Saddam is dead....

C

Caleb89

And another thing, you have to look at it fom both sides...

Do this:

1.) Think of the person that means the MOST to you in your life. {It's probably someone you would lay your own life down for, especially if its your child}

2.) Now picture them killing hundreds of people and being sentenced to DIE by hanging.

3.) How would you feel? Would you still think that it is an accurate sentence? Would you agree with the sentence? Would you still feel the same way you do about Suddam being executed?

Think of the Apostle Pual... back when he was Saul. He was responsible for the killing of hundreds of CHRISTIANS!!! Do you think that he should have been put to death? ... Try to imagine what CHRISTIANITY would be like today, had he been put to death for his murders!

Reactions: reverend B
Upvote 0

icedtea

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2006
Ohio
✟30,909.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The bible seems to be for the death penalty. And what does forgiveness have to do with it? Again, it is justice. Everyone can forgive Saddam, that doesn't mean he should be let free, does it? Unless you are advocating anarchy, no laws.

Upvote 0
C

Caleb89

The bible seems to be for the death penalty. And what does forgiveness have to do with it? Again, it is justice. Everyone can forgive Saddam, that doesn't mean he should be let free, does it? Unless you are advocating anarchy, no laws.

No, not at all! As I said before, he did need to be punished, just as anyone who break's the laws of government do. But, when you put someone to death, you are essentially playing God... Who is the Giver of Life? ... God! ... Who then is the only one who has the right to take away Life? ... GOD!!!

By, taking ultimate justice (the death penalty) into our own hands, we are basically saying that we do not trust in God that he will ultimately punish the WICKED on the final day of judgement.

Too, as I've already said many many times, we are not living under the same conditions as the people and governments of the Old Testament. And to say that we are is basically saying that the Old Covenant is still in effect for all of us and that Jesus dying on the cross and rising on the trird day (the New Covenant) is VOID!!! ... So basically what you're saying is that EVERYONE who is a gentile has no hope for Salvation.

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The OT was the death penality's biggest fan because it was a covenant based flesh and outward ritual. The NT, ushered in by Jesus for the fulfillment and completion of the OT, had a profoundly spiritual and inward interpretation of the OT Law and Prophets. In response to the OT command to execute adulterous women, Jesus contradicted the laws of the old covenant:
[bible]John 8:1-9[/bible]

Whether or not you view capital punishment as morally acceptable from a Christian perspective really doesn't matter though because American government nor any other true democracy is based on any religious system.
What does matter is whether or not it is humane based on science and reason.
Simply looking at this map will show what most of the world see as the logic behind capital punishment.
Besides the U.S. the only countries who allow such a punishment are southwestern Asian and African countries. That speaks volumes in and of itself.

Death_Penalty_World_Map.png

</IMG>

Upvote 0

reverend B

Senior Veteran
Feb 23, 2004
North Carolina
✟16,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
how does not supporting the death penalty equate to setting him free?
i think life imprisonment would "show how society feels about" his crimes, and yet we would not succumb to the most base tendencies of man, such as revenge. i think you said that a thief can pay back what he has stolen. you are right when you say that is not the case with saddam, so how does taking his life do anything but satisfy the blood lust that we reasonably feel, yet are called to rise above? if we are to love our enemies, shouldn't we find better ways of showing it? unless we are killing saddam to show him our love for him, how have we responded to the greatest challenge Christ asked of us?

Reactions: Adammi
Upvote 0
C

Caleb89

The OT was the death penality's biggest fan because it was a covenant based flesh and outward ritual. The NT, ushered in by Jesus for the fulfillment and completion of the OT, had a profoundly spiritual and inward interpretation of the OT Law and Prophets. In response to the OT command to execute adulterous women, Jesus contradicted the laws of the old covenant:
[bible]John 8:1-9[/bible]

Whether or not you view capital punishment as morally acceptable from a Christian perspective or not really doesn't matter though because our government nor any other true democracy is based on any religious system.
What does matter is whether or not it is humane based on science and reason.
Simply looking at this map will show what most of the world sees as the logic behind capital punishment.
Besides the U.S. the only countries who allow such a punishment are southwestern Asian and African countries. That speaks volumes in and of itself.

If you notice, Israel itself does not have the death penalty... What does that say about the conditions today not being the same as that of the Old Testament?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

Caleb89

how does not supporting the death penalty equate to setting him free?
i think life imprisonment would "show how society feels about" his crimes, and yet we would not succumb to the most base tendencies of man, such as revenge. i think you said that a thief can pay back what he has stolen. you are right when you say that is not the case with saddam, so how does taking his life do anything but satisfy the blood lust that we reasonably feel, yet are called to rise above? if we are to love our enemies, shouldn't we find better ways of showing it? unless we are killing saddam to show him our love for him, how have we responded to the greatest challenge Christ asked of us?

:thumbsup:

BRAVO!!! ... I think to often in society today, we forget that there is a difference between "not hating someone" and "loving someone". To love someone is to care for them, have compassion for them, want the best for them, to help them.... Jesus said, "LOVE YOUR ENEMY AS YOU LOVE YOURSELF!" .... He didn't say, "DON"T HATE YOUR ENEMY... YOU DON"T HAVE TO LOVE THEM, JUST DON"T HATE THEM!"

Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Saddam is NOT DEAD!! A stooge/double died in his place.
When Saddam was first captured out of that "rat hole," wasn't he fingerprinted and/or DNA tested, and ID positively confirmed? I thought I read that somewhere. . . . .

Upvote 0
C

Caleb89

:confused: When you think about it, there are primarily three sects of Muslims in Iraq, the Kurds, the Sunnis, and the Shi'ites. 2/3 of the sects are "rejoicing" as Fox News so elequently put it (LOL!)... So, what does this mean for Iraq? Does it mean that support for US occupation in Iraq by Iraqi citizens will increase? Or will it mean the polar ooposite will happen? ... Do you think that the two sects "rejoicing" over the execution of Saddam will band together or that this will just create more turmoil between all three sects? :confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

reverend B

Senior Veteran
Feb 23, 2004
North Carolina
✟16,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
i think it is interesting that when you look at the map showing the distribution of countries that support the death penalty globally, the vast majority is the u.s. and the middle east. isn't it interesting that they are also the countries that much of the population consider "religious" countries. where does the blood lust stem from in these countries that profess to have God as their guiding light? is it coincidental that these countries are at odds with each other?

Upvote 0
C

Caleb89

i think it is interesting that when you look at the map showing the distribution of countries that support the death penalty globally, the vast majority is the u.s. and the middle east. isn't it interesting that they are also the countries that much of the population consider "religious" countries. where does the blood lust stem from in these countries that profess to have God as their guiding light? is it coincidental that these countries are at odds with each other?

Isn't it also ironic that the countries who are not really thought of as "religious" countries have abolished the death penalty??? I mean, you would think that THEY WERE the "religious" countries, because they obviously know more about the Love of GOD than the more "religious" countries!!! ... Another indication as to all the good that can come with "Seperation from church and state"!!!!

Upvote 0
R

RigalCygnos

Saddam is NOT DEAD!! A stooge/double died in his place.

When Saddam was first captured out of that "rat hole," wasn't he fingerprinted and/or DNA tested, and ID positively confirmed? I thought I read that somewhere. . . . .

Not an impossibility. But who did the testing and made the announcements? I have no idea whether it was or was not Saddam, but why would he be found in a rat hole? With the huge wealth that he had, he allows himself to be caught like that?

There were lots of reports that he did, indeed, use doubles of himself quite frequently. A family double would be ideal...this guy had little to say, if he were Saddam; I expected some rather glorious rhetoric...

We can never be certain, unless the real fellow shows up someday.

Upvote 0