Sabbath obligation for all mankind - according to the Bible and even some Sunday sources

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
See that's the catch. You can't worship and rest at the same time. That's why Sunday worship is so great. You are well rested and attentive from keeping the Sabbath of rest the day before.
I call it the "blob out" Saturday. So I do keep the Sabbath because it is designed as a day of rest. I go to church and worship on a Sunday.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I call it the "blob out" Saturday. So I do keep the Sabbath because it is designed as a day of rest. I go to church and worship on a Sunday.

My vice is spending probably too much time on the CF on the Sabbath (I'll have to repent of that).

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My vice is spending probably too much time on the CF on the Sabbath (I'll have to repent of that).
I spend much of Saturday viewing Youtube, stroking the cats, or reading. I look out and see that my shrubs need trimming especially the hedge alongside the drive which rubs up against my car now. My job is the dishes which sometimes are such that I am certain that we have been visited by the New Zealand army! I go to the gym with my wife and I do around 6000 metres on the rowing machine. Good grief! I have a lot to repent of! :)

Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So what do you think should happen to those who observe Sunday as their day of worship and rest instead of Saturday?

Many do so out of ignorance. In times of ignorance God winks at but when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth comes calls all men everywhere to repent *ACTS 17:30-31. God's 4th commandment is one of the 10 commandments *EXODUS 20:8-11 that give us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTOUESNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172.

JAMES 2:10-11 says if we break any one of God's 10 Commandments we stand guilty before God of SIN. God's WORD says that all those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will not enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23; HEBREWS 10:26-27.

The test is who do we believe and follow? Is it God's WORD or the teachings and traditions of men that lead others to break the commandments of God? JESUS says those who KNOWINGLY follow the teachings and traditions of men are not following God *MATTHEW 15:3-9.

Only God's WORD is true and we should believe and follow it as we are told in the scriptures. *ROMANS 3:4; ACTS 5:29

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Many do so out of ignorance. In times of ignorance God winks at but when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth comes calls all men everywhere to repent *ACTS 17:30-31. God's 4th commandment is one of the 10 commandments *EXODUS 20:8-11 that give us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTOUESNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172.

JAMES 2:10-11 says if we break any one of God's 10 Commandments we stand guilty before God of SIN. God's WORD says that all those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will not enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23; HEBREWS 10:26-27.

The test is who do we believe and follow? Is it God's WORD or the teachings and traditions of men that lead others to break the commandments of God? JESUS says those who KNOWINGLY follow the teachings and traditions of men are not following God *MATTHEW 15:3-9.

Only God's WORD is true and we should believe and follow it as we are told in the scriptures. *ROMANS 3:4; ACTS 5:29
So, if you met up with a Christian believer who went to church on Sunday instead of Saturday, you would tell him that he is not a real Christian and that he will be going to hell?

I viewed a good preacher, Pastor Johnson of an SDA church in Oakland California who clearly stated that people who discriminate against other believers in that way are nothing but Christian bullies and who try and take a speck out of the other person's eye when they have a great 4X2 in their own! He specifically mentioned those who tell Sunday believers that they are not real Christians and who are disobeying the Lord and who are going to hell and not to heaven.

So, I don't believe that your view is the official view of the SDA church.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So, if you met up with a Christian believer who went to church on Sunday instead of Saturday, you would tell him that he is not a real Christian and that he will be going to hell?

I viewed a good preacher, Pastor Johnson of an SDA church in Oakland California who clearly stated that people who discriminate against other believers in that way are nothing but Christian bullies and who try and take a speck out of the other person's eye when they have a great 4X2 in their own! He specifically mentioned those who tell Sunday believers that they are not real Christians and who are disobeying the Lord and who are going to hell and not to heaven.

So, I don't believe that your view is the official view of the SDA church.

Nope! Please read the post and the scriptures in it you are trying to respond to. It seems you haven't. God has his people in every Church. Your post is making claims and arguments no one claiming or arguing about. If your claims and arguments are not mine then why pretend that they are? My view is God's WORD. It is God's WORD that I share. God's WORD is not my words but God's. Only God's WORD is true and we should believe and follow it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God. JESUS says those who knowingly follow the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God are not following God *MATTHEW 15:3-9 not me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I spend much of Saturday viewing Youtube, stroking the cats, or reading. I look out and see that my shrubs need trimming especially the hedge alongside the drive which rubs up against my car now. My job is the dishes which sometimes are such that I am certain that we have been visited by the New Zealand army! I go to the gym with my wife and I do around 6000 metres on the rowing machine. Good grief! I have a lot to repent of! :)

Yes, yes you do. :preach:

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Council of Laodicea, 365 AD, Canon 29:

Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.

Certainly there is some interesting man-made-tradition out there. I like the way Jesus addresses this in Mark 7:6-13

But my point in the OP is that there are certain Bible details that are soooo incredibly obvious BOTH the Bible Sabbath AND the Sunday groups agree to them.

====================== common ground

========================

Westminster Confession of Faith

Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter XIX
Of the Law of God
I. God gave to Adam a law, as a covenant of works, by which he bound him and all his posterity, to personal, entire, exact, and perpetual obedience, promised life upon the fulfilling, and threatened death upon the breach of it, and endued him with power and ability to keep it.[1]

II. This law, after his fall, continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness; and, as such, was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai, in Ten Commandments, and written in two tables:[2] the first four commandments containing our duty towards God; and the other six, our duty to man.[3]

III. Besides this law, commonly called moral, God was pleased to give to the people of Israel, as a church under age, ceremonial laws, containing several typical ordinances, partly of worship, prefiguring Christ, his graces, actions, sufferings, and benefits;[4] and partly, holding forth divers instructions of moral duties.[5] All which ceremonial laws are now abrogated, under the New Testament.[6]

IV. To them also, as a body politic, he gave sundry judicial laws, which expired together with the State of that people; not obliging under any now, further than the general equity thereof may require.[7]

V. The moral law does forever bind all, as well justified persons as others, to the obedience thereof;[8] and that, not only in regard of the matter contained in it, but also in respect of the authority of God the Creator, who gave it.[9] Neither does Christ, in the Gospel, any way dissolve, but much strengthen this obligation.[10]

VI. Although true believers be not under the law, as a covenant of works, to be thereby justified, or condemned;[11] yet is it of great use to them, as well as to others; in that, as a rule of life informing them of the will of God, and their duty, it directs and binds them to walk accordingly;[12] discovering also the sinful pollutions of their nature, hearts and lives;[13] so as, examining themselves thereby, they may come to further conviction of, humiliation for, and hatred against sin,[14] together with a clearer sight of the need they have of Christ, and the perfection of his obedience.[15] It is likewise of use to the regenerate, to restrain their corruptions, in that it forbids sin:[16] and the threatenings of it serve to show what even their sins deserve; and what afflictions, in this life, they may expect for them, although freed from the curse thereof threatened in the law.[17] The promises of it, in like manner, show them God's approbation of obedience,and what blessings they may expect upon the performance thereof:[18] although not as due to them by the law as a covenant of works.[19] So as, a man's doing good, and refraining from evil, because the law encourages to the one and deters from the other, is no evidence of his being under the law: and not under grace.[20]

VII. Neither are the forementioned uses of the law contrary to the grace of the Gospel, but do sweetly comply with it;[21] the Spirit of Christ subduing and enabling the will of man to do that freely, and cheerfully, which the will of God, revealed in the law, requires to be done.[22]

==================================== all TEN

The Baptist Confession of Faith (1689)

Section 19

19. The Law of God
  1. God gave to Adam a law of universal obedience which was written in his heart, and He gave him very specific instruction about not eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. By this Adam and all his descendants were bound to personal, total, exact, and perpetual obedience, being promised life upon the fulfilling of the law, and threatened with death upon the breach of it. At the same time Adam was endued with power and ability to keep it.

2. The same law that was first written in the heart of man continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness after the Fall, and was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai in the Ten Commandments, and written in two tables, the first four containing our duty towards God, and the other six, our duty to man.

3. Besides this law, commonly called the moral law, God was pleased do give the people of Israel ceremonial laws containing several typical ordinances. These ordinances were partly about their worship, and in them Christ was prefigured along with His attributes and qualities, His actions, His sufferings and His benefits. These ordinances also gave instructions about different moral duties. All of these ceremonial laws were appointed only until the time of reformation, when Jesus Christ the true Messiah and the only lawgiver, Who was furnished with power from the Father for this end, cancelled them and took them away.

4. To the people of Israel He also gave sundry judicial laws which expired when they ceased to be a nation. These are not binding on anyone now by virtue of their being part of the laws of that nation, but their general equity continue to be applicable in modern times.

5. The moral law ever binds to obedience everyone, justified people as well as others, and not only out of regard for the matter contained in it, but also out of respect for the authority of God the Creator, Who gave the law. Nor does Christ in the Gospel dissolve this law in any way, but He considerably strengthens our obligation to obey it.

6. Although true believers are not under the law as a covenant of works, to be justified or condemned by it, yet it is of great use to them as well as to others, because as a rule of life it informs them of the will of God and their duty and directs and binds them to walk accordingly. It also reveals and exposes the sinful pollutions of their natures, hearts and lives, and using it for self-examination they may come to greater conviction of sin, greater humility and greater hatred of their sin. They will also gain a clearer sight of their need of Christ and the perfection of His own obedience. It is of further use to regenerate people to restrain their corruptions, because of the way in which it forbids sin. The threatenings of the law serve to show what their sins actually deserve, and what troubles may be expected in this life because of these sins even by regenerate people who are freed from the curse and undiminished rigours of the law. The promises connected with the law also show believers God's approval of obedience, and what blessings they may expect when the law is kept and obeyed, though blessing will not come to them because they have satisfied the law as a covenant of works. If a man does good and refrains from evil simply because the law encourages to the good and deters him from the evil, that is no evidence that he is under the law rather than under grace.

7. The aforementioned uses of the law are not contrary to the grace of the Gospel, but they sweetly comply with it, as the Spirit of Christ subdues and enables the will of man to do freely and cheerfully those things which the will of God, which is revealed in the law, requires to be done.
=================================

Notice the "details" in the "Baptist Confession of Faith"

1. TEN Commandments included in the LAW of God given to mankind in Eden.
2. SAME law given at Sinai as the MORAL Law of God.
3. That law binds all mankind after the cross and before it.
4. It is perfectly consistent with grace and therefore the Gospel
5. Laws OTHER than the TEN commandments were given to Israel and those other laws included the ceremonial laws - which are no longer in place after the cross.

The Westminster Confession of Faith - section 19 makes the SAME 5 points.

By contrast - You have identified a case where both sides do not agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So what do you think should happen to those who observe Sunday as their day of worship and rest instead of Saturday?

What do you think should happen to those who take God's name in vain, dishonor parents, pray to the dead, bow down before images and promise to serve those the image represents?

Surely in all cases we would say that religious liberty is the rule in our society.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What do you think should happen to those who take God's name in vain, dishonor parents, pray to the dead, bow down before images and promise to serve those the image represents?

Surely in all cases we would say that religious liberty is the rule in our society.
Of course liberalism is a cancer that has invaded our churches. But there is only One who was Virgin-born. All the rest of us are sinners. If God turned His search-light into the hearts of church people, He would find all sorts of sins both in your church and mine. Secret sins that church members hide from others - pride, jealousy, envy, lust, contention.

If you are going to point your finger at other churches because of their perceived sins, then you need to examine closer to him within your own congregation, and perhaps your own heart.

A good preacher once said, we deal with our own sins and love everyone else.

The sins you have pointed out are no different from any other. criticism, envy, jealousy and lust are just as bad, and if you look hard enough you will find them right there in your own church without having to look at any other churches.

In actual fact, we are all the same - sinners who are depending on Jesus our Saviour. Some of us just think we are holier than all the rest! :)

In fact, most who think they are holier than me are usually taller than me, so when I look up at them it gives me a pain in the neck!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

All NT writers affirmed it.

Of course liberalism is a cancer that has invaded our churches.

No NT writer called for violence against anyone that opposed their doctrine. This is irrefutable.

But there is only One who was Virgin-born. All the rest of us are sinners.

This is where we all agree.

If God turned His search-light into the hearts of church people, He would find all sorts of sins both in your church and mine. Secret sins that church members hide from others - pride, jealousy, envy, lust, contention.

What's the point?

The thread topic is on the Sabbath commandment. We would not say of that commandment or of the command to "not take God's name in vain" that it can be ignored since all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. And we all know it.

If you are going to point your finger at other churches because of their perceived sins, then you need to examine closer to him within your own congregation, and perhaps your own heart.

Where is there a statement from me "pointing to other churches sins"?? Are you talking about my statement that violence against others because they hold to differences in doctrine should not be permitted??

A good preacher once said, we deal with our own sins and love everyone else.

The sins you have pointed out are no different from any other. criticism, envy, jealousy and lust are just as bad,

True - but that is not a point I have opposed.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

All NT writers affirmed it.

No NT writer called for violence against anyone that opposed their doctrine. This is irrefutable.

This is where we all agree.

What's the point?

The thread topic is on the Sabbath commandment. We would not say of that commandment or of the command to "not take God's name in vain" that it can be ignored since all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. And we all know it.

Where is there a statement from me "pointing to other churches sins"?? Are you talking about my statement that violence against others because they hold to differences in doctrine should not be permitted??

True - but that is not a point I have opposed.
Aren't you saying that those who do not observe the Saturday Sabbath are committing "mortal" sin and will end up in hell? You may not be saying it in so many words, but you are certainly implying it.

Are you not forcing others to adopt Judaism? If so, why do you not teach that every Christian be circumcised and adopt the Mosaic Law in order to be saved? If you are going to enforce one law, you need to enforce all the laws written down in Deuteronomy and say that if anyone breaks even just one of them, they are cursed. Because that is what the Scripture says.

If so, then you would have to say that Paul was wrong in what he said in Acts about "false apostle" who taught exactly that to the Galatian churches.

• Winner
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Aren't you saying that those who do not observe the Saturday Sabbath are committing "mortal" sin and will end up in hell?

Nope.

James 4:17 says that we cannot say that of another person when they pray to the dead, or worship ancestors, or bow down before images and promise to serve those the image represents etc -- I would never say that those folks will all end up in heaven or will all end up in hell.

You may not be saying it in so many words, but you are certainly implying it.

Nope - not doing that either.

Are you not forcing others to adopt Judaism?

not at all. Everyone has free will.

Rather my point is that both the Sunday groups (and that includes the RCC) and the Bible-Sabbath groups agree to certain key Bible details that are so obvious both sides admit to seeing them.

If so, why do you not teach that every Christian be circumcised

Because the ceremonial law ended at the cross according to Hebrews 10:4-10 - but the moral law remains and it includes the TEN Commandments even according to your own denomination.

and adopt the Mosaic Law in order to be saved? If you are going to enforce one law, you need to enforce all the laws written down in Deuteronomy and say that if anyone breaks even just one of them, they are cursed.

So then you go around saying such a thing if anyone dares to admit that "it is still a sin" to take God's name in vain?? seriously??

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Council of Laodicea, 365 AD, Canon 29:

Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.

There weren't any judaizers when the Lord created the 7th day Sabbath.

1Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. 2And by the seventh day God had finished the work He had been doing; so on that day He rested from all His work.

3Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because on that day He rested from all the work of creation that He had accomplished.

anathema from Christ? really? Is the church cursing Christ? Who kept the Sabbath even in His death. Jesus kept the Sabbath His entire life was He a judaizer? Is the church cursing all the apostles who kept the Sabbath?

The Lord of the Sabbath ... Jesus which appears in all three Synoptic Gospels, Matthew 12:1-8, Mark 2:23-28 and Luke 6:1-5. ... Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"The Sabbath was made for mankind" Mark 2:27
Is 66:23 "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship"
Is 56:6-8 gentiles "specifically" singled out for Sabbath keeping (700 years B.C)
Gen 2:1-3 Sabbath given to all mankind in Eden -

Until you read Genesis 2:1-3 and Exodus 20:11 in the Sabbath commandment to see WHEN it was made into a holy day for all mankind.

Gen 2
Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts. 2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Ex 20:11
11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Please quote any verse that has the word "shabbath" found in Genesis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gentiles specifically targeted for Sabbath keeping in Isaiah 56:6-8.
All mankind for Sabbath keeping in Isaiah 66:23
Gentiles keeping Sabbath "Sabbath after Sabbath" to hear gospel preaching in Acts 13
Gentiles keeping Sabbath "Sabbath after Sabbath" to hear gospel preaching in Acts 17
Gentiles keeping Sabbath "Sabbath after Sabbath" to hear gospel preaching in Acts 18 in fact in Acts 18:4 it is "every Sabbath" that both jews and gentiles gather in the synagogues and hear the Gospel
Attendance of religious activities isn't proof of keeping the sabbath. Also worthy of note is none of the above are Christians. You're trying to build on air.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Here you go...

GENESIS 2:1-3 [1], Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [2], And ON THE SEVENTH DAY God ended his work which he had made; and he RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] on the SEVENTH DAY from all his work which he had made. [3], And GOD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY AND MADE IT HOLY: because that in it he had RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] from all his work which God created and made.

The Hebrew word for RESTED used here is שׁבת; shâbath (H7673). It's meaning is; to repose, that is, desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causatively, figuratively or specifically): - (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, KEEP SABBATH, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

שׁבת; shâbath or REST (H7673) is the ORIGIN or ROOT word for שׁבּת; shabbâth (H7676) which is used in God's 4th commandments translated into english as SABBATH. The HEBREW Word for shabbâth meaing is the intermission between SABBATHS or shâbath (H7673) REST or the continuation meaing from one SABBATH REST to the Next SABBATH REST continuation or EVERY SABBATH. It's application is in God's 4th commandment EXODUS 20:8 is to REMEMBER [EVERY] Sabbath [shabbâth H7676].

In the 4th commandment *EXODUS 20:8-11; v11 tells us the ORIGINS of God's 4th commandments Sabbath is in reference to GENESIS 2:1-3 and the reason why it is given as a memorial of Greation to whorship God as the creator of Heaven and Earth.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Obviously referring back to Genesis the 7th day Sabbath.

— Exodus 20:8-11

• Agree
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here you go...

GENESIS 2:1-3 [1], Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [2], And ON THE SEVENTH DAY God ended his work which he had made; and he RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] on the SEVENTH DAY from all his work which he had made. [3], And GOD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY AND MADE IT HOLY: because that in it he had RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] from all his work which God created and made.

The Hebrew word for RESTED used here is שׁבת; shâbath (H7673). It's meaning is; to repose, that is, desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causatively, figuratively or specifically): - (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, KEEP SABBATH, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

שׁבת; shâbath or REST (H7673) is the ORIGIN or ROOT word for שׁבּת; shabbâth (H7676) which is used in God's 4th commandments translated into english as SABBATH. The HEBREW Word for shabbâth meaing is the intermission between SABBATHS or shâbath (H7673) REST or the continuation meaing from one SABBATH REST to the Next SABBATH REST continuation or EVERY SABBATH. It's application is in God's 4th commandment EXODUS 20:8 is to REMEMBER [EVERY] Sabbath [shabbâth H7676].

In the 4th commandment *EXODUS 20:8-11; v11 tells us the ORIGINS of God's 4th commandments Sabbath is in reference to GENESIS 2:1-3 and the reason why it is given as a memorial of Greation to whorship God as the creator of Heaven and Earth.

Hope this helps.
Here's the Hebrew text -
2 וַיְכַ֤ל אֱלֹהִים֙ בַּיּ֣וֹם הַשְּׁבִיעִ֔י מְלַאכְתּ֖וֹ אֲשֶׁ֣ר עָשָׂ֑ה וַיִּשְׁבֹּת֙ בַּיּ֣וֹם הַשְּׁבִיעִ֔י
מִכָּל־ מְלַאכְתּ֖

Here is Strong's entry -

Original Word: שָׁבַת
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: shabath
Phonetic Spelling: (shaw-bath')
Definition: to cease, desist, rest

This is the word that appears in Gen 2:2 translated rested. Please note a single b. The word "shabbath" has 2 b's and is a noun.

It doesn't matter what the root word is. The fact is the word "shabbath" doesn't appear in Genesis.

Here is Strong's entry for sabbath -

shabbath: sabbath
Original Word: שַׁבָּת
Part of Speech: Noun
Transliteration: shabbath
Phonetic Spelling: (shab-bawth')
Definition: sabbath

Please note shabbath has a double b.

Copy both the original word of Hebrew for each. Place them on the same page in a browser. Zoom it out to say 200 and compare.

They're different words and parts of speech.

So Please show "shabbath" in Genesis.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Obviously referring back to Genesis the 7th day Sabbath.

— Exodus 20:8-11
But that isn't Genesis.

Upvote 0