Sabbath obligation for all mankind - according to the Bible and even some Sunday sources

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here's the Hebrew text -
2 וַיְכַ֤ל אֱלֹהִים֙ בַּיּ֣וֹם הַשְּׁבִיעִ֔י מְלַאכְתּ֖וֹ אֲשֶׁ֣ר עָשָׂ֑ה וַיִּשְׁבֹּת֙ בַּיּ֣וֹם הַשְּׁבִיעִ֔י
מִכָּל־ מְלַאכְתּ֖

Here is Strong's entry -

Original Word: שָׁבַת
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: shabath
Phonetic Spelling: (shaw-bath')
Definition: to cease, desist, rest

This is the word that appears in Gen 2:2 translated rested. Please note a single b. The word "shabbath" has 2 b's and is a noun.

It doesn't matter what the root word is. The fact is the word "shabbath" doesn't appear in Genesis.

Here is Strong's entry for sabbath -

shabbath: sabbath
Original Word: שַׁבָּת
Part of Speech: Noun
Transliteration: shabbath
Phonetic Spelling: (shab-bawth')
Definition: sabbath

Please note shabbath has a double b.

Copy both the original word of Hebrew for each. Place them on the same page in a browser. Zoom it out to say 200 and compare.

They're different words and parts of speech.

So Please show "shabbath" in Genesis.

Now brother AOH did you even read the post you are trying to respond to? If you read the post you were trying to respond to I never said that the HEBREW words for שׁבת; shâbath or REST (H7673) and שׁבּת; shabbâth (H7676) were the same now did I? If I never said the Hebrew words for REST and SABBATH were the same why try and pretend that I did? I posted them as separate words in the same context as KEEPING SABBATH REST EVERY SEVENTH DAY and the word REST in GENESIS 2 also means KEEPING OF THE SABBATH REST. Here is the post again, please read it slowly.

GENESIS 2:1-3 [1], Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [2], And ON THE SEVENTH DAY God ended his work which he had made; and he RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] on the SEVENTH DAY from all his work which he had made. [3], And GOD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY AND MADE IT HOLY: because that in it he had RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] from all his work which God created and made.

The Hebrew word for RESTED used here is שׁבת; shâbath (H7673). It's meaning is; to repose, that is, desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causatively, figuratively or specifically): - (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, KEEP SABBATH, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

שׁבת; shâbath or REST (H7673) is the ORIGIN or ROOT word for שׁבּת; shabbâth (H7676) which is used in God's 4th commandments translated into english as SABBATH. The HEBREW Word for shabbâth meaing is the intermission between SABBATHS or shâbath (H7673) REST or the continuation meaing from one SABBATH REST to the Next SABBATH REST continuation or EVERY SABBATH. It's application is in God's 4th commandment EXODUS 20:8 is to REMEMBER [EVERY] Sabbath [shabbâth H7676].

In the 4th commandment *EXODUS 20:8-11; v11 tells us the ORIGINS of God's 4th commandments Sabbath is in reference to GENESIS 2:1-3 and the reason why it is given as a memorial of Greation to whorship God as the creator of Heaven and Earth.

Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries w/TVM, Strong - H7673
REST
from GENESIS 2:1-3
שׁבת
shâbath
shaw-bath'
A primitive root; to REPOSE, that is, desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causatively, figuratively or specifically): - (cause to, let, make to) cease, CELEBRATE, cause (make) to fail, KEEP SABBATH, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) REST, rid, still, take away.

Can you see your error here brother?

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Gentiles specifically targeted for Sabbath keeping in Isaiah 56:6-8.
All mankind for Sabbath keeping in Isaiah 66:23
Gentiles keeping Sabbath "Sabbath after Sabbath" to hear gospel preaching in Acts 13
Gentiles keeping Sabbath "Sabbath after Sabbath" to hear gospel preaching in Acts 17
Gentiles keeping Sabbath "Sabbath after Sabbath" to hear gospel preaching in Acts 18 in fact in Acts 18:4 it is "every Sabbath" that both jews and gentiles gather in the synagogues and hear the Gospel

Attendance of religious activities isn't proof of keeping the sabbath.

It is for the Jews.
It is for the gentiles.

Details matter.

Also worthy of note is none of the above are Christians.

On the first Sabbath they are not-- but on the second Sabbath they are because they are accepting the Gospel already preached and asking that more Gospel details be presented "the next Sabbath". And why "the next Sabbath" and not "the next week-day-1" when it comes to "Gospel details"? Because the Gospel was not telling them to ignore the TEN Commandments.

Bible details matter.

Just saying "no to everything" is not the compelling solution that some have supposed it to be when it comes to these compelling Bible details.

Bob

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But that isn't Genesis.

GOD's 4th Commandment is refering to GENESIS 2:1-3 in EXODUS 20:8-11.

EXODUS 20:8-11 [8], REMEMBER THE SABBATH DAY, TO KEEP IT HOLY [Made Holy at creation GENESIS 2:3]. [9], Six days shall you labor, and do all your work: [10], But THE SEVENTH DAY [ Genesis 2:1-3] IS THE SABBATH OF THE LORD YOUR GOD : in it you shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger that is within your gates: [WHY?] [11], FOR IN SIX DAYS THE LORD MADE HEAVEN AND EARTH, THE SEA, AND ALL THAT IS IN THEM IS, AND RESTED THE SEVENTH DAY; WHEREFORE THE LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH DAY AND MADE IT HOLY. [Refering to GENESIS 2:1-3]

Not hard read the scripture. Look at the HEBREW WORD meanings again...

GENESIS 2:1-3 [1], Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [2], And ON THE SEVENTH DAY God ended his work which he had made; and he RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] on the SEVENTH DAY from all his work which he had made. [3], And GOD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY AND MADE IT HOLY: because that in it he had RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] from all his work which God created and made.

The Hebrew word for RESTED used here is שׁבת; shâbath (H7673). It's meaning is; to repose, that is, desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causatively, figuratively or specifically): - (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, KEEP SABBATH, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

שׁבת; shâbath or REST (H7673) is the ORIGIN or ROOT word for שׁבּת; shabbâth (H7676) which is used in God's 4th commandments translated into english as SABBATH. The HEBREW Word for shabbâth meaing is the intermission between SABBATHS or shâbath (H7673) REST or the continuation meaing from one SABBATH REST to the Next SABBATH REST continuation or EVERY SABBATH. It's application is in God's 4th commandment EXODUS 20:8 is to REMEMBER [EVERY] Sabbath [shabbâth H7676].

In the 4th commandment *EXODUS 20:8-11; v11 tells us the ORIGINS of God's 4th commandments Sabbath is in reference to GENESIS 2:1-3 and the reason why it is given as a memorial of Greation to whorship God as the creator of Heaven and Earth.

Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries w/TVM, Strong - H7673
REST from GENESIS 2:1-3
שׁבת
shâbath
shaw-bath'
A primitive root; to REPOSE, that is, desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causatively, figuratively or specifically): - (cause to, let, make to) cease, CELEBRATE, cause (make) to fail, KEEP SABBATH, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) REST, rid, still, take away.

Can you see your error here brother?

Last edited:
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But that isn't Genesis.

Its the New Testament where they were being taught that "ALL scripture is inspired by God AND to be used for Doctrine" 2 Tim 3:16 such that they "studied the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken by the Apostle Paul - were SO" Acts 17:11

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But that isn't Genesis.

It is God speaking and obviously referring to Genesis. Also, He said remember, obvious they already knew about the Lords Sabbath day as He said to keep (it already existed - the 7th day) it holy ... set apart. Look up the the word/phrase from Genesis in the Hebrew and it is this. So yes ... it is in Genesis.

shabath: to

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now brother AOH did you even read the post you are trying to respond to?
Yes I did. I also asked anyone to quote any verse in Genesis containing the word "shabbath."
If you read the post you were trying to respond to I never said that the HEBREW words for שׁבת; shâbath or REST (H7673) and שׁבּת; shabbâth (H7676) were the same now did I? If I never said the Hebrew words for REST and SABBATH were the same why try and pretend that I did? I posted them as separate words in the same context as KEEPING SABBATH REST EVERY SEVENTH DAY and the word REST in GENESIS 2 also means KEEPING OF THE SABBATH REST. Here is the post again, please read it slowly.
You're trying to sub in the word "shabbath" for the word "shabath" because they're related in form by Hebrew. So doing this your claiming the word "rested" is the word "shabbath" in Genesis. That simply isn't the case.

• Haha
Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is for the Jews.
It is for the gentiles.

Details matter.
Ex 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Both prove the sabbath is only for Israel.
On the first Sabbath they are not-- but on the second Sabbath they are because they are accepting the Gospel already preached and asking that more Gospel details be presented "the next Sabbath". And why "the next Sabbath" and not "the next week-day-1" when it comes to "Gospel details"? Because the Gospel was not telling them to ignore the TEN Commandments.
No because the rulers of the synagogue still have control. That's why the Christians were eventually kicked out of the synagogue.
Bible details matter.

Just saying "no to everything" is not the compelling solution that some have supposed it to be when it comes to these compelling Bible details.

Bob
I've not just said no. I've given reasonable commentary with passages. Yes Bible details matter.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its the New Testament where they were being taught that "ALL scripture is inspired by God AND to be used for Doctrine" 2 Tim 3:16 such that they "studied the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken by the Apostle Paul - were SO" Acts 17:11
Doesn't place the word "shabbath" in Gen 2.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes I did. I also asked anyone to quote any verse in Genesis containing the word "shabbath." .

Let's ask God Himself to quote any detail in the Genesis account of creation that uses the term "Sabbath" and tells us that then - at creation week - God made the Sabbath a holy day and that this be sooo incredibly obvious that both Sunday and Bible-Sabbath groups fully accept that the Sabbath commandment was fully applicable to mankind in Eden.

Ex 20
11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

A direct reference to Gen 2:1-3 by God Himself - writing in stone.

Gen 2
Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts. 2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

An obvious "Bible detail" that is soooo incredibly obvious that BOTH the Sunday and the Bible-Sabbath groups affirm it.

Genesis 1-2:3 we see the "MAKING" of BOTH the Bible Sabbath AND mankind. How interesting that in Mark 2:27 Christ speaks of the MAKING of BOTH the Sabbath AND of mankind when He said the "Sabbath was MADE for mankind and not mankind MADE for the Sabbath". It is a blessing for mankind and we see the making of both - in Genesis 1-2.
==================================== as we see here

I am glad these Sunday sources all affirm the Ten Commandments for Christians.

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism. :groupray:

And of course 7th day groups

Seventh-day Baptists
Seventh-day Adventists
(and 100's of others)
=====================================

Of course many here will freely admit that the Bible-Sabbath groups cannot use "any 'ol excuse will do" to ignore these Bible details. But what about the Sunday groups? Well as we see they do not use that either. BOTH groups paying attention to certain key Bible details so incredibly obvious to the Christians in both groups.

It just does not get any easier than this!!

Praising God today for the "easy part". Very nice to have!

I don't care what you think religious people and organizations say and intend to mean. .

Nor what God says in His own reference to Genesis 2:1-3 as found in the actual Commandment in Ex 20:11? How "instructive" for the unbiased objective reader.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is God speaking and obviously referring to Genesis. Also, He said remember, obvious they already knew about the Lords Sabbath day as He said to keep (it already existed - the 7th day) it holy ... set apart. Look up the the word/phrase from Genesis in the Hebrew and it is this. So yes ... it is in Genesis.

shabath: to
There's no text in Genesis with the word "shabbath."

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let's ask God Himself to quote any detail in the Genesis account of creation that uses the term "Sabbath" and tells us that then - at creation week - God make the Sabbath a holy day and that this be sooo incredibly obvious that both Sunday and Bible-Sabbath groups fully accept that the Sabbath commandment was fully applicable to mankind in Eden.

Ex 20
11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Gen 2
Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts. 2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

An obvious "Bible detail" that is soooo incredibly obvious that BOTH the Sunday and the Bible-Sabbath groups affirm it.
I take the Scripture as God speaking. God didn't use the word "shabbath" in Genesis. I don't care what you think religious people and organizations say and intend to mean. By practice they deny your meaning of their words.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There's no text in Genesis with the word "shabbath."

Since you are repeating yourself....

=========================================================

Yes I did. I also asked anyone to quote any verse in Genesis containing the word "shabbath." .

Let's ask God Himself to quote any detail in the Genesis account of creation that uses the term "Sabbath" and tells us that then - at creation week - God made the Sabbath a holy day and that this be sooo incredibly obvious that both Sunday and Bible-Sabbath groups fully accept that the Sabbath commandment was fully applicable to mankind in Eden.

Ex 20

Gen 2

Genesis 1-2:3 we see the "MAKING" of BOTH the Bible Sabbath AND mankind. How interesting that in Mark 2:27 Christ speaks of the MAKING of BOTH the Sabbath AND of mankind when He said the "Sabbath was MADE for mankind and not mankind MADE for the Sabbath". It is a blessing for mankind and we see the making of both - in Genesis 1-2.

D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson

Seventh-day Baptists
Seventh-day Adventists
(and 100's of others)

Of course many here will freely admit that the Bible-Sabbath groups cannot use "any 'ol excuse will do" to ignore these Bible details. But what about the Sunday groups? Well as we see they do not use that either. BOTH groups paying attention to certain key Bible details so incredibly obvious to the Christians in both groups.

I don't care what you think religious people and organizations say and intend to mean. .

Nor what God says in His own reference to Genesis 2:1-3 as found in the actual Commandment in Ex 20:11? How "instructive" for the unbiased objective reader.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Gentiles specifically targeted for Sabbath keeping in Isaiah 56:6-8.
All mankind for Sabbath keeping in Isaiah 66:23
Gentiles keeping Sabbath "Sabbath after Sabbath" to hear gospel preaching in Acts 13
Gentiles keeping Sabbath "Sabbath after Sabbath" to hear gospel preaching in Acts 17
Gentiles keeping Sabbath "Sabbath after Sabbath" to hear gospel preaching in Acts 18 in fact in Acts 18:4 it is "every Sabbath" that both jews and gentiles gather in the synagogues and hear the Gospel

Attendance of religious activities isn't proof of keeping the sabbath.

It is for the Jews.
It is for the gentiles.

Details matter.

Also worthy of note is none of the above are Christians.

Bible details matter.

Ex 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

Indeed. Just as Jer 31:31-33 says the NEW COVENANT is for "The house of Israel and the house of Judah".

No wonder then that even the pro-Sunday groups freely admit that the TEN Commandments are included in the MORAL LAW of God written on the heart under the NEW Covenant.

"For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly - but he is a Jew who is one inwardly and circumcision is of the heart by the Holy Spirit" Romans 2

Bible details matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since you are repeating yourself....

=========================================================

Ex 20

Gen 2

D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson

Seventh-day Baptists
Seventh-day Adventists
(and 100's of others)

Talk about repeating yourself. Your only point is to quiet all that disagree with you.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Talk about repeating yourself. Your only point is to quiet all that disagree with you.

Far be it from me to quiet anyone. My point is to contrast what the Bible actually says with what some folks post.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just c&p repetition already responded to.

interesting that the OP details are so "irrefutable" that you cannot bring yourself in those two posts to address a single point raised... not even one.

how "instructive" for the unbiased objective Bible student

Upvote 0