visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
The term " sabbata" in Colossians 2:16 refers either to the annual sabbaths of ancient Israel or the weekly Sabbath of the decalogue.

Col 2:16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath

Within the verse itself, it lends itself to being about the annual sabbaths, as does the rest of the verse. Paul does not speak of the ‘Sabbath’ which is associated with the other nine moral laws. This verse "Sabbata" is associated with ‘meat,’ ‘drink,’ and ‘new-moons’ in the ceremonial laws.

Does anyone have any insights into this? Can it be both?

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ellicott sees a progression here, from annual festivals, to monthly new moons, to the weekly Sabbath. IOW, Paul was applying his principle broadly here.

The word itself, Sabbaton, refers to weekly sabbaths, according to Thayer. The word at root means "seven". I don't recall - were there yearly sabbaths every seven years?

• Winner
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Ellicott sees a progression here, from annual festivals, to monthly new moons, to the weekly Sabbath. IOW, Paul was applying his principle broadly here.

The word itself, Sabbaton, refers to weekly sabbaths, according to Thayer. The word at root means "seven". I don't recall - were there yearly sabbaths every seven years?
Yes, the land rest every seven years.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic

I like the progression spotted... interesting perspective..

• Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0