• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sacred formality vs. Casual atmosphere? Effects on worshipfulness?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by ~Anastasia~, Mar 4, 2014.

1. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+8,888
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    LOL!

I was too busy trying to figure out where to stand, what to do. That church had prostrations, metonias (?), and all KINDS of gymnastics going on, and I was flipping pages and watching people move around.

LOL I pictured someone popping antidoron into your open mouths like feeding little birds. ;)

2. CalmRon

CalmRon Senior Member

+63
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    *Late comer*
    For me it doesn't matter, I had been to one catholic mass and it didn't mean one whit to me, though it was a different matter for the parishioners, most of my experience was in Baptist churches which ran the gamut from' insanely formal' to 'how is this a church meeting?' The formal attempted to make me wear a suit and tie which I do not own and that relationship didn't last very long; not to mention the very dry sermons. Another church was set up by a friend in an old store front but had zero experience running a church building, service was very informal and I still found the sermons essentially meaningless . My basic issue is with substance ratger than the form and order of the services.

3. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+8,888
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I can relate to some of that. And I do find substance to be important, of course. I was only just seeing new forms of this type, and gave come to understand what I valued in them (and still do).

Substance is another issue. The Orthodox Church (where I am attending now) very much has substance, but does not deliver that much of it in sermon form, as I'm used to getting it. Fortunately I'm versatile, as long as I get it.

But outside of the liturgical churches (or those that at least have some tie to them), I see nothing of these kinds of forms. It does tend to focus on music style, formality or casualness of dress, and of activity. I've been at VERY formal Baptist churches too, as well as casual ones, but not as casual as you describe. But I've been in other very casual meetings - just not Baptist ones.

What I do remember from my Baptist days is that their strength was often in their sermons. I doubt I would analyze them the same way now as I once did though. But if you can't relate to the sermon in a Baptist church, then you are probably left with not much other than fellowship? That would be a problem.

Have you found something that suited you better?