Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
looking at the actual Scriptural quote, I don't think so. at least not the 12 or the 70 who founded Sees since women weren't bishops.

but, there were still female Apostles.
Scripture does say that St Junia was of note among the 70 and St John Chrysostom notes that she is called an apostle (in Scripture?)...so how does that work? The OCA website also says that she is one of the 70. I didn’t think that inherently meant that they had the authority of clergy. St Junia accompanied St Adrinicus. She shared the gospel yes, but that doesn’t mean she was the “founder” of one of the Churches.

ETA: I guess Scripture doesn’t say “of not among the 70 apostles”. The OCA website does however say she is
“of the 70”, so that does seem to be “an” Orthodox opinion

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Scripture does say that St Junia was of note among the 70 and St John Chrysostom notes that she is called an apostle (in Scripture?)...so how does that work? The OCA website also says that she is one of the 70. I didn’t think that inherently meant that they had the authority of clergy. St Junia accompanied St Adrinicus. She shared the gospel yes, but that doesn’t mean she was the “founder” of one of the Churches.

ETA: I guess Scripture doesn’t say “of not among the 70 apostles”. The OCA website does however say she is one of the 70, so that does seem to be “an” Orthodox opinion

I said according to the actual Scriptural quote (the one linked), which says Junias, and not Junia, which sounded like a masculine name.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I said according to the actual Scriptural quote (the one linked), which says Junias, and not Junia, which sounded like a masculine name.
Ok, heading out the door; I read the post differently than that so perhaps I’m mixing up two posts; will write more later.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Of note among the apostles" can also have two meanings: (1) the apostles believe she/he is noteworthy (e.g. "Star Wars is of note among film critics"), or (2) she/he is a noteworth apostle (e.g. "Star Wars is of note among the 1970s movies"

Reactions: TheLostCoin
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Of note among the apostles" can also have two meanings: (1) the apostles believe she/he is noteworthy (e.g. "Star Wars is of note among film critics"), or (2) she/he is a noteworth apostle (e.g. "Star Wars is of note among the 1970s movies"
Right. I’m referring to both the scripture and the context of the OCA (and other Orthodox) sources put together for an “Orthodox” view, albeit not “the” authoritative Orthodox view.

That said, when I have time, there are more sources to consider that give more context to both what you are saying and what other sources say.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ok, heading out the door; I read the post differently than that so perhaps I’m mixing up two posts; will write more later.

I am fine with Junia being proper and being a woman. women Apostles have been around since the beginning. and if the Church says she was one of the 70, then I am not gonna argue.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The actual Greek Scripture passage says Junian, though, which is the accusative case for both the male and female forms.

Whether he was Junias or she was Junia can only decided by extra-Biblical sources (which is why several people are knocking on the Orthodox door in this thread).

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The actual Greek Scripture passage says Junian, though, which is the accusative case for both the male and female forms.<snip>

One of those points that I was going to mention later :) thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am fine with Junia being proper and being a woman. women Apostles have been around since the beginning. and if the Church says she was one of the 70, then I am not gonna argue.
So my question is: if she was among the 70 and was a founder of a See...and the apostles are the predecessors of our bishops...why is there a sex limitation on our bishops when there wasn't on the 70?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We also have been mixing up the feminine and masculine forms of the name in this thread (myself included).

I've been trying to sit on the fence while still using the right pronouns. It's awkward.

• Agree
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So my question is: if she was among the 70 and was a founder of a See...and the apostles are the predecessors of our bishops...why is there a sex limitation on our bishops when there wasn't on the 70?

she was not the founder of a See, no woman was

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've been trying to sit on the fence while still using the right pronouns. It's awkward.
It’d be clearer if we actually were using the Greek :) except for cases like the declension in the referenced scripture ;)

Upvote 0