• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Russian Orthodox Leader Condemns Gay Marriages, Warns Of Apocalypse

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by rockytopva, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,861
    Catholic
    Single
    I must say, from the handeling of the members of the punk band PussyRiot and these new laws, and disputes over land
    it seems to Westerners that the Russian Government and the Russian Orthodox Church are very very close

2. united4Peace

united4Peace Contributor

+630
    Protestant
    Private
    Well...at least with fire and brimstone the snow may melt!! ^_^

3. GoingByzantine

GoingByzantine Seeking the Narrow Road Supporter

+1,061
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    It does seem that the government and the church are intertwined in many ways, but at least Putin supports christianity unlike the Soviets. Although I imagine that Byzantine Rite Catholicism is still suppressed because of the government.

4. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+24,826
    Anglican
    Married
    They both support(ed) the church so long as they were/are in control of it. The journalist Cathy Young summarized the current situation this way:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  5. GoingByzantine

GoingByzantine Seeking the Narrow Road Supporter

+1,061
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Albion, I cordially disagree. The Soviet Union was an atheist state that sought to extinguish religion of all types. Christians were killed, cathedrals torn down, and the church subjugated.

Under Putin the church does not need to live in fear, there is a big difference between a perceived christian dictatorship and an atheist dictatorship.

6. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+24,826
    Anglican
    Married
    That's fine...and I like cordiality.

All I see there is a matter of degree. It doesn't rebut anything I wrote or the author I cited.

In a way, however, I guess it agrees with your earlier comment that "Putin supports Christianity unlike the Soviets." Yes, he does support Christianity to some degree, and certainly more than during the Soviet era, but he--the old KGB atheist--does give his limited support only so far as the church is willing to dance to Putin's music (which it certainly does).

7. Mama Kidogo

Mama Kidogo Τίποτα νέο μυθιστόρημα τίποτα

+251
    Eastern Orthodox
    After reading the report, I'm almost laughing at the headline.
    The only words of that Patriarch quoted were, "is a dangerous and apocalyptic symptom". But the report concluded he meant the end is near like he was about to don a sign or dig a deep hole to hide in.
    It might do one good to look up the five various meanings of that word.
    Apocalyptic - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    From that report, I can't begin to say what he meant by apocalyptic symptom. But it was clear as to what the reporter was doing.