Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by JohnR7
If you had to choose to be either a saint or a sinner, what would you choose? If you could not do both. If for example, your choice was to be a saint, then you would have to be willing to give up all sin. What would your choice be?

Saint, without question. Why would ANYONE want to be a sinner?

-Jason

Upvote 0

davo

Mar 24, 2002
Visit site
✟1,104.00
Originally posted by JohnR7
If you had to choose to be either a saint or a sinner, what would you choose? If you could not do both. If for example, your choice was to be a saint, then you would have to be willing to give up all sin. What would your choice be?

G'day JohnR7 -my choice would be "saint" -the other really isn't an option, as that's the way I came. However Jesus CAME and set me FREE!! :clap:

davo

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Remember,
Only Sinners get to be Saints!

I thank God I was born a sinner with the opportuinity to enjoy the ministry of forgiveness of my sins in Christ.

Who would want to bypass Christ?

I choose sinner, because sinners are the only ones who get saved!

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>if I could make a split second decision to stop sinning period... id do it in just that, a split second.

It looks to me like you have the right attitude. I do not know about a split second, but I am sure we can be set free from all sin in a moment of time. In fact I believe that when God saved me, that I was set free from sin, but that I made a choice to return to it in part.

God can accomplish more in a moment of time, than I could acomplish in a lifetime apart from Him. They say that Jesus will return in the twinkle of an eye. Perhaps that is a split second of time that our whole eternity will be changed. Yet that same resurrection power of God is already at work in us to prepare us for that day.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>Excuse my ignorance but what is the actual definition of a Saint?

I was using the word Saint meaning to be free from sin. But actually it means to be Holy before God as in: "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty" Rev. 4:8 It means to have a garment cleansed in the Blood of the Lamb, and not defiled by the flesh. To be pure, consecrated and dedicated to God.

1 Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

You can look up Holy in your dictionary to get the real Bible meaning of the word Saint.

hagios, hag'-ee-os; from hagos (an awful thing) [compare Greek 53 (hagnos), Hebrew 2282 (chag)]; sacred (physical pure, moral blameless or religious, ceremony consecrated) :- (most) holy (one, thing), saint.

ho·ly (h½“l¶) adj. ho·li·er, ho·li·est. 1. Belonging to, derived from, or associated with a divine power; sacred. 2. Regarded with or worthy of worship or veneration; revered: a holy book. 3. Living according to a strict or highly moral religious or spiritual system; saintly: a holy person. 4. Specified or set apart for a religious purpose: a holy place. 5. Solemnly undertaken; sacrosanct: a holy pledge. 6. Regarded or deserving special respect or reverence: The pursuit of peace is our holiest quest. 7. Informal. Used as an intensive: raised holy hell over the mischief their children did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>Who would want to bypass Christ?

The only way to become a Saint is through Christ. We do not have the power on our own, apart from God. It is the work of the Holy Spirit of God in us. But to be a sinner is to be a slave and in bondage, there is no real choice there. To be a saint, we have to choice to allow the Holy Spirit to do a work in our lives to set us free from bondage.

I suppose there are those who choose to be sinners because they want to enjoy the passing pleasure of sin. Even if it only lasts for a season. To be a sinner means to live life in the flesh, according to the works of the flesh. To be Holy is to live according to the Spirit.

Often we hear of peole who want to be free from sin, but have not found the power or the way to be free yet. But I wonder, do we really want to be free from sin? That is why I asked the question, and I guess that answer is YES, there are people who really do want freedom in Christ. Thanks, JohnR7

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>All saints are sinners, but not all sinners are saints!

A lot of people believe that. I attend a church that preaches and teaches that you can live free from sin. Also, they believe if you serve God you can walk in divine health and be free from sickness.

John 8:34-36
Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. [35] "And the slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. [36] "If therefore the Son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2002 Christian

Mar 12, 2002
USA
✟897.00
Here are references showing 'sinners':
-eye is bad (Luke 11)
-body full of darkness (Luke 11)
-bad tree, bad fruit (Matt 7)
-bad man, bad treasure (Matt 12)
-bad fish, wicked (Matt 13)
-evil servant (Matt 24)
-foolish virgin (Matt 25)
-wicked, lazy servant (Matt 25)
-goat (Matt 25)
-tares (Matt 13)
-sleeping servant (Mark 13)
-filthy rags (Isa 64)
-unrighteousness

If you haven't ever made the decision, aided by Divine power, to give up all known sinning, you aren't a saint. You are in the category described above.

Here are references showing 'saints':
-eye is good (Luke 11)
-body full of light (Luke 11)
-good tree, good fruit (Matt 7)
-good man, good treasure (Matt 12)
-good fish , just (Matt 13)
-faithful, wise servant (Matt 24)
-wise virgin (Matt 25)
-good, faithful servant (Matt 25)
-sheep (Matt 25)
-wheat (Matt 13)
-watching servant (Mark 13)
-fine linen (Rev 19)
-righteous acts of the saints

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was discussing Saints with a couple that my wife and I are very close to. They are both Catholic and held the contention that Saint's were sinless.

I know that Catholic's do not teach this but because the saint's had been held in such reverance they never really gave any thought to the fact that they were human's and therefore sinners (no-less beutiful holy people because of that though).

I showed them where the Bible says all are sinners and fall short of the glory of GOd and Katie (the wife) started crying. I couldn't believe it and re-played what I had said all-night.

I had todl her this out of love and had shown her this with total respect toward her beliefs. It was good that she saw that for herself but when I made her cry (she is so sweet) I could barely hold back the tears myself.

I felt terrible.

Upvote 0

2002 Christian

Mar 12, 2002
USA
✟897.00
A good tree doesn't produce bad fruit.
While a person abides in the vine, he bears much fruit. That is what Jesus says.

If a churchian sins, he can't blame God for it.

1 John 3
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not.
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.