Sabbath: How to tell your boss, friends, and family?

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Incidentally, the Sabbath followed by today's Jews (and Seventh Day Adventists) does not coincide with the timing of the Sabbath as it was originally scheduled in the Old Testament. For that, you would have to follow a lunar calendar, and getting time off work for that would be immensely more difficult than mere seventh-day slumber. Any particular day of the week is far more workable than the asynchrony of reconciling lunar and solar schedules. That's why contemporary Jews locked it down to Friday evening to Saturday evening right about the time that the solar calendar of the Romans was universally instituted.

That's why I consider it foolish to worry and argue over whether the Sabbath should be Saturday or Sunday, when it is, in fact, neither. Both are arbitrary substitutes for the original Sabbath day. One arbitrary substitute is as good as any other. My fellow Christians celebrate it on Sunday, and that's the day I prefer, because that's the only day I can celebrate it with them (by convention).

Regarding calendar timing I believe that's correct. Scripture uses lunar timing, whilst Babylonian, Roman, Gregorian, Julian, etc, use solar. See link, Introduction to the Jewish Calendar

However, your latter assertion is quite false, individualistic and humanistic. We do as God does, as he commands, not as we prefer. The commandment is to love the Lord thy God with all. And to be holy as he is holy. Not vice versa. Not to be like Adam and Eve. - Anyhow, this is not the topic of this discussion, but to explain briefly for those wondering, the Early Church celebrated on 'Sunday' because it was a designated Hebrew public holiday (to 'do no servile work'), as you'll find delineated in Leviticus. It wasn't 'Sunday worship' per se like most churches do now. The formal replacement of Sabbath on 'Saturday' with 'Sunday', the Lord's Day, was later officiated by the Council of Laodicea 635. A political and Roman enforcement, upheld by the Puritans and Reformers and kept strictly and dogmatically in such circles til now. No. The Lord was clear ins saying 'This do in remembrance of me'. This being the sabbath, passover, breaking of bread, because Christ IS the bread of life, the eternal rest, the one who causes God to 'passover' believers (propitiation). Do you see?

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Cor. 2, Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 2 - King James Version)

Blessings :)

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
You hit the nail directly on the head Oscarr. Sabbath was part of the agreement Israel had with God. History reveals nothing concerning any other nation concerning this duty, only Israel. Some try to morph Sabbath observance into the new covenant even threating that if we don't observe the Sabbath we will lose our eternal inheritance. According to some today observing a ritual day is a big part of being righteous enough to enter Heaven when the old covenant laws including the Sabbath law would not save one soul.

There's nothing new under the sun. And a true Israelite is the same as a true believer in the Lord, the Messiah. They are the same. There is no racial or covenantal distinction post-crucifixion and resurrection. Romans 9 makes that clear. Bible Gateway passage: Romans 9 - King James Version

Gentiles are not obliged to keep Old Testament law as the Exodus people, by text, and lip service. Or vain heartless ritualism. No. Malachi makes this clear.

However, Gentiles must keep the law, in the same way one must love God and love his neighbour. Going above and beyond the literal letter of the law, having a heart for God and his people, for his creation.

To be like the Good Samaritan and unlike the Pharisees.
To have faith in the Messiah, not in religion.
To look to the kingdom of heaven, not institutional religion.

Having been converted not by race, ethnicity, or birth, but by the Holy Spirit, by regeneration of God himself. A significant difference. Romans 8 makes this clear, Bible Gateway passage: Romans 8 - King James Version.

Hence, the Lord said,

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. (Mt. 5:17-20, Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 5:17-20 - King James Version)

Hence we pray, "May your kingdom come, may your will be done..."

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
When we talked about availability for my current job, I told her I was available all week long until 5PM on Friday.

I also told her I am able to work all major US/world holidays, as I don’t celebrate any of them. It’s only 1 day of the week that I’m not able to work.

It’s not a big deal for most people, especially because employers don’t want to cause any issues for potential religious discrimination lawsuits.

Shalom David,
That's very funny. Is 5pm the time of sunset? If so, what do you do about seasonal changes?
Again, very funny about US holidays. Here in Australia, the overtime and public holiday loading is impossibly expensive for many employers. Instead many will rather close during those times. Bar the public sector and big companies. Hospitality also.
About lawsuits, is civil action a common thing (for religious discrimination etc) where you are? Here it's very rare, even for Muslim (who are vastly inactive).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There is actually nothing wrong with setting aside a day in the week where one can rest from work and to reflect on the things of God; but it has to be personal choice, not as a religious requirement. It is all part of the healthy work/life balance. As a retired person in my 70s, I enjoy my regular "blob-out" days where I rest on the couch and do nothing in particular!

I think the problem with you, me, and everyone else in the fallen world is that we believe our life and identity is defined by work. It is not. One must remember, especially a believer, that work is a consequence of our earliest ancestor's sin.

A misconception I'm picking up here is that many seem to think the 4th commandment is about "rest" after having worked 6 days. i.e. to have worked until, enough, so much, that one has earned the right to cease from work, temporarily. A kind of reward 'to blob-out' as you say. That would be a false conception.

Scripture states, "Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work. But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord" (Exo. 20:9, Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 20:9 - King James Version) simply indicating the time-frame for work to be done, and the time-frame to rest and remember God. As prescribed by God. For man to remember the work the Father had done, has done, is doing, and WILL DO. That's why we 'remember' the Messiah and have 'faith' in him and the future, for a 'hope' and 'salvation' etc. For the simple fact that our work, done by hands of men, is futile.

Secondly, believers are not defined by their productive capacity to work, but rather by their service to God. The Lord made this clear symbolically, metaphorically, and literally, by conveying the reason for Pharoah to let his people go. 'Let my people go, that they may serve me' (Ex. 9:3, Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 9:1-7 - King James Version). That is the raison detre of a believer. Not in the brick-making capacity of meeting x-quota, the very expectation and criticism from the Egyptian and reprobate pov. No, we are not slaves. None of us are slaves.

The 'work-life balance' thing may be emphasised in America with the harsh capitalist conditions you're under, but I believe the philosphy itself originates from the (Puritan and) Protestant Work Ethic, by Max Weber, 1905. Because before that the earliest book about 'progress' and 'working' (towards salvation) began with the Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan 1678. -- But I can assure you, people outside of the West and America DO NOT think the same way.

For example, in many countries men (and women) do not work 2-3 jobs, 7 days per week, until midnight, sleeping a few hours per day, etc. Instead, most are unemployed or underemployed as you might call them. They do seasonal work, when work needs to be done. - I believe this is a natural and healthy approach, before we had capitalism.

Hence, Ecclesiastes 3, 'To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted' - Reinforcing the 4th commandment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I've heard of Seventh-Day Baptists, but I have never known a Presbyterian who views the Sabbath from Friday evening to Saturday evening. Interesting!

Well, since I view Sunday as the Christian Sabbath, and that I work with a Reformed Christian boss (which I had no idea until I had the job), that is the only day I am sure to have off, regardless if I hold to it or not.

Presbuteros (πρεσβύτερος) or Presbyterian simply means 'elder', a label that denotes and describes a particular brand of Reformed and Calvinistic theology (which really were the normal views in the 1600-1800s) distinctly that our church governance was not a dictatorship, unlike the Roman Catholic Pope we had spent so long rebelling and protesting against. A problem that many churches still have, Baptists especially.

Paul's commandment to the Early Church was to "ordain elders in every city" (Titus 1:5, Titus 1:5-16 KJV;TR1550 - For this cause left I thee in Crete, - Bible Gateway) And this system comes directly from God himself who had 72 elders go half way up the Mt Sinai, to later disseminate the law/Scripture to each family/tribe. That is the Scriptural design. In that sense, Presbyterians feel they have been faithful to God's word and God has also blessed us with many Presbyterian churches, schools, etc, etc, that operate under the same system. Not dictatorships, but councils and courts of elders, across the country, and internationally at times. Not one pastor, or potential wolf in sheep's clothing, doing damage.

While my view is a minority view, I believe it is not baseless:
  1. It's a Scriptural view.
  2. The earliest Presbyterians were Torah and commandment-keepers, and were not 'Presbyterians'
  3. Calvin himself wrote that he accepted the entire system of religion as handed down by Moses (Institutes 2.1)
  4. Presbyterians uphold Scripture first and foremost as their supreme standard, above the Westminster Confession 1646 (that the LBCF 1689 is based on, a diluted copy)
  5. Sabbath is a actually a memorial of God's creation order, the timing is a reminder that the 'Day' begins at nightfall per Genesis. That our day begins (our life even) begins in rest, eating, sleeping, dreaming, then waking...
  6. Sabbath also isn't so much an individualistic thing, but rather a time for others, for your children, employees, etc, to go free, a reflection of God's mercy and kindness, hence, 'so no man can boast' because this is God's design... It's a time of liberation for poor people and oppressed people, yourself included - Ones who God loves. This is how his 'mercy endureth forever' (Ps. 136) and how 'God loves the world'. You praise your boss. Your boss praises God.
Hope that helps. :)

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Shalom Bob,
It did not become "law" at Sinai, it became a sign. Shabbat was given at Creation. "And YHVH said unto Moses, how long refuse ye to keep my commandments (MITZVOTAV) and my laws (TORATI)?" And regarding the New Covenant: "I will put my law (TORATI) in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. " Wet noodles are for pasta, just add sauce. :)
Shavua Tov!

Almost right. - Sabbath began with the Lord himself.

"And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested (shabath, וַיִּשְׁבֹּת) on the seventh day from all his work which he had made." (Gen. 2:1, Gen 2:1 KJV;WLC - Thus the heavens and the earth were - Bible Gateway)

Seconded by Adam. Adam's first breath was a Sabbath day of rest. His 'work' or 'job' was effortless, what we would call 'play'. Child's play.

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil." (Gen. 2:7-9)

Hence, this adds a historical dimension to the Lord's words, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath" (Mk. 2:27, Bible Gateway passage: Mark 2:27 - King James Version)

Thus, Sabbath-keeping is not legalistic law-keeping, but rather it's a kind of throwback to Adam's pre-fallen state, his would-be eternity, that our generation has been gifted, out of God's love and kindness. As Christ is kind of 'Adam', the 'last Adam' (1 Cor. 15:45). And being first born from the dead. -- Adam 2.0. so to speak.

This is speculation now, but it's possible and likely that our resurrection experience (rejoining of our soul to a dead body) will be similar to Adam's first breath, 'blown into his nostrils'. A sudden awakening. There are clues throughout Scripture through the lens of Revelation. And how Paul says we won't be dead but "asleep". Just like Adam was "formed" and "living" yet inanimate until slightly later in Genesis 2.

See Dr. Russel Humphreys explaining Event Horizon, at 7:00,

Enjoy, and blessed be God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
In academia, there is ample room to negotiate workdays off for the Sabbath (however you calculate it), and sabbatical years. I don't think there is that luxury in other fields.
In school, work, and other times of life, Yahuweh Sovereign Creator has orchestrated all accordingly for well over a decade now, (I did not have to "negotiate"),
and many time "they" offer/up front/ "no work <on the day Yahuweh Sanctified and Set Aside> on Seventh Day, nor on 6th day after 4 or 5 p.m. (stop early enough to get home with no problem). "....
Others likewise have noted that Yahuweh (God) has ALWAYS arranged their jobs, work, and school, and whatever else, so they haven't had to "negotiate"....
Also,
jobs that might come up that would require working on the Day Yahuweh Set Apart ,
we don't ever even consider to do,
unless Yahuweh directs things in a way that permits Keeping His Day Peacefully without any argument (i.e. HE arranges things to change so no work is required on His Commanded Day of Rest)

Then, there were people and times who thought they could not honor His Word, they thought they needed the job or work or whatever and went ahead and worked on the His Directed Sabbath Day, and suffered for it, but they repented and He did not condemn them.

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Yeshua, God certainly blessed the day He rested from creating. What is puzzling is that there is no record of anyone observing the seventh-day until just before Sinai. In fact, as God led the slaves out of bondage, which took several weeks, He didn't stop them on His seventh-day during that journey. It seems that it only became a demand after they were safe on the other side of the Red Sea. Then it became so important that those who disobeyed were to be put to death.

The other dilemma that I see is that God never laid observance upon any other group of people. The Sabbath was for Israel exclusively. Why all of a sudden after Jesus broke down the barrier between Jew and Gentile dividing the wall of hostility, by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations did it become essential for Christians to begin observing a day? Now, those that observe the Sabbath claim that it is essential for salvation.

Jesus lived under the Sinai covenant and taught under that covenant. He did tell the man to keep the 10 commandments. For those Jews keeping the laws that God required was essential for eternal life, but the law could not save one soul. It was faith that has always saved man. Abraham was saved by faith and you and I will be saved the same way. Keeping the Law is our way of honoring God and our fellow man.

Now the question is what law must we keep in order to please our God. Although I attend an old-line protestant church I am at heart a new covenant believer. I do not follow old covenant ritual law. I do 77777believe in corporate worship and building a refuge for those who are seeking God and His wonderful way of life. I, at one time, believed I had to observe the Sabbath of the old Covenant because it is part of the 10 commandments. I have come to a new consideration. My eyes were opened to the writings of Paul and it changed my life.

I do respect you and your belief system and your love for Jesus. I cherish all that I learned as a Sabbath observer and I look forward to having many more dialogs on this forum. I never fail to learn something good.

To be clear, you know, there's no judgement or dogma from my behalf, or those like me (if anybody's out there... PM me and say hello!).

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
(Col. 2:16-17, Bible Gateway passage: Colossians 2:16-17 - King James Version)

I've explained Sabbath briefly above, and it is not essential for salvation. Because salvation is essential for salvation. And that's by the Messiah alone, the Bread of Life, from the house of bread. Either one is raised from the dead like the Lord was, and granted life, or not. It's an absolute process. The Lord said, 'No man cometh to the Father but by me'. And, 'If you love me keep my commandments'.

It seems clear that Scriptural concepts like 'faith', and 'love', mercy, kindness, etc are not intangible abstract things, or far fetched things, but rather simple and practical things. Obvious, straightforward, and easy enough for a child to understand. I do 'because the Bible tells me so'. That is how I know I am 'faithful' and 'in Christ'. I do as he did, as applicable to a Gentile unbound by the law.

"Jesus broke down the barrier between Jew and Gentile dividing the wall of hostility"

This quote is misleading. - There is no 'replacement' (supercessionism, etc). Scripture is clear that Gentiles are ingrafts into the original (family) tree (Rom. 11). A family tree because the Father saves 'households'. The original tree being through (Adam, Noah, and) Abraham (the first to be saved by faith). The bad branches God pruned (ethnic Jews, Jacob's line). And the Lord like a rich man held a great feast that the people rejected, so WE Gentiles have been invited, to the same system of religion with the same times, signs, and events (within reason), and same offer of salvation, with the same Messiah. We're essentially one and the same, Jews AND Gentiles (not Jews or Gentiles, not Jews vs Gentiles; Scripture endorses no animosity or enmity). There's only a slight difference in roles and status.

Now, the passage above from Colossians is commonly misunderstood. I'll explain a little.

The Messiah did not nullify the law because the law is eternal for all time. Til heaven and earth pass away (i.e. never, because there will be a new creation, and the kingdom of heaven will 'come'). To nullify the law would be to accused God of being a liar. But rather more accurately the 'signs' and 'times' of YHVH have been (partially) 'fulfilled' by the Messiah. Christ who became the bread. He became the unblemished lamb. He became the sacrifice of atonement. He embodied these things, the substance, and glory of rituals in key events in the Hebrew calendar. Because he is life itself, he is salvation. This is why the law is referred to as a 'shadow of things to come'. Because 3 events have been done and covered by Christ and the Holy Spirit. Now past. 4 events remain, pending for the future.

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In school, work, and other times of life, Yahuweh Sovereign Creator has orchestrated all accordingly for well over a decade now, (I did not have to "negotiate"),
and many time "they" offer/up front/ "no work <on the day Yahuweh Sanctified and Set Aside> on Seventh Day, nor on 6th day after 4 or 5 p.m. (stop early enough to get home with no problem). "....
Others likewise have noted that Yahuweh (God) has ALWAYS arranged their jobs, work, and school, and whatever else, so they haven't had to "negotiate"....
Also,
jobs that might come up that would require working on the Day Yahuweh Set Apart ,
we don't ever even consider to do,
unless Yahuweh directs things in a way that permits Keeping His Day Peacefully without any argument (i.e. HE arranges things to change so no work is required on His Commanded Day of Rest)

Then, there were people and times who thought they could not honor His Word, they thought they needed the job or work or whatever and went ahead and worked on the His Directed Sabbath Day, and suffered for it, but they repented and He did not condemn them.

Thank you for an interesting perspective, and encouragement I suppose. Thank you. I agree that God is sovereign, absolutely. However, the rest of your view would be a highly passive and inactive view and approach to life. I wonder how you reconcile with passages about, say, Peter and the men opting to go fishing, or say the Lord himself opting to follow Joseph's trade and do furniture-making, or Paul who opted to 'work with his hands' expressly seeking Aquila to work because 'he was of the same trade'.

You see, people have free-will, energy, time, resources, and responsibilities... 'Six days thou shalt labour and do all thy work.' Also, "He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much." (Lk. 16:10, Bible Gateway passage: Luke 16:10 - King James Version)

Hence, the parable of the 3 servants. Passages about good stewardship, prudence, being like the ant, being shrewd, etc. - We do what we can, when we can, how we can, in line with his commandments. But that will inevitably involve others, kinder or meaner fallen men. 'Man makes war in his heart', you know.

Yahuweh (God) has ALWAYS arranged their jobs, work, and school, and whatever else, so they haven't had to "negotiate"....

I'm sorry, but that statement is false I'm afraid. Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers and found work under difficult circumstances, negotiating with Pharaoh's men, his wife, and Pharaoh himself. Jacob negotiated with his uncle, employer, and father-in-law, Laban, who exploited his labour and had him working in harsh conditions. Moses likewise spent much of Exodus negotiating, on behalf of God. Paul and Peter also negotiated with the Roman courts, with Felix, Agrippa, etc.

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

God must love you a lot. You're very fortunate, very sheltered.

"For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. ...For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name." (Ps. 61)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
God must love you a lot. You're very fortunate, very sheltered.

"For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. ...For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name." (Ps. 61)
Loved, yes, as His Word Says. Sheltered??? No, not the way you appear to think or mean. CARED FOR , as HIS SHEEP, yes, as also all His Sheep everywhere... HE IS PERFECT SHEPHERD.

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
many time "they" offer/up front/ "no work <on the day Yahuweh Sanctified and Set Aside> on Seventh Day, nor on 6th day after 4 or 5 p.m. (stop early enough to get home with no problem). "....

Yes, and I believe this protection from God applies to all believers, all his people, though at certain points certain people are put to the test. I am one of them. - "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." (2 Tim. 3:12)

But also, our skills from a young age, past experiences, even bad experiences, are a preparation for our future. e.g. A young David was confident to fight Goliath because of years as a shepherd boy killing wild animals. And even still, as the champion, Saul later became jealous and his inadequacies caused a huge problem for David. Or the Hebrew population as a whole under Pharaoh in Egypt, exploited, slaves, cheap labour, treated improperly.

I suppose for me, my life lately is navigating around hostile adversarial circumstances, with people who may or may not respond favourably to someone who upholds Scripture day to day.

i.e. 'How If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.' (Jn. 15:18)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I suppose for me, my life lately is navigating around hostile adversarial circumstances, with people who may or may not respond favourably to someone who upholds Scripture day to day.
People everywhere, around me daily, are hostile to Jesus, and thus hostile to me also,
and only by Yahuweh's Grace and Provision/ Accomplishing/ can I even survive at all.
At times, as written, He makes "even enemies" to be at peace,
but there are continuing and continually more who refuse peace, and who would just as soon eliminate us (anyone who loves the truth) as smile and say hi....(pretending)...

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

I'm sorry, but that statement is false I'm afraid. Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers and found work under difficult circumstances, negotiating with Pharaoh's men, his wife, and Pharaoh himself. Jacob negotiated with his uncle, employer, and father-in-law, Laban, who exploited his labour and had him working in harsh conditions. Moses likewise spent much of Exodus negotiating, on behalf of God. Paul and Peter also negotiated with the Roman courts, with Felix, Agrippa, etc.
WHO did I post about ?
WHO does your post refer to ?
"He has gone before us, preparing our way" .....
We/they/others may choose to negotiate some day.... as Yahuweh trains , disciplines , teaches and directs us .....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The distinction I was trying to make is between the slavish observance of the Sabbath as something that is essential to salvation, as the Jews believed, and as some religious groups teach - and a believer's choice to observe a day of the week where he is going to put secular stuff aside and dedicate all or part of that day to Him, which is not essential to salvation.

By the way, John Bunyan believed in faith alone in Christ for salvation, and a life of holiness to develop towards sanctification. His book, "Grace abounding to the Chief of Sinners" explains that.

The problem with much of today's church is a trend away from teaching holiness as a way of living for the Lord and toward antinominism (doing what one pleases because he or she is saved by grace).

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you obey the Word of God only at the times that you just so happen to feel like it... rather than because God has authority and should be obeyed.. then you have done... right? or wrong?

Another way to say that is "you are in the driver's seat when it comes to picking and choosing which part of God's word you feel like obeying".

Interesting that Jesus cried out "Father if it be possible let this cup pass from Me" Matt 26:39 "nevertheless not My will but Thy will be done" - and it sorta gives us the impression that He did not "feel like" being betrayed and crucified and paying our debt of sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The distinction I was trying to make is between the slavish observance of the Sabbath as something that is essential to salvation, as the Jews believed, and as some religious groups teach - and a believer's choice to observe a day of the week where he is going to put secular stuff aside and dedicate all or part of that day to Him, which is not essential to salvation.

By the way, John Bunyan believed in faith alone in Christ for salvation, and a life of holiness to develop towards sanctification. His book, "Grace abounding to the Chief of Sinners" explains that.

The problem with much of today's church is a trend away from teaching holiness as a way of living for the Lord and toward antinomianism (doing what one pleases because he or she is saved by grace).

"Slavish observance" of rituals is ritualism, an idolatry of sorts. Certain Jews have taken this to extremes in 'Orthodox Judaism' and in Christ's time too, but the same applies to Presbyterian routines/tradition and Baptist's obsession with 'baptism' (baptismal regeneration in some cases).

A woman was preaching on the street today. I stopped to listen and noticed people smirking at her. She repeated various evangelical cliches. 'Be-lieve in Jesus, and be saved, today!' she repeated over and over. Then I began to regret stopping to listen as a man approached me with pamphlets and asked a bunch of rapidfire questions, "DO you know Jesus??? ARE you born again??? HAVE you been full-immersion baptised??? DO you speak in tongues???"

As I began to reply, the woman came over and asked the same things, particularly rudely and aggressively... Anyhow I answered her and mentioned some Scripture, about those phrases. But as I spoke she interrupted me, muttering mumbo-jumbo devil-speak (gibberish that sounded like a voodoo curse, sounded like pseudo Greek mixed with Jamaican, imou emoi agathoi barabadi, she muttered, or something to that effect, utter non-sense - I thought she was having a seizure for a moment). Her eyes glazed over. Then she looked back at me and immediately began accusing me of being 'deceived' and 'unbaptised' and 'unsaved' and 'unborn-again'. I waited for her to finish to actually answer their stupid questions. They then abruptly ran off, insisting they 'have work to do'. Then had the audacity to yell at me to 'Get full immersion baptised!'. Utterly embarrassing. -- Never again will I stop for these people. A pair of irritants the both of them. Never again.

Maybe others can relate to this?

I think with antinomianism, it's very common to see people claim license to sin, to behave disgracefully. Taking liberties with God's religion. The female street preacher above for example. What nerve and immodesty. Completely inappropriate, let alone irreligious and un-Scriptural.

• Agree
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Interesting that Jesus cried out "Father if it be possible let this cup pass from Me" Matt 26:39 "nevertheless not My will but Thy will be done" - and it sorta gives us the impression that He did not "feel like" being betrayed and crucified and paying our debt of sin.

The "cup" was part of the betrothal or covenant between Yeshua (the husband) and ourselves (the bride). We were bought with a bride price, His life. The cup of wine is given to the bride, if she accepts, they are betrothed for marriage. Before leaving the he would announce that he is going to prepare a place for her and will return when it is ready (John 14:2-3). The usual practice was for the man to return to his father's house and build a honeymoon room there (in my Father's house there are many rooms ).

• Informative
Reactions: philadelphos
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"Slavish observance" of rituals is ritualism, an idolatry of sorts. Certain Jews have taken this to extremes in 'Orthodox Judaism' and in Christ's time too, but the same applies to Presbyterian routines/tradition and Baptist's obsession with 'baptism' (baptismal regeneration in some cases).

A woman was preaching on the street today. I stopped to listen and noticed people smirking at her. She repeated various evangelical cliches. 'Be-lieve in Jesus, and be saved, today!' she repeated over and over. Then I began to regret stopping to listen as a man approached me with pamphlets and asked a bunch of rapidfire questions, "DO you know Jesus??? ARE you born again??? HAVE you been full-immersion baptised??? DO you speak in tongues???"

As I began to reply, the woman came over and asked the same things, particularly rudely and aggressively... Anyhow I answered her and mentioned some Scripture, about those phrases. But as I spoke she interrupted me, muttering mumbo-jumbo devil-speak (gibberish that sounded like a voodoo curse, sounded like pseudo Greek mixed with Jamaican, imou emoi agathoi barabadi, she muttered, or something to that effect, utter non-sense - I thought she was having a seizure for a moment). Her eyes glazed over. Then she looked back at me and immediately began accusing me of being 'deceived' and 'unbaptised' and 'unsaved' and 'unborn-again'. I waited for her to finish to actually answer their stupid questions. They then abruptly ran off, insisting they 'have work to do'. Then had the audacity to yell at me to 'Get full immersion baptised!'. Utterly embarrassing. -- Never again will I stop for these people. A pair of irritants the both of them. Never again.

Maybe others can relate to this?

I think with antinomianism, it's very common to see people claim license to sin, to behave disgracefully. Taking liberties with God's religion. The female street preacher above for example. What nerve and immodesty. Completely inappropriate, let alone irreligious and un-Scriptural.

Upvote 0