Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
I understand most of the symbols in the dream
I'm posting, but wonder if a sagging ceiling (caused
by water / leak) shows something good or bad.

This is the dream:

I walked into a living-room that was mine to see
my father-in-law pick up my easy chair to take it
to his own place. I was shocked and angry at
such a blatant act and confronted him without
mercy. He was stunned by my confrontation and
slowed his pace but still kept trying to take the
chair. I did not back down, and he finally left,
empty handed. At this point, I went to my bed
room to find the A-line ceiling over my bed was
sagging under a load of water (it looked wet) on
the left side. The dream ended here.

The father-in-law is symbolic of 'law', the chair of
rest (as is the bed). An A-line ceiling would be in
an attic. The bed stood in the center of the A-frame
and the left side of the 'A' was sagging.

Thanks for your thoughts.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I believe the leaking, sagging ceiling is in parallel to your FIL stealing the chair. The roof is a protective covering. When we rest in the completed works of Christ and draw our identity solely from Him, the accusations of the law roll off us like water off a roof, because in Christ we have died to the law, so it has no more authority over us (early Romans 7). The law tries to steal our rest with its insatiable demand for self-justification. The dream would be an admonition to make sure your covering is intact so that can't happen.

Upvote 0

MastersPiece

May 29, 2012
Seated in Heavenly Places
✟3,174.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I walked into a living-room that was mine to see my father-in-law pick up my easy chair to take it to his own place. I was shocked and angry at such a blatant act and confronted him without mercy. He was stunned by my confrontation and slowed his pace but still kept trying to take the chair. I did not back down, and he finally left,
empty handed. At this point, I went to my bed room to find the A-line ceiling over my bed was sagging under a load of water (it looked wet) on
the left side. The dream ended here.
Hi Charis,
Blessings. I believe what Abba is showing you here is that some form of authoritative relationship based on law/legalism is trying to steal your ability to be at rest & at ease. What I'm getting is the Lord is warning you to be careful as your response to this has the potential to affect your spiritual covering.. A ceiling is also symbolic of something that limits one's growth, and so your reactions may depress your attitude & ability to grow in God.
As usual, please take the interp to Abba for clearance as with any dream interpretation.
wubpink.gif
His richest blessings

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I know that people sometimes interpret rain or other water as Holy Spirit outpouring, but it seems that in a dream, the inner reactions tell more than any of us outside can tell. And there's a lot to say for common sense.

Water weighing down the ceiling will inevitably collapse and ruin the ceiling. No matter what that water is, it will ruin your security and create a lot of unwanted work.

As others said, the father-in-law exerted authority by taking his chair. Chairs are also seats of position, domain. He took it from your home without asking.

The A shape is similar to the triangle of checks and balances in governments -- a balance of power in Legislative, Executive, and Judicial.
Separation of powers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When all are in balance, the structure remains sound. One side trying to be larger, or lean further, will weaken the structure and cause it to collapse.

I'm not sure what country you're from, but do consider this might reach beyond your personal situations into areas that cry out for immediate prayer.

Last night I had a similar dream which could apply to how the executive branch does things without asking -- especially in dealing with the constituents. I might post it in another thread. In mine, the one who considered himself the ruler had ordered the house to be completely gutted without mentioning it to the other branches... having renovation done while they slept.

In any case, this seems like a dream where security and possessions are taken from you, by outside forces and out of your control. In addition, the caving in above might have shown an imposed decay of your authority.

Upvote 0

*Charis*

*Psalm 36:9*
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you all for the responses... they've all helped in bringing
some clarity to the dream.

I want to share a thought a poster from another forum had as
it too seems significant and in line with what the Lord is doing
in establishing me in grace:

The water in the ceiling could represent the water of the word soaking the ceiling
panelling and soon, it will break through. That would be a positive interp.

You said it was the left side of the ceiling, and in the mind, the left side is the logic
and reasoning side. I also believe that side is the side that dominates when we focus
on the law and legalism.

Parsley~ I had a brief thought that the dream might apply to
more than my personal life. This would be the first... I'm keeping
it in prayer. (Looking forward to reading your dream.)

Thanks again, guys. It's a blessing to get things out in the open
and learn from others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

humblewatchman

Two greatest commandements are to love.
Nov 13, 2011
West Coast...USA
✟18,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you have issues with your father or father in law in real life, I would say the focus and meaning of the dream is personal. I believe water represents emotions here. They are heavy over you. If a ceiling is bulging/hanging, it is never a good symbol in dreams....something negative is looming. You have a number of negative symbols.. ..starting with disrespect of an elder who should be one deserving of your honor, no matter what they are like. Then you have the aspect of someone taking our position/place, and you over react. There must be a similar situation in your own waking life that parallels this dream. I am sorry to say, but there is nothing positive about it. May God guide you gently into all truth and bring delivery, restoration, and healing.

Upvote 0

MastersPiece

May 29, 2012
✟3,174.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You said it was the left side of the ceiling, and in the mind, the left side is the logic and reasoning side. I also believe that side is the side that dominates when we focus on the law and legalism.
The left side in dreams also refers to things that are of a spiritual nature
The right side represents actual occurances irl
His richest blessings
smileys-afraid-923152.gif

Upvote 0

*Charis*

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
The left side in dreams also refers to things that are of a spiritual nature
The right side represents actual occurances irl
His richest blessings
smileys-afraid-923152.gif
Just got back from a walk / stroll with my little 18 mo grandson. While
walking, this aspect of the meaning of 'left' crossed my mind. ( That 'left'
is symbolic of the weakness of 'flesh', and strength of God... again,
consistant with what God is teaching me).

Thank you, MastersPiece!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

*Charis*

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
If you have issues with your father or father in law in real life, I would say the focus and meaning of the dream is personal. I believe water represents emotions here. They are heavy over you. If a ceiling is bulging/hanging, it is never a good symbol in dreams....something negative is looming. You have a number of negative symbols.. ..starting with disrespect of an elder who should be one deserving of your honor, no matter what they are like. Then you have the aspect of someone taking our position/place, and you over react. There must be a similar situation in your own waking life that parallels this dream. I am sorry to say, but there is nothing positive about it. May God guide you gently into all truth and bring delivery, restoration, and healing.
Thank you for responding, humblewatchman. IRL, I have no issues with
my FIL. As I posted earlier, a FIL is symbolic of the law or legalism...
something the Lord has graciously been bringing me out of. In line with this
symbol, I've shown no disrespect for my FIL... rather, stood firm in the
authority I have in Jesus over every form of 'law' that tries to rob me
of the power and truth I have in the Lord.

Actually, I lean more toward positive interps of this dream, and
praise God endlessly for the liberty I / we have in His grace, by faith.

I've also given more thought to the possibility of this dream being
'more than personal'. The conclusion I've come to is that if there is
more to it, it is helping me find my voice... and to help others come
to the same truth of salvation by grace, through faith, and the life
of abundance He gives to those who 'die to their own efforts (flesh)',
and trust Jesus' finished work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

*Charis*

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
what law is trying to "rob you"? Is there someone in authority over you that you are dealing with right now?
No. The 'law' I'm referring to is that which Paul taught in
Romans / Galatians... of the old covenant. The 'law', though
given by God, was not meant to save anyone~ only point out
how much they fall short of the God's likeness... to show the
incredible need of Him. Paul taught the Galatians not to try to
finish the work the Holy Spirit began by their human effort.
This is what I'm talking of...( hope I'm alittle clearer in my
description here).

Upvote 0

MastersPiece

May 29, 2012
✟3,174.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Just got back from a walk / stroll with my little 18 mo grandson. While
walking, this aspect of the meaning of 'left' crossed my mind. ( That 'left'
is symbolic of the weakness of 'flesh', and strength of God... again,
consistant with what God is teaching me).
Thank you, MastersPiece!
Bless you - Abba Himself is your teacher and He's doing a fine job!
smileys-dancing-354201.gif

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I had a brief thought that the dream might apply to
more than my personal life.
If you get dual insight out of the dream, then you gain twice as much! No harm done, unless you take leaps based on hunches.

The classic scenes from Frasier's dad's recliner come to mind... or the many shows that present the father's favorite chair as the untouchable spot. People can come visit and feel at home, but they can't sit in The Chair. That is your solace and refuge.

Think about other things in your life that you feel that way about -- the privacy of your quiet time, other people using your kitchen, someone borrowing your car and leaving garbage on the floor.

I find it ridiculous that he even would consider taking the chair, and think that reaction might be part of the story. You didn't anticipate him taking your living room "throne" because it wouldn't have occurred to you to be a risk. So you were unprepared to fend off the theft/usurped seat.

And maybe you would have fought harder, had you known.

Upvote 0