United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Bill Milliken, Michigan's longest-serving governor, dies

William “Bill” Milliken, Michigan’s longest-serving governor who helped define a generation of centrist politicians, died Friday in Traverse City, a family spokesman said. He was 97.....

Milliken was a moderate Republican who pursued an activist conservation and environmental agenda during his 14 years as governor from 1969 to 1983 before Michigan voters limited governors to serving two four-year terms. He also made high priorities of race relations and urban issues, and worked with Democrats.....

The former two-time lieutenant governor helped persuade voters to adopt Michigan’s 10-cent bottle deposit law in 1976 and won legal limits on phosphates in laundry detergent that had polluted Lake Erie in the 1970s.

In 1979, Milliken signed the Wetlands Protection Act, which created stricter guidelines for controlling water runoff from farming fields.
I remember him fondly. He cared about the land and the people.

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bill Milliken, Michigan's longest-serving governor, dies

William “Bill” Milliken, Michigan’s longest-serving governor who helped define a generation of centrist politicians, died Friday in Traverse City, a family spokesman said. He was 97.....

Milliken was a moderate Republican who pursued an activist conservation and environmental agenda during his 14 years as governor from 1969 to 1983 before Michigan voters limited governors to serving two four-year terms. He also made high priorities of race relations and urban issues, and worked with Democrats.....

The former two-time lieutenant governor helped persuade voters to adopt Michigan’s 10-cent bottle deposit law in 1976 and won legal limits on phosphates in laundry detergent that had polluted Lake Erie in the 1970s.

In 1979, Milliken signed the Wetlands Protection Act, which created stricter guidelines for controlling water runoff from farming fields.
I remember him fondly. He cared about the land and the people.

I admit I do not recall ever hearing of this person before this thread, but from this, this Bill Milliken gentleman does sound as though he was a good man who did a lot of good political service. I especially appreciate the environmentalist ideals. The article says he lived to be 97 and apparently died in peace, thank God.

If only more Republicans and Democrats could be more "moderate", really.

Upvote 0