Sabbath School Lesson # 9

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
"Talk to him about 'moderation in all things.' If you can once get him to the point of thinking that 'religion is all very well up to a point,' you can feel quite happy about his soul. A moderated religion is as good for us as no religion at all—and more amusing."—C. S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters (San Francisco: Harper, 2001), p. 46.

The above is a direct quote from Sabbath afteroon section of Lesson # 9

I am wondering if any has any objection to that quote from Lewis being used in the Sabbath School Lesson.

After going through the Lesson and its study on Sabbath I have now found out that there are more than just a few in the Adventist Church that objects to quotes from Lewis and others being used in the Sabbath School Lesson pamphlet.

I do not think the quote is in any way wrong and see no harm in using it while others think that a quote from SOP would have been more appropiate to use.

I have no objection to using SOP but why can't we also use quotes from other Christian authors.

The main objection I gather from using Lewis is his work about Nania. I know nothing about that so am not able to make a comment on that issue.

Adventtruth

God is the Gospel!
Sep 7, 2006
Raliegh Durham North Carolina
✟18,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"Talk to him about 'moderation in all things.' If you can once get him to the point of thinking that 'religion is all very well up to a point,' you can feel quite happy about his soul. A moderated religion is as good for us as no religion at all—and more amusing."—C. S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters (San Francisco: Harper, 2001), p. 46.

I am wondering if any has any objection to that quote from Lewis being used in the Sabbath School Lesson.

After going through the Lesson and its study on Sabbath I have now found out that there are more than just a few in the Adventist Church that objects to quotes from Lewis and others being used in the Sabbath School Lesson pamphlet.

I do not think the quote is in any way wrong and see no harm in using it while others think that a quote from SOP would have been more appropiate to use.

I have no objection to using SOP but why can't we also use quotes from other Christian authors.

The main objection I gather from using Lewis is his work about Nania. I know nothing about that so am not able to make a comment on that issue.

One reason some may object to using others of other faiths is that many see them as being outsiders and of Babylon. Adventism teaches that Adventism is the remnant church and therefore if one is not of "her" then they are not in the true church.

Over the years I have seen other writers of other faiths quoted in the SS books. P.Yanzy...Lacado...Lewis and a few others.

Adventtruth

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Lewis was about as Christian as a Christian could get. Indeed he was a man of great integrity.

By the way, just to let you in on something that you might not be aware of, the quote that you gave in this post from Lewis is meant to encapsulate the objective of Satan. The book from which it comes is written from the point of view of Satan's objective and methodology of destroying everyone that God reaches out to: psychologically, spiritually, and emotionally. In other words, it's meant to be a wake up call to both Christians and unbelievers about the destructive tactics of the evil one. Hence, the thought in the quote is not something that is representative of what C.S. Lewis actually believed to be a virtue.

It helps to keep things in context.

Upvote 0

Dathen

Sep 21, 2006
✟1,682.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
There's nothing wrong with quoting a non Christian author to show a point. An interesting fact about C.F Lewis. Most people say he was a great Christian, and that all he wrote is good for Christians. (Narnia is but other stuff!!) What I find funny is that everyone says The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkiens isn't good it's wicked. The funny part is the Tolkien was a Christian and he is the one that converted Lewis to Christianity....

Upvote 0

Adventtruth

God is the Gospel!
Sep 7, 2006
Raliegh Durham North Carolina
✟18,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There's nothing wrong with quoting a non Christian author to show a point. An interesting fact about C.F Lewis. Most people say he was a great Christian, and that all he wrote is good for Christians. (Narnia is but other stuff!!) What I find funny is that everyone says The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkiens isn't good it's wicked. The funny part is the Tolkien was a Christian and he is the one that converted Lewis to Christianity....

Its C.S.Lewis not C.F.Lewis. Tolkines also told Lewis his Chronicles series was no good. BUt they where good friends. Lewis was a christian as a child and later gave up on christ all together only to become one of the great thinkers of his day. I have Mere Christianity, The four Loves , The Screw Tape Letters, Suprised By Joy, and a few other books.

While woob did say he was about as christian as a chistian could get, there are those who beg to differ...Lewis did smoke a pipe among other non christian things.

Adventtruth

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Adventtruth said:
While woob did say he was about as christian as a chistian could get, there are those who beg to differ...Lewis did smoke a pipe among other non christian things.

Adventtruth

I probably should have worded what I had said differently.

The point that I was making is that Lewis gave God his best according to what he knew. Thus a genuine Christian will seek to give his best to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
actually, I have a problem with the quote itself

am I the only one that finds something offensive about that?

Well, if you didn't put me on your ignore list you would see that post #4 puts the quote in its proper perspective.

Indeed we miss out on much when we ignore things.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, C S Lewis was heavy on the occultism, mythology and fantasy. Narnia was based his work 'Lion, witch and wardrobe'.

An atheist much of his life, later claimed to convert to christianity, he still believed in purgatory.

I'd have no problem quoting from non-christians for reference, but not for theological support.

Are you trying to suggest that C.S. Lewis wasn't a Christian?

Does the judgmentalism ever stop with you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not to offend. But the arguments never seem to stop with you woobs, OntheDL was just stating his opinion. Which we can do on CF, read the rules.

Just as he has a right to state his opinion I have a right to question it.

By the way, you can always put me on your ignore list if you don't like my posts.

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

the original question was about quoting from other christian authers.

My answer was I even quote from non-christians for reference.

I wasn't judging CS Lewis. But I probably won't quote from him for doctrinal support knowing the type of mystical books he wrote.

And even if I were judging him, you were judgmental to me. Aren't you guilty of the same that you accused me of?

Look, I'm trying to do myself a favor. Won't you help me?

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the original question was about quoting from other christian authers.

My answer was I even quote from non-christians for reference.

I wasn't judging CS Lewis. But I probably won't quote from him for doctrinal support knowing the type of mystical books he wrote.

And even if I were judging him, you were judgmental to me. Aren't you guilty of the same that you accused me of?

Look, I'm trying to do myself a favor. Won't you help me?

Who do you think you are dealing with here? Do you think I'm blind?

This is what you said:
An atheist much of his life, later claimed to convert to christianity, he still believed in purgatory

Claimed to convert to Christianity? The implication that you believe that he wasn't a real Christian is loud and clear!

After reading many of your posts it has become quite evident to me that unless people worship God just like you do they really aren't of God:sigh:

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
I had no idea this quote from Lewis would stir such emotions within our small group.

It was never my intention for us to get too upset over it.

I had always thought that Lewis had been regarded as a Christian, well some are not so sure but whatever the case in that. I see the quote as a stand alone quote and it comes to me without any baggage as to what Lewis was or was not.

I took the Lesson to mean that here we have a person who is not an SDA and that person is saying that if we have a religion that is only moderate (half hearted) then we in reality we do not have a religion at all.

If he can see that then we as SDA's should see it loud and clear.

I am wondering if you see it as that or is there something I have missed and others have picked up on it.

Upvote 0