Russia Protests, 'I want to live in a democratic state'!

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Russia's interior ministry says that about 3,500 people attended the protest in St Petersburg, and 500 were detained…In a call for people to join him on Monday, Mr Navalny wrote: "I want changes. I want to live in a modern democratic state and I want our taxes to be converted into roads, schools and hospitals, not into yachts, palaces and vineyards."(Russia protests: Hundreds detained at opposition rallies, BBC)
While President Trump is going through allegations of collusion and obstruction related to Russia, the nation is showing signs of disgust and outrage over corruption. Alexei Navalny was detained at his home ahead of the protests after organizing and encouraging them.

Your thoughts...

• Informative
Reactions: Shadow

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

And not all republics are created equal. A republic can be democratic, autocratic or a plutocratic kakistocracy, for example. Meanwhile, some of the world's most successful societies are constitutional monarchies.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
And not all republics are created equal. A republic can be democratic, autocratic or a plutocratic kakistocracy, for example. Meanwhile, some of the world's most successful societies are constitutional monarchies.
I agree.

I was speaking of concepts, not specific practices. I'd rather live in a pure republic than a pure democracy.

Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree.

I was speaking of concepts, not specific practices. I'd rather live in a pure republic than a pure democracy.
Constitutional Republics date back to antiquity, Plato's Republic was the ideal of such a government. There is actually no such thing as a pure deomcracy, the idea of democracy didn't appeal to the founding fathers who considered it 'mob rule'.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Putin's approval rating, according to the latest polls, is still in the eighties...

I don't know how much faith I'd put in that number. While there's no doubt that Putin is popular...he also runs a massive and pervasive propaganda campaign, and because of that claims about his approval rating need to be taken with a grain of salt.

There's also his tendency to assassinate journalists who write negative things about him...which certainly would be a motive for skewing his approval numbers.

I like to see the Russian people fighting for a more honest, legitimate, government of the people...but I don't think they can get it without bloodshed. Whenever a dictator (Putin is a dictator) is willing to use violence to ensure his rule, it's unlikely his rule will end unless his opposition is willing to use violence.

• Agree
Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know how much faith I'd put in that number. While there's no doubt that Putin is popular...he also runs a massive and pervasive propaganda campaign, and because of that claims about his approval rating need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Foreign polling agencies have found very similar results.

There's also his tendency to assassinate journalists who write negative things about him...

A baseless canard.

I like to see the Russian people fighting for a more honest, legitimate, government of the people...but I don't think they can get it without bloodshed.

They have, to a considerable extent. Corruption is Russia is pervasive, but he didn't cause it, he inherited it, and it was worse under Yeltsin. Back in 1993, Yeltsin even sent tanks to shell the Duma to force in to dissolve, with fairly sympathed coverage by the Western press...

...hard to imagine what the reaction would be if Putin did anything like that.

Who would you want to see in power in Russia, if not Putin? Zyuganov? Zhirinovsky? What do you think Putin's opposition will do? For every Russian who opposed the annexation of the Crimea, there are at least two who think that Putin is a coward for not sending tanks into Kiev. Appreciate Putin while he's still around - the next Russian president is bound to be even less to your liking.

Whenever a dictator (Putin is a dictator) is willing to use violence to ensure his rule, it's unlikely his rule will end unless his opposition is willing to use violence.

Ask the Chechens how that turned out for them...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Foreign polling agencies have found very similar results.

Link?

A baseless canard.

Only if you took Putin's word over our own CIA.

They have, to a considerable extent. Corruption is Russia is pervasive, but he didn't cause it, he inherited it, and it was worse under Yeltsin. Back in 1993, Yeltsin even sent tanks to shell the Duma to force in to dissolve, with fairly sympathed coverage by the Western press...

...hard to imagine what the reaction would be if Putin did anything like that.

Who would you want to see in power in Russia, if not Putin? Zyuganov? Zhirinovsky?

The Russian people.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Public Opinion in Russia: Russians’ Attitudes on Economic and Domestic Issues

6 charts showing how Russians see their country and the world

Only if you took Putin's word over our own CIA.

I believe evidence, and their simply is none to back up you assertion that Putin orders hits on journalists. Our President has already called out the press on this, and ultimately they were forced to admit that he was right.

Does Vladimir Putin kill journalists?

Overall, Trump is right that no one has proven Putin to have ordered assassinations of dissidents.

The Russian people.

...and we've already established who the Russian people support.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Fair enough.

I believe evidence, and their simply is none to back up you assertion that Putin orders hits on journalists. Our President has already called out the press on this, and ultimately they were forced to admit that he was right.

Does Vladimir Putin kill journalists?

You're right, there is no direct evidence linking Putin to the killings. I think it would be extremely naive to think that so many murdered journalists who have been critical of him is merely a coincidence. He's former KGB...and given that murder was considered little more than a political tool for them, I think it's certain he's killing journalists.

...and we've already established who the Russian people support.

Right. They live in a place where if they demonstrate against Putin, they get jailed. If they investigate his corruption...they get murdered. You'll understand if I find it difficult to believe they're being 100% honest, right? I mean, we could go into the heart of North Korea and do a poll of support for Kim Jong Un...and I bet it would come back as 101% support (he wouldn't be satisfied with a mere 100%) but I don't think that means that no one wants him gone.

Upvote 0