United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi Family,

I was searching Amazon for art supplies. I came across a pendant that had a saint who was to protect you.

How exactly does someone believe a saint can protect you?

What are the logistics?

Why cant God be the sole protector?

Do you believe it diminishes the divinity of God?

~Natsumi Lam~

This is in regard to the OP .... re believing in protection by "saints"

Saints & Angels: Saints are humans that supposedly went to heaven. Angels are celestial beings already in heaven, created by God and He sends them on missions ... to minister, protect and other things to accomplish His will.

If one believes when one dies they go to heaven, then one will believe of "saints" (humans) are in heaven and therefore have "powers". I do not find where "saints" have any power in heaven at this point in time. Although there have been a few humans resurrected, the masses (saints - believers in Christ) will not be resurrected until Jesus returns .... then they will be crowned and reign with Him.

God sends ministering angels (not saints) for help and protection.

Psalm 91:11

For He will give His angels charge concerning you, To guard you in all your ways.

Luke 4:10

for it is written, 'HE WILL COMMAND HIS ANGELS CONCERNING YOU TO GUARD YOU,'

Psalm 91:11-12

For He will give His angels charge concerning you, To guard you in all your ways. They will bear you up in their hands, That you do not strike your foot against a stone.

Genesis 19:15

When morning dawned, the angels urged Lot, saying, "Up, take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away in the punishment of the city."

Genesis 48:16

The angel who has redeemed me from all evil, Bless the lads; And may my name live on in them, And the names of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; And may they grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth."

Psalm 34:7

The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, And rescues them.

Daniel 3:28

Nebuchadnezzar responded and said, "Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego, who has sent His angel and delivered His servants who put their trust in Him, violating the king's command, and yielded up their bodies so as not to serve or worship any god except their own God.

Daniel 6:22

"My God sent His angel and shut the lions' mouths and they have not harmed me, inasmuch as I was found innocent before Him; and also toward you, O king, I have committed no crime."

Matthew 18:10

"See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually see the face of My Father who is in heaven.

Acts 27:23-24

"For this very night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood before me, saying, 'Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar; and behold, God has granted you all those who are sailing with you.'

Matthew 4:11
Verse Concepts
Then the devil left Him; and behold, angels came and began to minister to Him.

Luke 2:10-12

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. "This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

1 Timothy 3:16

By common confession, great is the mystery of godliness: He who was revealed in the flesh, Was vindicated in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Proclaimed among the nations, Believed on in the world, Taken up in glory.

Acts 1:9-11

And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, behold, two men in white clothing stood beside them. They also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven."

Psalm 91:11-12

For He will give His angels charge concerning you, To guard you in all your ways. They will bear you up in their hands, That you do not strike your foot against a stone.

Luke 22:43

Now an angel from heaven appeared to Him, strengthening Him.

Matthew 26:53

"Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels?

Matthew 24:31

"And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

2 Thessalonians 1:7

and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire,

Angels help protect ... not "saints"

God Bless.

• Winner
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yup and read 226 again. Your argument, as repeated on 256, is logically hypocritical and you are grasping at straws.

First case is that you were presented Judaism practices, when you were asking for it. Next, you were presented verses already by some people here, just look at the post above me.. after all that you alter "needed" specifications which is this ridiculous: "show me a verse of God honoring it".

You ignore how much of a logical fallacy that is because likewise God doesn't rebuke or refute it in scripture either so you are just in the same boat of "extrabiblical".

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
So do you really think that Pilate was afraid more than just a little?

That's what the Scriptures tell us.

And the Scriptures tell us what was said to Pilate that made him "more afraid".

John 19:7
The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God.

Now why would this statement make Pilate "more afraid". If Pilate believed Jesus was just some quack who had no substantiation to these claims, what threat would he have been?

Pilate knew more than you think he did.

Now the verse before this, Pilate tells them: You take him and crucify him. Do you know why he said that?

Going back and looking at all of this in the light of everything else that was going on politically. Pilate was pushing them to see how far they would go. Would they murder him themselves? Because if they did; politically, Pilate would have justification to go after them!

So yes, trying to balance his responsibility to Rome against the volatile environment he had to deal with. Pilate is getting it from both ends and he's trying to walk a line that keeps him out of as much trouble as possible. That factor though does not mean he was ignorant of who Jesus was or what was going on.

Pilate was not the not the guy to go to if you were looking for leniency; but he wasn't stupid either.

Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
No, what I am saying has nothing to do with belief and your bringing up about faith is not just irrelevant but shows you barely understood what I said and have 0 understanding about reason or science.

It's pure psychology that human beings have a much stronger focus when there is a visual medium. For you talk about "what about faith" and "lol" at my shows the level of ignorance you have at even science.You think that is false, go ask someone who studies digital media or psychology.
Wow. This took a turn for the worse. Thought this was a simple debate of ideas and different interpretations not Personal attacks. You could make your point without insulting me. It is well my dear.
Shalom

• Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Context is the Old Covenant only, though it doesn't say what you said before either.

Context is only the book of Revelations, but even if it referred to the whole of the Bible, it still doesn't say what you claimed.

Still not what you claimed

Is this a paraphrase? It reads completely differently to the translations I've read.
Peace!
Let's agree to disagree.
Shalom

• Agree
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yup and read 226 again. Your argument, as repeated on 256, is logically hypocritical and you are grasping at straws.

First case is that you were presented Judaism practices, when you were asking for it. Next, you were presented verses already by some people here, just look at the post above me.. after all that you alter "needed" specifications which is this ridiculous: "show me a verse of God honoring it".

You ignore how much of a logical fallacy that is because likewise God doesn't rebuke or refute it in scripture either so you are just in the same boat of "extrabiblical".
Basically...since nothing was provided still that God honors those who try to speak with those who have passed on...you are now grasping matches to have the last word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Was it just america. What role did the UN and other nations play?

And just because the UN and other nations were doing the same thing made it right?

Granted I understand that the machinery of political bureaucracy is huge and there are a lot of cogs in that machinery - not all of which have the same evil intensions; but the people at the top who did have evil intensions are not beyond accountability and hopefully we'll see some of that come down the pike in the near future. "FISA brings down the house." If you've ever heard that phrase before and you know what I'm talking about!

The OP of this tread is not political though, so if you want to discuss the politics of foreign policy - you'd have to start a different thread elsewhere.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
You started with politics, i only asked a question about it.

No, you took a statement I made about my experience in Desert Storm out of the context of why I said it. You want to discuss politics. Start a different thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Basically...since nothing was provided still that God honors those who try to speak with those who have passed on...you are now grasping matches to have the last word.

Why is God "honoring" those who who pray to saints a requirement. You do understand why this argument of yours is logically hypocritical. You won't find God rebuking it either which means you are also under the same fault you are proposing. You've seen verses and historical sources of it being practiced, which in itself refutes any "extrabiblical" claims.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Wow. This took a turn for the worse. Thought this was a simple debate of ideas and different interpretations not Personal attacks. You could make your point without insulting me. It is well my dear.
Shalom

I didn't insult you. I'm just trying to explain to you the context of my post.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I took it out of context? Look, im sorry i asked.

Yes, you took it out of context. That post was not about politics, it was about suffering. I believe it was post 259. You want to know what it was really about, go read the whole thing.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, you took it out of context. That post was not about politics, it was about suffering. I believe it was post 259. You want to know what it was really about, go read the whole thing.
I only wanted clarification. It would have taken only one post, instead of three or four.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I only wanted clarification. It would have taken only one post, instead of three or four.

And I answered your question and told you this thread is not about politics. So why then did you go and accuse me of "bringing up politics". You got your answer, why not leave it alone?

• Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And I answered your question and told you this thread is not about politics. So why then did you go and accuse me of "bringing up politics". You got your answer, why not leave it alone?
Alrighty.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The bible strictly warms us to not communicate with the dead.
No, the Bible strictly warns against necromancy, which is specifically trying to gain secret knowledge from the dead.
They will say they are not dead, but neither was Samuel dead when Saul summoned the spirit of the prophet.
How does your tradition interpret Matthew 22:32?

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No, the Bible strictly warns against necromancy, which is specifically trying to gain secret knowledge from the dead.

How does your tradition interpret Matthew 22:32?
The bible also says:

Deuteronomy 18:10-13 ESV / 103 helpful votes
There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lordyour God is driving them out before you. You shall be blameless before the Lord your God,

• Agree
Upvote 0