of Christ and for the sake of Christ. We do all of our good deeds in the name of Christ when we become willing, by faith, to identify ourselves as His followers shamelessly no matter what sort of company we are with, never denying Him in either our words or behaviors. We also know, by the gift of humility that the Holy Spirit endows us with, that whatever good we manage to do is only done because God is doing it. We ourselves can't do anything unless God enables it. God makes us live and makes us to continue in Life. We of ourselves are nothing, and only God gives our lives to us and fills them with meaning.

We can't help but get attention and sometimes praise from others when we do something good and well. Tell people "Thank you" when they compliment you, but tell God "Thank You" for His mercy and grace that's given to you (because we are all sinners and undeserving) in all things. It doesn't pay to feed any vainglorious feelings and thoughts that may arise. These passions can't save any of us because they are empty vessels full of nothing but poison and lies. God alone can save us, of course. We never settle for inferior substitutes when we can have the True God in us.

But these things I've said aren't anything new. The holy fathers, mothers, and especially the holy elders of the monastic life have always taught us such things all along.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Veering of the subject just a tad, how can we show the love of Christ to others (looking to the saints and the example of how they lived their lives) in such a way so as not to draw attention to ourselves but that they are directed to Christ? (ex: providing a meals for someone recovering from a hospital stay, because they will be thanking you for going out of your way to help.)

whatever you do, do for love of God and the other person. God will take care of the rest.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,417.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I look at Saints who were fools for Christ, I think of the many times Christ was hampered in His own ministry by His growing popularity. How many times did He tell people not to say anything about His healing them, only to have them go shouting it from the rooftops.
By acting strangely, these 'fools' avoid picking up a fan base that loudly advertises their sanctity and are left to do God's will unhindered.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
on the other side of this discussion; I've been identifying possible locations to climb in the event I'm called to become a stylite.
There's a pair of columns on the way to our parish that lead to nowhere.
columns.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There was an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry David donates a huge sum of $$$ to this foundation. They then name an entire wall after him at their exhibit building. The other major donor is Ted Danson, but he donates anonymously so they put “anonymous” on his wall. Ted tells 2-3 people about his secret so it’ll get out that he’s humble. Larry looks like the bad guy for honestly telling his name. Ted comes off the good guy. So Larry asks his name to be removed and everyone starts adoring him.

It’s ironic that the Fools for Christ wanted quiet anonymity but got the complete opposite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One assumes they worked better in life under the guise of foolishness and anonymity. But after they die, praise isn't going to go to their heads.
You have a bit of hiccuping going on ... in case you're not seeing your posts? It posted twice earlier, and again now. Not sure what the cause might be, but just letting you know.

It's true enough to say three times (in true Orthodox fashion ^_^ ) though!

Upvote 0