Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, I just have a BIG problem with people who think that America was founded on a theocracy. If you compare the Islam theocracies in the Middle East, how the Sunnis and Shiites continue fighting each other with America, whom with the exception of Civil War (which had nothing to do with denomination issues) lived in relative peace, you can tell America is NOT a theocracy. Period.

Upvote 0

elanor

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Nov 9, 2003
Left Coast
Visit site
✟16,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was a bit fearful that I'd come into this thread and see people gleeful over Saddam's death. It does my heart good to know that there are so many who condemn and grieve over the atrocities committed by this man, but yet do not rejoice in his death. The verses posted by InnerPhyre in post #10 are so right. Better repentance and healing than death.

Upvote 0

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟28,432.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
First, the folks celebrating on CNN were Muslims in Michigan, not in Iraq. But the more and more I think about it, I cannot imagine what it must be like for the people there. Relief and I'm sure a bit of sadness, but also some joy. It must be overwhelming.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟180,936.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
First, the folks celebrating on CNN were Muslims in Michigan, not in Iraq. But the more and more I think about it, I cannot imagine what it must be like for the people there. Relief and I'm sure a bit of sadness, but also some joy. It must be overwhelming.
Thanks for the correction. I didn't catch that. I wondered why they spoke such good English :confused:

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
How can we tell when a man deserves to die?
When he's committed a crime that takes I don't know... multiple human lives of his own people?

I think the news said something around 1,000,000?

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
When he's committed a crime that takes I don't know... multiple human lives of his own people?

I think the news said something around 1,000,000?

So when our sense of vengance tells us so? I could understand the need to kill him if he was still in a position to kill. Put I don't get the sense of moral superiority that the killing of one defenseless man has above another.

Upvote 0

BigToe

Jun 24, 2003
Visit site
✟28,432.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the correction. I didn't catch that. I wondered why they spoke such good English :confused:
I believe they were Iraqi Americans though. And CNN did say they aired it on the Arabic tv stations in Iraq, so it was easy to confuse. I thought it was there too, but they have a curfew going on in a bunch of places.

Upvote 0

ny5i

Dec 10, 2006
Visit site
✟7,781.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was a bit fearful that I'd come into this thread and see people gleeful over Saddam's death. It does my heart good to know that there are so many who condemn and grieve over the atrocities committed by this man, but yet do not rejoice in his death.

I take no joy in his execution but I also refuse to call him victim of anything other than his own ego. The justice he received was dealt out by the people of his country and faith.

We sit around and talk about his trial, his sentence and his execution as if our legal system was somehow involved. Other than the fact that he was held in US custody, the US did the right thing and let the Iraqi people through their fledgling government try and convict him based on their own laws. I am actually proud of the Iraqi government for going through that process and not simply executing him without any form of trial.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigToe

Jun 24, 2003
Visit site
✟28,432.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Heh, they're still gonna try him and the others for the genocide case too. That's the one they all thought would be the one where he would be executed, not the crimes against humanity.

Upvote 0
A

Asphat

So he's dead. Although I don't doubt that the Iraqis will have a bit of a morale boost to see the one who tortured them so dead, I believe that the death penalty is a rather cruel sentance. No time to feel guilty about what you had done, no time to actually realize the concenquences for your actions, you just... die. I don't know, I just feel that an life imprisionment woud have been better than a death sentance.

Upvote 0

jlujan69

Jul 28, 2004
United States
✟5,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I, for one, have no problem thanking the Lord when justice is carried out. Yes, this most certainly is His justice. Those (Christians) who somehow think that God does not sometimes carry out His justice through human beings or their governments lack an understanding of the nature of God and the Bible itself. Saddam faced God's temporal justice (through man) today, and if he didn't repent before dying, is facing God's ultimate justice now. Case closed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
A

Asphat

I, for one, have no problem thanking the Lord when justice is carried out. Yes, this most certainly is His justice. Those (Christians) who somehow think that God does not sometimes carry out His justice through human beings or their governments lack an understanding of the nature of God and the Bible itself. Saddam faced God's temporal justice (through man) today, and if he didn't repent before dying, is facing God's ultimate justice now. Case closed.

So, just for clarification, you are completely ok with how Saddam died?

Upvote 0

MsAnne

:)
Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
✟12,333.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I take no joy in his execution but I also refuse to call him victim of anything other than his own ego...

Saddam had his life. He had his chance. He made his choices. He lived longer than, say, Mozart, or Jesus. He was not a victim...

Two excellent posts.

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Shame on you Christians who rejoice when your God does not.

Ezekiel 18:23
Do I indeed derive any pleasure from the death of the wicked? says the Lord GOD. Do I not rather rejoice when he turns from his evil way that he may live?

18:32

For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies, says the Lord GOD. Return and live!

But the Lord ordered the death of many, many Canaanites (see the book of Joshua). In this way, I am God-like: I'm not rejoicing in Saddam's death, but I approve.

Upvote 0
C

Caleb89

The man did some terrible things. There's no one denying that. But, I am adamently AGAINST the death penalty. If every human being is equal in God's eyes, then we are no better than he is. In God's eyes, SIN is SIN. So, all the murders he is responsible for, are no worse than every time we look upon someone with lust or tell a lie or steal something, in God's eyes. SIN is SIN. SIN is WICKED. God doesn't look at one sin as being less wicked than the other.... So, in that respect, we are all still equal in God's eyes; We are sinners, by nature, just as Suddam was. So, how then, if we are equals, do we have the right to take another human's life? Isn't forgiveness what Jesus taught?

[bible]Matthew 5:38-48[/bible]

I would hope that if someone were to do something as horrible as murder my family, that I would be able to forgive them, eventually. I would hope that through the love of God, I would not hold anger against them in my heart, at least not forever. It would be only natural that through grief I would be angry. But, if I do not let go of that anger; if I do not "surrender it all to Jesus" (As my favorite hymn, "I Surrender All" goes) then that anger will destroy my life. So, not only has the guilty taken away your family's life, they have also taken away your's... Well, that is to say, you have let your anger toward them take away your life.

So, I pray that the families of the victims are able to forgive Suddam, for their sakes.

Does it make all the murders that he is responsible for justified now that he has been executed? Does it take away the pain of the families? Does it give them back their loved ones?

If someone sets a house on fire, does me going and setting another house on fire put the other fire out??? NO!!!

This goes back to the Old Testament's, "AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH." What I think we all too often forget is that we are not living under the same conditions the people of the Old Testament were living in. God spoke directly to people in those days. They knew what the punishment of defying God's law was.

We don't live under those conditions anymore.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that he should have gooten off scotch-free, not at all. I think that he should have been punished, as should everyone that breaks the law (government not God's). But, I think that when you sentence someone to death, that you are essentially playing God. I mean, who is the Giver of Life?... God! .... And then who is the only One who has the right to take away life... GOD!!!

Too, I think we all too often question the things that happen, as is only natural. However, we forget that God has a Master Plan. And that EVERYTHING that happens, happens for a reason and is all apart of His Grand Design.

The Bible Says that God chooses the rulers of nations. So, God is going to put into power who he wants to be in power. And so, Suddam came to power and was allowed to do the horrible things he did for a purpose. And this purpose probably and most likely is, much bigger than we can comprehend. We just have to trust in the Lord that He knows what he is doing... and He does.

Reactions: s_gunter
Upvote 0