Saints; can we pray to them? Can they hear us?

Can Saints hear our prayers and actually answer them?

• No. Don't even pray to them, it is wrong.

• Maybe, just maybe but I don't see it stated anywhere in the bible.

• I have done it in the past and I felt something but now I'm not so sure.

• Yes.

Results are only viewable after voting.

CaliforniaJosiah

Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Josiah said:
There is NOTHING that indicates that when we die, an enormous evolutionary leap happens to our sense of hearing that enables us to sense the sound waves of all those on the planet earth - including non existent ones of prayers not verbalized.

The whole concept is absurd
. It's biologically BASELESS. There's NOTHING to suggest that those in heaven hear all 7 billion people on earth - even when they aren't saying anything. Truly absurd. And of course, biblically baseless.

Of course, GOD can "sense" this. And we are told to direct our prayers to Him.

you think that people on this are arguing that dead saints hear the soundwaves made by people?

Read the full title of the thread.

Read the opening post.

It is the topic. It is what we are to discuss.

I did.

Do you disagree with what I posted?

Upvote 0
F

FMX500

There is NOTHING that indicates that when we die, an enormous evolutionary leap happens to our sense of hearing that enables us to sense the sound waves of all those on the planet earth - including non existent ones of prayers not verbalized.

. It's biologically BASELESS. There's NOTHING to suggest that those in heaven hear all 7 billion people on earth - even when they aren't saying anything. Truly absurd. And of course, biblically baseless.

Biologically impossible? Seriously, only an atheist could make that argument.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Josiah said:

Biologically impossible?

Yes.

Now, IF you can quote where GOD says that HE empowers such on our way from Earth to Heaven, then.... Then, the point remains.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Read the full title of the thread.

Read the opening post.

It is the topic. It is what we are to discuss.

I did.

Do you disagree with what I posted?

Where does it say that when we die we do not go to heaven?

Upvote 0
L

Lamb's Wife

Saints; can we pray to them? Can they hear us? More over, are they actually able to do anything?

Mary would be a good starting point.

Lol! Is this question for real?

Helloooo, Ralphie! You there? knock knock knock! Ralphie! Answer me! I need you to do something for me, answer me right this minute and bring a get out of jail card with you please!

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do not think this is a laughing matter.... Christ did say to the thief he will be with him... Was the thief dead? Did the theif go to heaven with Chsist? Are the Prophets and Elias with God? Why the Jews thought Christ was calling Elias? Why the Jews prayed to Rachel's tomb?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
L

Lamb's Wife

I do not think this is a laughing matter.... Christ did say to the thief he will be with him... Was the thief dead? Did the theif go to heaven with Chsist? Are the Prophets and Elias with God? Why the Jews thought Christ was calling Elias? Why the Jews prayed to Rachel's tomb?

It is quite funny first impression to imagine folk thinking to pray to others gone to heaven, yes. And yet I see you ARE serious...

Yes the thief is in Heaven. (No I haven't prayed to him if that is your point?)

Yes all the prophets are with God. (No I don't pray to them for anything either)

Jews, and believe me on this one, are the last ones you want to rely on for why they do what they do. Christ delievered me from their Torah worship and traditions thank God.

So no, I don't pray to people other than Jesus, my Lord and my God.
Nobody can ever justify such a strange notion as to pray to a prophet or the theif for something, I know for a fact there is no such precedence in scripture, it would have to come from a man's teaching somewhere.

Shalom

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Why would Christ say to the theif you will be with me in Paradise tonight?

Um, because he would?

Does that prove that, on the way to heaven, his ears would undergo some evolutionary leap so that he could hear the prayers of all people, including those unspoken? I'm not following how the reality that the thief would be in heaven proves that ergo his ears then could hear all prayers.

:confused:

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Where does it say that when we die we do not go to heaven?

I don't know.

Are you saying they would be in Hell?

But WHEREVER you think the saints are after they die, where do you see some affirmation that their sense of hearing undergoes all the necessary changes so that they can hear the prayers of all persons on earth (including unspoken ones)?

Upvote 0

Ishraqiyun

Fanning the Divine Spark
Mar 22, 2011
Montsalvat
✟21,035.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If by "praying to them" you mean talking to them I don't see why it would be a problem. It's not a practice I make use of but I don't reject it. A lot of people see a practice they don't make use of an automatically attack it for some reason. As long as you don't let them take the place that should only be filled by God.

Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lol! Is this question for real?

Helloooo, Ralphie! You there? knock knock knock! Ralphie! Answer me! I need you to do something for me, answer me right this minute and bring a get out of jail card with you please!

Mature.

It is quite funny first impression to imagine folk thinking to pray to others gone to heaven, yes. And yet I see you ARE serious...

The majority of Christians actually believe in this....

Yes the thief is in Heaven. (No I haven't prayed to him if that is your point?)

Yes all the prophets are with God. (No I don't pray to them for anything either)

Jews, and believe me on this one, are the last ones you want to rely on for why they do what they do. Christ delievered me from their Torah worship and traditions thank God.

So no, I don't pray to people other than Jesus, my Lord and my God.

Congratulations?

Nobody can ever justify such a strange notion as to pray to a prophet or the theif for something,

And yet, people do just that, so this statement is really silly.

I know for a fact there is no such precedence in scripture, it would have to come from a man's teaching somewhere.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." --Obi-Wan Kenobi

Read Maccabees.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know.

But WHEREVER you think the saints are after they die, where do you see some affirmation that their sense of hearing undergoes all the necessary changes so that they can hear the prayers of all persons on earth (including unspoken ones)?

We see this affirmation in the life of the Church through out 2000yrs+ of history.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Josiah said:

We see this affirmation in the life of the Church through out 2000yrs+ of history.

Thank you. How does that answer the questions? :confused:

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It answered the question for 2,000 years now ;) Sorry it does not answer it for you CJ

I think the point you and a few others are trying to make is that for a long time (obviously, you can't document for 2000 years, you are just throwing that figure out there in a totally baseless way), people prayed TO to those believed to be in heaven. No one disputes they at times have and that this practice goes back a number of centuries. But, AS YOU KNOW, that's not the question of this thread, it's not the issue CF permits us to discuss here, and it's not what I asked.

Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"How is it that the saints see us and our needs and hear our prayers? Let us make the following comparison: Suppose that you were transplanted to the sun and were united to it. The sun lights the whole earth with its rays, it lights every particle of the earth. In these rays you also see the earth, but you are so small in proportion to the sun, that you would form, so to say, but one ray, and there are an infinite number of such rays. By its identity with the sun this ray takes an intimate part in lighting the whole world through the sun. So also the saintly soul, having become united to God, as to its spiritual sun, sees, through the medium of its spiritual sun, which lights the whole universe, all men and the needs of those that pray."

--St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ

Upvote 0