Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I can not seem to locate a thread about sabbath day. I posted a question on it...but its gone.
Anyway....Sabbath and church. Are Christians to rest on Saturday or Sunday?
Of course I was brought up in a family that observed Sunday as worship and church. I was brought up celebrating Christmas and easter...but thats a different post lol..im trying get away from manmade traditions. (That I have did all of my life)
So was I wrong my whole life, thinking Sunday was 7th day, and observing that as Sabbath?
Its not until I really started coming to Christian forums that I realized I may be wrong.
I guess I adopted the worldly Monday is first day of the week.
Please be nice...i just want to do whats right. :sorry:

The Israelites received a double portion of manna for the 7th day for 40 years in the wilderness, so they knew on which day God rested, they have been keeping it ever since, and the period of time that they have been keeping as the 7th day corresponds to between Friday at sundown and Saturday at sundown. Christ set a sinless example of how to obey God's law, including keeping the Sabbath holy in he did not hypocritically preach something other than what he practiced, and Christians are those who seek by faith to follow what he taught by word and by example.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Christians can rest on any day they want to. There is nothing in the new covenant or NT scripture post-cross that instructs any certain day as the Sabbath.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Christ is our Sabbath rest now.

The goal of disciple was to come under a rabbi's yoke and to learn from them how to obey the Mosaic Law. Jesus set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law, including keeping the Sabbath holy, and did not hypocritically preach something other than what he practiced, so that was his yoke that he was inviting people to come under and to learn from him. He was not inviting people to refuse to follow him. By saying that we would find rest for our souls, he was referencing Jeremiah 6:16-19, where the Mosaic Law is described as the good way where we will find rest for our souls.

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath:
Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

The Sabbath was one of many things that were shadows of things to come which means they would be fulfilled and replaced with something much greater.

If you look at verse 2:16 by itself, then it is ambiguous as to whether he was saying not to let anyone judge them for keeping God's holy days or for not keeping them, however, if we look at the surrounding context of what Paul described of the views of the people judging them and keep in mind the theme that we must obey God rather than man, then it becomes clear. In Colossians 2:20-23, they were teaching human precepts and traditions, self-made religion, asceticism, and severity to the body, so they were being judged by pagans, which means that they were being judged because they were keeping God's holy days in obedience to God's commands in accordance with Christ's example, and Paul was encouraging them not to let anyone judge them and keep them from obeying God.

The OT is full of important foreshadows that teach us about God and His plan of redemption. The light of Christ brings full substance to these foreshadows so that we can fully see what God was teaching us through them, which make them all the more important to continue to observe in remembrance of him. For example, in 1 Corinthians 5:6-8, Paul spoke in regard to how Passover foreshadowed Christ by drawing the connection of him being our Passover Lamb, however, instead of concluding that we no longer need to bother keeping Passover, he concluded that we should therefore continue to keep it. The foreshadows testify about Christ, and as his followers we should seek to live in a way that testifies of Christ. A fractal pattern is structurally the same and small and large scales, so we must structure every aspect of our lives in a way that foreshadows the heavenly pattern.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Here's something to consider: It is said that there are tens of thousands of Christian denominations, but only several hold to Saturday worship and denounce the practice of the rest of them for their worship on Sunday. Yet all of those which do have Sunday worship instead of Saturday worship base their belief and practice on the Bible!

Even the Catholic media say this about that matter:

"However, passages of Scripture such as Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:2, Colossians 2:16-17, and Revelation 1:10 indicate that, even during New Testament times, the Sabbath is no longer binding and that Christians are to worship on the Lord’s day, Sunday, instead."
(source: Catholic Answers)

In Acts 20:7, it is important to keep in mind that for Jews the day started at sundown, so a meeting on the first day of the week would have began on what we would refer to as Saturday at sundown. Jews have a longstanding tradition of meeting on the first day of the week for a Havdalah service on Saturday at sundown to mark the closing of the Sabbath and to welcome in the work week. Jews also traditionally didn't handle money on the Sabbath, so this was also a time when they would collect offerings (1 Corinthians 16:2). So Paul spoke from evening until midnight, not from morning until midnight, and then left on Sunday morning to travel. This does not establish that they met on Sunday morning, and even if they had, it wouldn't establish that this was the start of a new tradition, and even if it was, it wouldn't establish that they hypocritically set aside God's command to keep the Sabbath in order to establish their own tradition, and even if they had, it wouldn't establish that we should follow in their example of sin.

If you look at Colossians 2:16 by itself, then it is ambiguous as to whether he was saying not to let anyone judge them for keeping God's holy days or for not keeping them, however, if we look at the surrounding context of what Paul described of the views of the people judging them and keep in mind the theme that we must obey God rather than man, then it becomes clear. In Colossians 2:20-23, they were teaching human precepts and traditions, self-made religion, asceticism, and severity to the body, so they were being judged by pagans, which means that they were being judged because they were keeping God's holy days in obedience to God's commands in accordance with Christ's example, and Paul was encouraging them not to let anyone judge them and keep them from obeying God.

The day of the Lord has a specific meaning in Jewish eschatology that refers to the day that John was seeing in his vision, not to the day of the week that he happened to have his vision. However, even it it were referring to a day of the week, it wouldn't mean that we should hypocritically set aside God's command to keep the 7th day holy in order to establish a tradition of honoring that day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Littlek
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What does the church, that is the group of believers you meet with, do?
Do they worship on Sunday or some other day?

God isn't bothered whether you worship him on Saturday, Sunday or any other day so long as you do.

Jesus told us that we are to worship in Spirit and in Truth, where ever we are, in a church building, a school hall, someone's front room where ever.
Meet your local Christians and together worship and serve God.

If it didn't matter to God which day we set aside as long as we set aside a day to worship Him once a week, then God could have commanded that, but rather He command to keep the 7th day holy. The command to keep the 7th day holy is not the command to only worship God on the 7th day. I see no indication that God permitted the Israelites to pick whatever day they wanted, but rather they kept it together as a community in unity.

The Spirit has the role of leading us in truth (John 16:13), the S pirit has the role of leading us to obey God's law (Ezekiel 36:26-27), and God's law is truth (Psalms 119:142), and in Jesus is the same truth because He is the living embodiment of the law (John 14:6), so we can't worship God in Spirit and in Truth by opposing the Spirit and Truth. In 2 Timothy 3:8, those who oppose Moses also oppose the truth, being of corrupted minds, and disqualified from the faith.

Two things,
The words of Jesus about worshipping in spirit and in truth and col 2:16+17

We are saved not because we worship on a particular day but by who we worship.

Jesus saves not Saturday or Sunday church attendance.

In Romans 1:5, we have received grace in order to bring about the obedience of faith, so we do not earn our salvation by our obedience, but rather the same grace and faith by which we are saved is also expressed as obedience. Likewise, in Psalms 119:29, David wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and in Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so God teaching us to obey His law is itself part of the content of God's free gift of salvation. Our salvation is from sin and sin is disobedience to God's law (1 John 3:4), so being trained by grace to live in obedience to God's law through faith is what being saved from living in disobedience to God's law looks like, and this is the salvation that Jesus brings to us, which includes bring trained by grace to keep the Sabbath holy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In Acts 20:7, it is important to keep in mind that for Jews the day started at sundown, so a meeting on the first day of the week would have began on what we would refer to as Saturday at sundown.
...which is the reason that the Roman Catholic Church a few years ago instituted a Mass for members late on Saturday afternoon and deemed sufficient it to fulfill their "Sunday Obligation." In other words, this is an acknowledgement that SATURDAY is considered to be the Sabbath even while the principle day of worship is the Lord's Day (Sunday), and that's in spite of the claims of most Sabbatarians that "the Catholic Church moved the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday."

So Paul spoke from evening until midnight, not from morning until midnight, and then left on Sunday morning to travel. This does not establish that they met on Sunday morning, and even if they had, it wouldn't establish that this was the start of a new tradition, and even if it was, it wouldn't establish that they hypocritically set aside God's command to keep the Sabbath in order to establish their own tradition,
...which I have just shown to be a false charge. Saturday is still the Sabbath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Sabbath or "Shabbat", is Saturday.
So, if you are an Old Testament Jew, who is under the law, then rest on Saturday a little over 2000 yrs ago.
If you are a New Testament Christian, who has been "redeemed from the Curse of the Law", and are now "no longer under the Law, but UNDER GRACE"...
Then dont worry about days, feasts, seasons, penance, or trying to keep yourself saved.
Instead, Live your life for the Lord, worship God in sustained awe, and do not meet Jesus having never lead anyone to Christ.

In Isaiah 56:1-8, keeping the Sabbath holy is not just for Jews, but also for Gentiles. The way to act in accordance with God's righteousness is straightforwardly based on God's righteousness, not on any particular covenant, and God's righteousness is eternal, so any instructions that God has ever given are eternally valid regardless of which covenant is under, if any. As part of the New Covenant, those who do not follow those instructions in obedience to God's law are not children of God (1 John 3:10). Likewise, sin was in the world before the law was given (Romans 5:13), so there were no actions that became or ceased being righteous or sinful when the Mosaic Covenant was made or became obsolete, but rather the law revealed what has always been and will always be the way to do that.

In Deuteronomy 28:1-14, it describes the blessing of living in obedience to the law, while verses 15-68 describe the curse of living in disobedience to the law, so the law itself was not a curse, but rather it was given to teach us how to live in a way that God will bless, and being redeemed from the curse of the law is being set free to enjoy the blessing of living in obedience to it. In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to redeem us from the law, but in order to redeem us from all lawlessness.

In Romans 6:14, Paul described the law that we are not under as being a law where sin had dominion over us, which does not describe God's holy, righteous, and good law, especially because Romans 7:7 says that it is not sinful, but rather it is the law of sin where sin had dominion over us. In Romans 6:15, being under grace does not mean that we are permitted to sin, and sin is disobedience to God's law (1 John 3:4), so we are still under God's law. Furthermore, everything else in Romans 6 speaks in favor of obedience to God and against sin, so 6:14 should not be interpreted as speaking against obeying what God has commanded.

In Psalms 119:29, David wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law and in Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, which is what God's law was given to instruct how to do, so being trained by grace to obey God's law is itself part of the content of God's free gift of salvation, and participating in that training has nothing to do with trying to earn our salvation, but rather that is what it looks like to receive it. Our salvation is from sin and sin is disobedience to God's law, so being trained by grace to live in obedience to God's law through faith is what being saved from living in disobedience to God's law looks like. God's law is His instructions for how to live our life for Him, for how to worship Him, and for how to lead people to Christ, who is the living embodiment of the law.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
...which is the reason that the Roman Catholic Church a few years ago instituted a Mass for members late on Saturday afternoon and deemed sufficient it to fulfill their "Sunday Obligation." In other words, this is an acknowledgement that SATURDAY is considered to be the Sabbath even while the principle day of worship is the Lord's Day (Sunday), and that's in spite of the claims of most Sabbatarians that "the Catholic Church moved the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday."

...which I have just shown to be a false charge. Saturday is still the Sabbath.

Thank you, I had not heard of that, do you have more information about this?

In Mark 7:6-9, Jesus criticized the Pharisees as being hypocrites for setting aside the commands of God in order to establish their own traditions, so the problem has never been with someone following their tradition of worshiping on Sunday in addition to obeying God's command to keep the 7th day Sabbath holy, but with them worshiping on Sunday instead of obeying God's command to keep the Sabbath holy. While Catholics have affirmed that Saturday is the Sabbath, they have for centuries substituted Sunday for Saturday, which still comes under the same type of criticism that Jesus had of the Pharisees.

Keeping the Sabbath holy is not just about attending a service, so while it is a good step in recent years for Catholics to allow that as being sufficient to meet their Sunday obligation, there are still further steps that should be taken. Furthermore, while it is good to worship on Sunday, that does not meet their Saturday obligation.

The reason is given in Eucharisticum Mysterium (May 25, 1967) is:

28. Anticipating the Sunday and Feast Day Masses on the Previous Evening

Where permission has been granted by the Apostolic See to fulfill the Sunday obligation on the preceding Saturday evening, pastors should explain the meaning of this permission carefully to the faithful and should ensure that the significance of Sunday is not thereby obscured. The purpose of this concession is in fact to enable the Christians of today to celebrate more easily the day of the resurrection of the Lord.

From this, it does not appear that Saturday Mass is acknowledging that Saturday is to be considered the Sabbath, but rather it to make easier to meet their Sunday obligation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great advice.
I have only led some of my family to christ...esp my children. (Most of my family already know christ) I guess that's where I am at fault..I stay home from a disability and a big introvert/shy. So do I go out in the public and walk around and tell people about Jesus..no. BUT if I come across someone that needs help (spiritual) I will share the gospel.

God bless you for having the right concerns and the right focus.

Listen, first of all, its God's responsibility to do the saving. Its only our call to be the arrow that points to "the Way"..... John 14:6
Jesus is THE Light and we are born again Lights who are translating His Light of Grace and Truth, into the DARK WORLD of unbelief.
Just as Jesus is the true vine and we are the branches, so also Jesus is THE Light and we the born again are the reflectors of HIS Light. (Children OF THE Light).
Im an evangelist who has a gift for teaching the fundamentals regarding the Grace of God, as that has to be so, to be a called evangelist. As its that specific teaching, that burden to impart "justification by faith", that inner revelation to be sending out this message of the specific Mercy of God, that IS the Call to this office.
A Pastor has the spirit of the Shepherd, and an evangelist has the spirit of Paul. They are a focused fire who are obsessed with "the preaching of the Cross", and so forth.
A Pastor wants to hug you into the family of God and an Evangelist wants to make you SEE the LIGHT..
Evangelists on a forum, will be perceived to be pushy, too direct, forceful, in your face.... as that is the anointing. That's how it manifests the ministry. There is no such thing as a "laid back" evangelist.
Thats a Pastor.

Listen, you and me....we can't save anyone. We have no responsibility in this regard so never feel condemned about it. Its only God who can impart the = "faith is counted as Righteousness" born again Mercy that uses the Blood Atonement ALONE to redeem a person from the curse of the Law and New Birth them INTO Christ, which is to exist in eternal spiritual union with God and Christ.

What we do is our best, no matter what that looks like in life.

We plant seeds. God does the rest.
Seeding is our job......= Harvesting is God's Job.

B

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, I had not heard of that, do you have more information about this?
I am not sure what information you have in mind there. If it's that the Catholic Church, which is blamed for moving the Sabbath but actually did not do that, I think that the website Catholic Answers has a page or reply that deals with it.

Keeping the Sabbath holy is not just about attending a service, so while it is a good step in recent years for Catholics to allow that as being sufficient to meet their Sunday obligation, there are still further steps that should be taken. Furthermore, while it is good to worship on Sunday, that does not meet their Saturday obligation.
Understood, but it still makes the claim that the church moved the day from Saturday to Sunday--or changed the day that is considered to be the Sabbath--a false one.

From this, it does not appear that Saturday Mass is acknowledging that Saturday is to be considered the Sabbath, but rather it to make easier to meet their Sunday obligation.
The rationale is that if that service is held during the Sabbath, that takes care of the worship aspect of the Sabbath (and therefore, what is commonly called the "Sunday Obligation" in the Roman Church). You can see that if, say, a midweek service on, for example, Wednesday were said to be good enough to meet the weekly worship obligation, that wouldn't have any logical basis behind it at all.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If it didn't matter to God which day we set aside as long as we set aside a day to worship Him once a week, then God could have commanded that, but rather He command to keep the 7th day holy. The command to keep the 7th day holy is not the command to only worship God on the 7th day. I see no indication that God permitted the Israelites to pick whatever day they wanted, but rather they kept it together as a community in unity.

The Spirit has the role of leading us in truth (John 16:13), the S pirit has the role of leading us to obey God's law (Ezekiel 36:26-27), and God's law is truth (Psalms 119:142), and in Jesus is the same truth because He is the living embodiment of the law (John 14:6), so we can't worship God in Spirit and in Truth by opposing the Spirit and Truth. In 2 Timothy 3:8, those who oppose Moses also oppose the truth, being of corrupted minds, and disqualified from the faith.

In Romans 1:5, we have received grace in order to bring about the obedience of faith, so we do not earn our salvation by our obedience, but rather the same grace and faith by which we are saved is also expressed as obedience. Likewise, in Psalms 119:29, David wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and in Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so God teaching us to obey His law is itself part of the content of God's free gift of salvation. Our salvation is from sin and sin is disobedience to God's law (1 John 3:4), so being trained by grace to live in obedience to God's law through faith is what being saved from living in disobedience to God's law looks like, and this is the salvation that Jesus brings to us, which includes bring trained by grace to keep the Sabbath holy.

Yes worshipping on the Sabbath is for more important than having saving faith in Jesus or in obeying any other command.
We must worship on the Sabbath.

Are you happy?

It is faith in Jesus that saves us not whether we do or do not meet on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yes worshipping on the Sabbath is for more important than having saving faith in Jesus or in obeying any other command.
We must worship on the Sabbath.

Are you happy?

It is faith in Jesus that saves us not whether we do or do not meet on the Sabbath.

I said nothing to suggest that, so why would that make me happy?

I completely agree that it is faith in Jesus that saves us. Obedience to any set of instructions that are for our own good is about putting our faith in the one who gave them, which is why Jesus said in Matthew 23:23 that faith is one of the weightier matters of the law, so obedience to the law is what faith in Jesus looks like. Only those who have faith in God to guide us in how to rightly live will obey his law and will be justified by the same faith, which is why Paul said in Romans 2:13 that only doers of the law will be justified, but did not say that we earn our justification by obeying the law. What we believe is expressed through our actions, which is why James 2:17-18 says that faith without works is dead and that he would show his faith by his works, so again obedience to God is what faith looks like. In Romans 3:31, our faith upholds God's law. In Revelation 14:12 and John 3:36, keeping God's commandments is equated with keeping faith in Jesus. In Galatians 3:11-12, Paul associated a quote from Habakkuk 2:4 with a quote from Leviticus 18:5, so the righteous who are living by faith are the same as the ones who are living in obedience to God's law. God is trustworthy, so His law therefore is also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7, Nehemiah 9:13) and a law that isn't trustworthy can't come from a God who is trustworthy, so we can confidently rely on God's law to guide us in how to rightly live, and by putting our faith in God's law we are putting our faith in God. So keeping the Sabbath holy is part of what faith in Christ looks like.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can not seem to locate a thread about sabbath day. I posted a question on it...but its gone.
Of course I was brought up in a family that observed Sunday as worship and church. I was brought up celebrating Christmas and easter...but thats a different post lol..im trying get away from manmade traditions. (That I have did all of my life)
So was I wrong my whole life, thinking Sunday was 7th day, and observing that as Sabbath?
Its not until I really started coming to Christian forums that I realized I may be wrong.

Don't get hung up on what day to rest. For that is essentially what the sabbath was for.

Exo 16:23 he told them that the LORD had said, "Tomorrow is the Sabbath, a sacred day of rest in honor of me. So gather all you want to bake or boil, and make sure you save enough for tomorrow."

The new Testament goes even further to say, don't let any one tell you you must celebrate a certain Sabbath.

Col 2:16 Don't let anyone tell you what you must eat or drink. Don't let them say that you must celebrate the New Moon festival, the Sabbath, or any other festival.

Although it is good to celebrate the Sabbath day, not all Christian's celebrate it strictly. It is certainly not something that will effect your salvation status, you are saved by Christ, not by observing the Sabbath day.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Obedience to any set of instructions that are for our own good is about putting our faith in the one who gave them,

As you have acknowledged salvation is through faith in Jesus.
Add that to the statement by Jesus, that we are to worship, not at the temple, nor on any mountain, but in Spirit and in Truth.
Paul drove this home saying don't let anyone judge you about worshipping on a Sabbath, or new moon festival etc

We worship God on a day and at a time that it is possible to do so. Early Christians met before the sunrise, today many meet in secret.

We are not bound by Saturday or by Sunday we can worship on any day.

I'll make two points. If you insist on the Sabbath then you Must also insist on the other commandments being kept as faithfully as you insist on the Sabbath.

Jesus gave us a command to obey him is to love God with all our being and to love others as we love ourselves.

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The Spirit has the role of leading us in truth (John 16:13), the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey God's law (Ezekiel 36:26-27), and God's law is truth (Psalms 119:142), and Jesus is the same truth because he is the living embodiment of the law (John 14:6). In 2 Timothy 3:8, those who oppose Moses also oppose the truth, being of corrupted minds, and disqualified in regard to the faith. In Romans 8:4-7, those who walk in the Spirit are contrasted with those who have minds set on the flesh, who are enemies of God, who refuse to submit to God's law. In Galatians 5:19-22, everything listed as works of the flesh that are against the Spirit are also against the Mosaic Law, while all of the fruits of the Spirit are in accordance with it. After all, the Mosaic Law was given by God and the Spirit is God, so it is the Law of the Spirit, and obedience to it by the power of the Spirit is what it looks like to worship in Spirit and in Truth.

In Colossians 2:16-23, Paul described the people who were judging them as teaching human traditions and precepts, self-made religion, asceticism, and severity to the body, so they were being judged by pagans. This means that the Colossians were keeping God's holy days in obedience to His commands in accordance with the example that Christ set for us to follow and Paul was encouraging them not to let any man judge them and keep them from obeying God.

The command to keep the 7th day holy is not the command to only worship God on the 7th day, so we should worship God on every day in addition obeying His command to keep the 7th day holy. We can't worship God by disobeying His commands.

Indeed, followers of God should follow God's laws in accordance with the example that Christ set for us to follow by the leading of the Spirit, not just the Sabbath.

In Matthew 22:36-40, Jesus was not asked to give His own commands or about which were the only commandments that we should follow, but rather he was asked about which was the greatest commandment, and the existence of the greatest two commandments implies that there are still other commandments that are not the greatest. All of the commandments given by God are examples of what it looks like to love Him and our neighbor, which is why Jesus said those were the greatest two commandments and that all of the other commandments hang on them. For example, obedience to the command to help the poor looks like obedience to the command to love our neighbor, so the command to love does not replace the other commandments, but rather it is the essence of them. The greatest two commandments are a lot easier said than done, so thankfully God gave us all of the other commandments to paint us a picture of what that looks like. So there would be no difference between someone who obeyed the greatest two commandments and someone who obeyed the Mosaic Law because they would both looks like the same example that Jesus set for us to follow.

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Christ did not come to change the Sabbath day, the Moral Law(ten commandments) was not done away or finished like the Mosaic law was. The Mosaic Law was Nailed to the Cross(Colossians 2:14) but the Ten commandments were not a Part of this law, they are God's eternal law and the Sabbath day is not excluded from this. We see the Sabbath being kept and the Day being Sanctified at the beginning(Genesis 2:2-3), we know that the Sabbath day was created for us at that time, Christ himself being Lord of the Sabbath day(Mark 2:27-28), and we also see the Sabbath day being kept in the New heavens and the New earth to come(Isaiah 66:23). Now Paul himself teaches us that we should fear if that promise of entering the Lord's day of rest has left us. He tells us it IS the seventh day that the Lord limited and set aside for us, the Seventh day Sabbath was sanctified for us at creation, he tells us that the Sabbath day still remains to us. He also explains that if it was that Christ came to give us another DAY of rest then he would have spoken of another day, but no day was ever commanded, mentioned, or spoken of by the Lord. If the Lord of the Sabbath day has not given us another day of rest, then it is clear that the Sabbath day,the seventh day, still remains for us to enter into out of faith and love for God.
Hebrews 4:
1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

I hope this helps,
Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums