Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ukraine’s Orthodox clerics will gather for a meeting Saturday that is expected to form a new, independent Ukrainian church, and Ukrainian authorities have ramped up pressure on priests to support the move.
Um, no. Schismatics clerics will gather for a meeting. Orthodox clerics have repeatedly rejected forming an independent church.

Upvote 0

Reconciliation and Truth

Nov 4, 2018
Midwest
✟19,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
0e6c868fb6bbdc0ce5a76dc41c463af2-690x450.jpeg
In this file photo from Nov. 4, 2018, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Russian Orthodox Church Patriarch Kirill, left, walk to lay flowers at the monument of Minin and Pozharsky at Red Square in Moscow, during National Unity Day. The Russian Church said on Friday, Dec. 14, 2018, that Patriarch Kirill has sent a letter to the U.N. secretary-general, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Emmanuel Macron, Pope Francis, the Archbishop of Canterbury and other spiritual leaders, urging them to help protect the clerics, believers and their faith in Ukraine. (Credit: Alexander Nemenov/Pool Photo via AP.)
Quoted from the article:
I have never heard of any Roman Catholic Churches in Russia. I am thinking we do not have any. We have plenty of Russian Orthodox churches in the US. And No!, Vladimir, they do not need your 'protection'.

Are we safe to start building the Roman Catholic Church in Russia now? Do we have the protection and backing of President Vladimir Putin and Russian Orthodox Church leader Patriarch Krill, to do so? I am thinking we do not.

Maybe we can strike a deal. Let us start putting Roman Catholic Churches in Russia, with UN peace keeping forces to protect them, and we will put NATO, I mean, UN, Peace keeping forces in the Ukraine to protect the Russian Orthodox Church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
0e6c868fb6bbdc0ce5a76dc41c463af2-690x450.jpeg
In this file photo from Nov. 4, 2018, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Russian Orthodox Church Patriarch Kirill, left, walk to lay flowers at the monument of Minin and Pozharsky at Red Square in Moscow, during National Unity Day. The Russian Church said on Friday, Dec. 14, 2018, that Patriarch Kirill has sent a letter to the U.N. secretary-general, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Emmanuel Macron, Pope Francis, the Archbishop of Canterbury and other spiritual leaders, urging them to help protect the clerics, believers and their faith in Ukraine. (Credit: Alexander Nemenov/Pool Photo via AP.)
Quoted from the article:

I have never heard of any Roman Catholic Churches in Russia. I am thinking we do not have any.

Are we safe to start building the Roman Catholic Church in Russia now? Do we have the protection and backing of President Vladimir Putin and Russian Orthodox Church leader Patriarch Krill, to do so? I am thinking we do not.​
You would be right about that. The Russian Orthodox complain bitterly about the few Catholic parishes in Russia. It's their territory, they say. Catholics are invaders, they say. They don't like the Catholic churches in Ukraine either, thinking that when Stalin forced them to be Orthodox that was how it had to remain for ever. It's their territory there as well. But they can set up churches anywhere in the world and nobody complains. Double standard.

I don't get it that the Russian Orthodox now want the help of the pope when they have shunned the last several popes. Could it be that they so hate the patriarch of Constantinople that they want to enlist the pope against their new most hated person. We, as Catholics, should keep some distance, prayerfully, in hopes that they can get over it.

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You would be right about that. The Russian Orthodox complain bitterly about the few Catholic parishes in Russia. It's their territory, they say. Catholics are invaders, they say. They don't like the Catholic churches in Ukraine either, thinking that when Stalin forced them to be Orthodox that was how it had to remain for ever. It's their territory there as well. But they can set up churches anywhere in the world and nobody complains. Double standard.

I don't get it that the Russian Orthodox now want the help of the pope when they have shunned the last several popes. Could it be that they so hate the patriarch of Constantinople that they want to enlist the pope against their new most hated person. We, as Catholics, should keep some distance, prayerfully, in hopes that they can get over it.

When Pope Francis went to visit Patriarch Krill and Dictator Putin, he did not mention all the Russian atrocities committed in the Ukraine. This upset many Ukrainians. Maybe Patriarch Krill can give us an update on how his discussions with President Putin, about all the atrocities Russian committed in the Ukraine, is going.

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a, Ukrainian migrant to the US, friend. He says that a couple decades ago, Russian committed genocide of all the Ukrainians in Crimea, and replaced them with Russians. My friend says that the Russians can leave Crimea at anytime. There are Ukrainians who will take their places and live in the Nation Ukraine which Crimea belongs too.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have a, Ukrainian migrant to the US, friend. He says that a couple decades ago, Russian committed genocide of all the Ukrainians in Crimea, and replaced them with Russians. My friend says that the Russians can leave Crimea at anytime. There are Ukrainians who will take their places and live in the Nation Ukraine which Crimea belongs too.
Are you referring to the Stalinist genocide in Ukraine?

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is probably it. All I know is the tremendous pain in my Ukrainian freinds heart over it. It would have been nice for Pope Francis to have brought up the issue with President Putin to seek his sorrow and repentance to the Ukraine over such an injustice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
For Steven's benefit - I'll repost the opening post of a thread I started in TAW on 24 November

This is NOT a political post but one for prayers.

Today is the Holodomor Memorial Day when Ukrainians world wide remember the 5 million [ give or take a few million] who perished during 1932 and 1933 in Ukraine, because of the starvation that was enforced on them. Some did survive, many did not - and the numbers will never be known accurately. This action has now been accepted as an act of Genocide.

Ві́чная пам’ять !

No-one will ever know how many died - the estimates are between 3 and 10 million adults and children.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For Steven's benefit - I'll repost the opening post of a thread I started in TAW on 24 November

This is NOT a political post but one for prayers.

Today is the Holodomor Memorial Day when Ukrainians world wide remember the 5 million [ give or take a few million] who perished during 1932 and 1933 in Ukraine, because of the starvation that was enforced on them. Some did survive, many did not - and the numbers will never be known accurately. This action has now been accepted as an act of Genocide.

Ві́чная пам’ять !ow many died

No-one will ever know how many died - the estimates are between 3 and 10 million adults and children.
Dear Anhelyna,
My prayers and condolences for your loss from this atrocious atrocity.

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the Western world, heart felt sorrow and repentance is felt over the Holocaust, slavery and other atrocities committed by the Western world. How do today's, Russian Orthodox Christian, Russians, feel about Russia's atrocity, of causing the genocide of 3 to 10 million Ukrainians?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 10:29 The Parable of the Good Samaritan.
A priest happened to be going down that road, but when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side. Likewise a Levite came to the place, and when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side. But a Samaritan traveler who came upon him was moved with compassion at the sight. He approached the victim, poured oil and wine over his wounds and bandaged them. Then he lifted him up on his own animal, took him to an inn and cared for him. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper with the instruction, ‘Take care of him. If you spend more than what I have given you, I shall repay you on my way back.’ Which of these three, in your opinion, was neighbor to the robbers’ victim?” He answered, “The one who treated him with mercy.” Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

Since I was a young child, the Jewish Holocaust has been drilled into me as our darkest hour. In my fifties, I was very surprised when my Ukraine friend told me of a equal such horror, having occurred, in the same period in time, in the Ukraine.

I see Pope Francis and Russian Orthodox Church Patriarch Kirill, as the two Christian Church Leaders, in Jesus' 'Good Samaritan Parable', who must step to the other side of the street, in order to not see the holocaust which occurred in the Ukraine, on their way to a Christian celebration of Ecumenical unity. It is time for Jesus' 'Good Samaritan', the secular Western world, to step in and elevate the awareness of the holocaust of the Ukraine, to the equal level of the Holocaust of the Jewish people. The Western secular world will do this, simply because we are human beings.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Luke 10:29 The Parable of the Good Samaritan.
A priest happened to be going down that road, but when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side. Likewise a Levite came to the place, and when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side. But a Samaritan traveler who came upon him was moved with compassion at the sight. He approached the victim, poured oil and wine over his wounds and bandaged them. Then he lifted him up on his own animal, took him to an inn and cared for him. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper with the instruction, ‘Take care of him. If you spend more than what I have given you, I shall repay you on my way back.’ Which of these three, in your opinion, was neighbor to the robbers’ victim?” He answered, “The one who treated him with mercy.” Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

Since I was a young child, the Jewish Holocaust has been drilled into me as our darkest hour. In my fifties, I was very surprised when my Ukraine friend told me of a equal such horror, having occurred, in the same period in time, in the Ukraine.

I see Pope Francis and Russian Orthodox Church Patriarch Kirill, as the two Christian Church Leaders, in Jesus' 'Good Samaritan Parable', who must step to the other side of the street, in order to not see the holocaust which occurred in the Ukraine, on their way to a Christian celebration of Ecumenical unity. It is time for Jesus' 'Good Samaritan', the secular Western world, to step in and elevate the awareness of the holocaust of the Ukraine, to the equal level of the Holocaust of the Jewish people. The Western secular world will do this, simply because we are human beings.
The Catholic Church does not ignore the Holodomor, for those millions of Ukrainian citizens killed by Stalin's evil starvation policies were almost entirely Catholics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the Western world, heart felt sorrow and repentance is felt over the Holocaust, slavery and other atrocities committed by the Western world. How do today's, Russian Orthodox Christian, Russians, feel about Russia's atrocity, of causing the genocide of 3 to 10 million Ukrainians?
Seeing as millions of Russian Orthodox also died as martyrs under the satanic Communist regime, I'm not sure what sort of sorrow or repentance they should feel?

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seeing as millions of Russian Orthodox also died as martyrs under the satanic Communist regime, I'm not sure what sort of sorrow or repentance they should feel?

Hello Prodromos,
Plenty of people, other than the Jews, died under the satanic Nazi regime. The Jewish people got their nation back in 1949, due to world sympathy for their loss of six million, Jews in Nazi gas chambers.

Do you agree that President Putin should leave the Ukraine alone, out of sympathy for the 3 to ten million Ukraine people who suffered genocide by Stalin?

Our hearts still go out to the Jewish people over their losses in the Holocaust. Our hearts must now go out to the Ukrainian people who suffered similar losses tho Russian genocide. Would you agree?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello Prodromos,
Plenty of people, other than the Jews, died under the satanic Nazi regime. The Jewish people got their nation back in 1949, due to world sympathy for their loss of six million, Jews in Nazi gas chambers.

Do you agree that President Putin should leave the Ukraine alone, out of sympathy for the 3 to ten million Ukraine people who suffered genocide by Stalin?

Our hearts still go out to the Jewish people over their losses in the Holocaust. Our hearts must now go out to the Ukrainian people who suffered similar losses tho Russian genocide. Would you agree?
As long as you keep referring to it as Russian genocide, I cannot agree.

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Catholic Church does not ignore the Holodomor, for those millions of Ukrainian citizens killed by Stalin's evil starvation policies were almost entirely Catholics.

Report on Ukraine
But it’s hard to overstate the blow to Moscow. It would represent a huge loss of property and influence: Ukraine accounts for about a third of the more than 36,000 parishes under the Moscow Patriarchate. More important, it would further weaken the concept of the “Russian world,” a neo-imperialist ideology that both Putin and Moscow Patriarch Kirill have employed to enhance their authority and counter the West. For Kirill personally, it would be a big political loss.
Letter #69: Report on Ukraine - Inside The Vatican

Hello Chevy,
When Pope Francis visited President Putin and Russian Orthodox Church Patriarch Kirill, for the first time in a thousand years; How much of the discussion was on egos and politics, and how much was on prayer and repentance for the 3 to 10 million Ukrainians who suffered genocide from Russian aggression? I do not even think the genocide Russia inflicted on the Ukraine, a holocaust as great as the Holocaust of the Jews, was mentioned.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Report on Ukraine
But it’s hard to overstate the blow to Moscow. It would represent a huge loss of property and influence: Ukraine accounts for about a third of the more than 36,000 parishes under the Moscow Patriarchate. More important, it would further weaken the concept of the “Russian world,” a neo-imperialist ideology that both Putin and Moscow Patriarch Kirill have employed to enhance their authority and counter the West. For Kirill personally, it would be a big political loss.
Letter #69: Report on Ukraine - Inside The Vatican

Hello Chevy,
When Pope Francis visited President Putin and Russian Orthodox Church Patriarch Kirill, for the first time in a thousand years; How much of the discussion was on egos and politics, and how much was on prayer and repentance for the 3 to 10 million Ukrainians who suffered genocide from Russian aggression? I do not even think the genocide Russia inflicted on the Ukraine, a holocaust as great as the Holocaust of the Jews, was mentioned.

Upvote 0