Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A Facebook friend posted this comment and a saint Anthony meme that speaks against it.

"...but God cannot look at or be in the presence of sin... lets discuss"

St. Anthony meme.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟217,368.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Saying that God can't stand to be in the presence of sin always seemed so wrong and backwards to me. Surely it makes much more sense to say that sin can't stand to be in the presence of God.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is impossible that sin overcomes/repels God such that He cannot be in its presence.

1. Satan presented himself before God and conversed with Him in Job ... Satan is almost synonymous with sin.

2. Jesus is God, and He became incarnate and spent his lifetime on earth surrounded by sin and sinners.

3. God is everywhere present. It would be ridiculous to think that somehow He is pushed out or shrinks away from where sin is present.

That's what comes up off the top of my head. I was raised being taught God couldn't be in the presence of sin or could not look upon sin, but I've since come to think that has to be completely wrong.

I do agree it's more a matter of sin not abiding easily in God's presence.

Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is impossible that sin overcomes/repels God such that He cannot be in its presence.

1. Satan presented himself before God and conversed with Him in Job ... Satan is almost synonymous with sin.

2. Jesus is God, and He became incarnate and spent his lifetime on earth surrounded by sin and sinners.

3. God is everywhere present. It would be ridiculous to think that somehow He is pushed out or shrinks away from where sin is present.

That's what comes up off the top of my head. I was raised being taught God couldn't be in the presence of sin or could not look upon sin, but I've since come to think that has to be completely wrong.

That is the reason for the need of a mediator.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Indeed, the Orthodox interpretation of Heaven and Hell is that God is a consuming fire of pure love; for the righteous (those likewise dilled with godly love), this will be paradise, but for the wicked (the hateful), it will be an unbearable torture.

I am working on figuring out a good way to explain this doctrine to Western Christians who are poorly catechized and imagine Hell as a fiery red dungeon with torture equipment.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, the Orthodox interpretation of Heaven and Hell is that God is a consuming fire of pure love; for the righteous (those likewise dilled with godly love), this will be paradise, but for the wicked (the hateful), it will be an unbearable torture.

I am working on figuring out a good way to explain this doctrine to Western Christians who are poorly catechized and imagine Hell as a fiery red dungeon with torture equipment.
As far as explaining, I like something I heard. At least some parts might be helpful.

it was a 3-part podcast here - Reaching the Nones and Dones | Ancient Faith Ministries

I wish I could tell you exactly where. I think it's early in part one but he was talking about how he explains Orthodoxy as opposed to western beliefs in Christianity and how those who rejected Christianity responded to it, since mostly they rejected it based on misconceptions created by "hellfire torture" by God.

I wanted to save it myself and I think I once transcribed that part and posted it here for someone. But it was the best of heatd so far.

I want very much to see that documentary too.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0