Senior Veteran
Nov 21, 2004
✟17,687.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Holly3278 said:
It's still rather scary don't you think?
I'm sorry, I should have been more thoughtful in my response.

Iran pursuing a nuclear option is scary, North Korea pursuing a nuclear option is scary, Russia having nukes and a poorly trained military is scary, the political views of some in the U.S., both on the right and on the left are scary.

Stealth technology was a major advance in secret weapons but ultimately it isn't going to make us the ultimate military power. Whatever Russia has up its sleeve is likely to give military planners ulcers but not cause a major reshuffling in the power structure.

My opinion anyways,
Peace,
Robert

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Robert the Pilegrim said:
I'm sorry, I should have been more thoughtful in my response.

Iran pursuing a nuclear option is scary, North Korea pursuing a nuclear option is scary, Russia having nukes and a poorly trained military is scary, the political views of some in the U.S., both on the right and on the left are scary.

Stealth technology was a major advance in secret weapons but ultimately it isn't going to make us the ultimate military power. Whatever Russia has up its sleeve is likely to give military planners ulcers but not cause a major reshuffling in the power structure.

My opinion anyways,
Peace,
Robert

True but it still kind of creeps me out more than usual.

Upvote 0

Jon_

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
California
✟18,616.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Holly3278 said:

Don't worry, sister. This is a classic bluff on the part of the Russians. They used to do this all the time during the Cold War. It appears that they're still having trouble breaking old habits.

You have to use a bit of reverse thinking to decipher it, but it's pretty obvious that the Russians don't have much going for them and they know it. Think about how the U.S. treats secret programs. Do we hold press conferences proclaiming to everyone, "We're testing some great new secret weapons that will really kick some tail when they're done!" No, of course not. First, we don't need to engage in this kind of propaganda because we're on top. The Russians do, though. They've lost all kinds of respect. Second, if the Russians had anything to be proud of, you could rest assured that they would be trying to hide it. Why would you tell the world that you're conducting secret weapons programs? It's counter-intuitive. You would want to keep the programs secret, so as to prevent the world from finding out about it. When the U.S. began the Manhattan Project in WWII, did we brag to the world that we were creating a bomb that would vaporize everything in a five mile radius? No, we didn't.

So don't get too worked up. This kind of propaganda is a classic bluff on the part of the ex-Soviets. They see they are losing respect and relevance in the world stage and can't stand it. Russia will soon have to admit that their country just doesn't matter anymore.

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jon_ said:
Don't worry, sister. This is a classic bluff on the part of the Russians. They used to do this all the time during the Cold War. It appears that they're still having trouble breaking old habits.

You have to use a bit of reverse thinking to decipher it, but it's pretty obvious that the Russians don't have much going for them and they know it. Think about how the U.S. treats secret programs. Do we hold press conferences proclaiming to everyone, "We're testing some great new secret weapons that will really kick some tail when they're done!" No, of course not. First, we don't need to engage in this kind of propaganda because we're on top. The Russians do, though. They've lost all kinds of respect. Second, if the Russians had anything to be proud of, you could rest assured that they would be trying to hide it. Why would you tell the world that you're conducting secret weapons programs? It's counter-intuitive. You would want to keep the programs secret, so as to prevent the world from finding out about it. When the U.S. began the Manhattan Project in WWII, did we brag to the world that we were creating a bomb that would vaporize everything in a five mile radius? No, we didn't.

So don't get too worked up. This kind of propaganda is a classic bluff on the part of the ex-Soviets. They see they are losing respect and relevance in the world stage and can't stand it. Russia will soon have to admit that their country just doesn't matter anymore.

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

I do try not to worry but this is still pretty scary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.