Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Some argue that there is no command in NT or OT to keep week-day-1 holy or to assemble for worship every week-day-1 or to be careful to have communion "every week-day-1".

But what about "Sabbath"? Is Sabbath mentioned in the NT?

BobRyan said:
And did you notice that the NT kept quoting the OT LAWS?

Sure enough I did. I also noticed your favorite isn't quoted in the NT.

oh that's right "Do no take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7 -- never quoted in the NT.

And of course "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5 never quoted as a statement promoted by anyone after the cross.

I forgot to mention that (since I almost always do mention it) . thanks for bringing it up again.

And your point?

Neither is the 4th commandment your favorite.

Ex 20:11 God "created the heavens and the earth the seas and springs of water"
Rev 14:7 worship Him "who created the heavens and the Earth and the springs of water"

Gen 2 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
Ex 20 " and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy
Heb 4 "“And God rested on the seventh day from all His works

Heb 4 "there remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God"
Mark 2:27 "the Sabbath was made for mankind"

Acts 18:4 "every Sabbath" both Jews and gentiles in the synagogue to hear more Gospel preaching and to worship God.

-- that is an example of "not mentioned" in the NT that I am NOT talking about when I say --

And no wonder since for all eternity after the cross in the NEW Earth "from SABBATH to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

oh that's right "Do no take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7 -- never quoted in the NT.

And of course "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5 never quoted as a statement promoted by anyone after the cross.
=============================

Because in the case of the Deut 6:5 and Ex 20:7 they actually are not mentioned as I point out.

And as I also point out - the fact that they are not mentioned does not mean we can ignore them.

Last edited:

Cnnsdc63

Dec 27, 2018
Pennsylvanis
✟13,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Christ is our Sabbath. He fulfilled all of the laws of the OT for us. That being said, I am lucky to have Sunday off. I love going to church, doing some recreational activities, watching football and taking a Sunday afternoon nap. When necessary, I do some work around the house, with no guilt.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus Christ is our Sabbath. He fulfilled all of the laws of the OT for us.
Ah - that same old tired anti-nomian reply.

“Jesus never broke the speed limits on I-95, so I don’t have to worry about it. I can go as fast as I want to.“
Did you expect something else here Bob?

• Haha
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Cnnsdc63

Dec 27, 2018
Pennsylvanis
✟13,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ah - that same old tired anti-nomian reply.

“Jesus never broke the speed limits on I-95, so I don’t have to worry about it. I can go as fast as I want to.“
Did you expect something else here Bob?

If I break the speed limit on I95, I’ll get a ticket. If I have a job and work on Sunday, I am not going to be thrown in hell. In Mathew 12: 1 to 13 Jesus talks about it himself. “ I desire mercy, not sacrifice” always gets me thinking how lucky we are.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus Christ is our Sabbath. He fulfilled all of the laws of the OT for us. That being said, I am lucky to have Sunday off. I love going to church, doing some recreational activities, watching football and taking a Sunday afternoon nap. When necessary, I do some work around the house, with no guilt.
Christ is not the Sabbath - that’s nonsense. He himself said he is Lord of the Sabbath. If he was then Sabbath, he would have said so.

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I break the speed limit on I95, I’ll get a ticket.
Of course you will and that was my point. Claiming one can do as they please because Jesus obeyed the Law is just as ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I have a job and work on Sunday, I am not going to be thrown in hell.
Another big misunderstanding of salvation.
It is not sin that sends one to hell. It is lack of being in a covenant with God by faith.

Upvote 0

Cnnsdc63

Dec 27, 2018
Pennsylvanis
✟13,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is not sin that sends one to hell. It is lack of being in a covenant with God by faith.

Exactly!!! I just ran the snowblower in my driveway , cleaned my truck and missed church due to the weather. All on this Sunday. I am not worried one little bit about doing so. I hope this isn’t the same old antinomian reply you have come to except. :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly!!! I just ran the snowblower in my driveway , cleaned my truck and missed church due to the weather. All on this Sunday. I am not worried one little bit about doing so. I hope this isn’t the same old antinomian reply you have come to except. :)
Not at all. As long as you are NOT saying Jesus obeyed the Law by NOT cleaning snow off of His truck, which means it is OK for me to break the Law and clean it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Christ is our Sabbath.

A number of people on this area of the board have quoted "themselves" to get that suggestion introduced on the board.

He fulfilled all of the laws of the OT for us.

He perfectly complied with "fulfilled" the LAW "Do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:10
He perfectly complied with "fulfilled" the LAW "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5
He perfectly complied with "fulfilled" the LAW "Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18
He perfectly complied with "fulfilled" the LAW "Honor your father and mother" Ex 20:12

And still in the NT "Sin IS transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4
And still in the NT "what matters is keeping the commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19 where "the fifth commandment is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2)

No wonder the NT says the "saints KEEP the commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12 while so many today are so proud of breaking them.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Exactly!!! I just ran the snowblower in my driveway , cleaned my truck and missed church due to the weather. All on this Sunday. . :)

Me too! I am going to chip some wood in my yard on this fine Sunday.

Fortunately for both of us - no scripture says to keep week-day-1 holy. (As we appear to both agree.)

Always nice to find points of agreement.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If I break the speed limit on I95, I’ll get a ticket. If I have a job and work on Sunday, I am not going to be thrown in hell. In Mathew 12: 1 to 13 Jesus talks about it himself. “ I desire mercy, not sacrifice” always gets me thinking how lucky we are.

Jesus said in Matthew 19 if you want to go to heaven "keep the commandments" and is asked "which ones?" - and then He quotes from that very same unit of TEN that we find Paul affirming in Eph 6:2 and Romans 13.

No wonder the NT says "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND the faith of Jesus" Rev 14:12 adding "this IS the Love of God that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:2-3 because in the NT "SIN IS transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4 "still"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

There is a rather nice covenant in Jer 31:31-33 "This is the NEW Covenant ... I will write My LAW on their heart and mind and I will remember their sins no more"

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Christ is not the Sabbath - that’s nonsense. He himself said he is Lord of the Sabbath. If he was then Sabbath, he would have said so.

True. Jesus never said " I am LORD of Myself"

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a rather nice covenant in Jer 31:31-33 "This is the NEW Covenant ... I will write My LAW on their heart and mind and I will remember their sins no more"
Which is what started me on the idea that salvation was by covenant rather than by works or by grace and faith. Forgiveness of sins is a part of being in the covenant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

1. No Bible text says "Christ is our Sabbath" - but we do have "Christ is LORD of the Sabbath" and we have "the Sabbath was made for mankind not mankind made for the Sabbath" Mark 2:27
2. And we do have Col 1 "all things made by Christ AND FOR Christ" instead of "Christ made FOR mankind" as the "Sabbath was made FOR Mankind" we have "in Col 1:16 -- " mankind made FOR Christ

Upvote 0