Midwest
✟160,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems unlikely to me that China has any interest in joining Russia's side on this. If they absolutely had to choose between the West and Russia, the West makes more sense--they have much better buying power.

But I don't think China wants to choose. I think they want to stay out of the conflict and avoid getting anyone angry so they can keep both Russia and the Western countries as trading partners.

Then again, I didn't think Putin would do a full attack on Ukraine. I thought at most he'd grab the Russia-leaning provinces and call it a day after that. So maybe I'm not so good at figuring these things out.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What many don't know is that Ukraine makes a lot of cutting edge, high value military hardware for Russia and exported to many other countries as well. Many of them are aircraft, aircraft engines/parts, and rocket / missile parts. Their products are highly competitive and rivals the world's best.

I supposed Putin wants those as they are actually critical to Russia's military might.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What many don't know is that Ukraine makes a lot of cutting edge, high value military hardware for Russia and exported to many other countries as well. Many of them are aircraft, aircraft engines/parts, and rocket / missile parts. Their products are highly competitive and rivals the world's best.

I supposed Putin wants those as they are actually critical to Russia's military might.
This explains the sudden escalation because I think it's inevitable Ukraine will be a part of the EU, then after that is the door to NATO. Putin sees this and wants to take control while Ukraine is still in his backyard because each step Ukraine takes is a step away from Russia and a step away from his control.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's pray this does not happen. This would be the beginning of World War III. Pray for peace.

Russia Asked China for Military and Economic Aid for Ukraine War, U.S. Officials Say

Russia Asked China for Military and Economic Aid for Ukraine War, U.S. Officials Say

All the top stations seemed to lead with this today. It seems clear that China is playing both sides and does not want to get involved in the actual conflict. They continue to trade with the Russians some of that trade might have a military value, I doubt if Putin would have phrased any requests as a cry for help. But the real fear here seems to be that they may somehow keep Russia afloat through all the sanctions. Biden wants China to pick a side and is using the naming and shaming theme to cajole them into that. But they will not pick a side, their minds are already made up.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have noticed the last two days - we live near a Military base - increased traffic flying above our house. They started a couple of days before the invasion, and then stopped completely. Then yesterday it started again, and we know many have deployed to Poland some weeks ago.

I hope China stays out of this personally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have noticed the last two days - we live near a Military base - increased traffic flying above our house. They started a couple of days before the invasion, and then stopped completely. Then yesterday it started again, and we know many have deployed to Poland some weeks ago.

I hope China stays out of this personally.
Military exercise and training come and go, I would not read much into it.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This explains the sudden escalation because I think it's inevitable Ukraine will be a part of the EU, then after that is the door to NATO. Putin sees this and wants to take control while Ukraine is still in his backyard because each step Ukraine takes is a step away from Russia and a step away from his control.

Yes, in addition, Putin likely doesn't want their Russian military and space tech becoming readily available to NATO since Ukraine develops and manufacture a substantial portion of it for Russia.

There were plans already by NATO to combine Russian and NATO tech in the near future if Ukraine was able to join NATO.

Not only NATO gains a "backdoor" to Russia if they add Ukraine, NATO will also be getting Russian tech in all it strengths and weaknesses. A major strategic blow to Russia if that happens.

Upvote 0

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟105,073.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's a question of whether China wants to keep Russia propped up and support that alliance, or if they want to remain a (the?) premiere business economy in the world. The vast majority of the world views Russia as the bad guy in this - does China really want to be seen as on their side? That's the real question. Does China want to pursue its own aggressions (Taiwan and such) or pursue its business interests?

Upvote 0

Ponderous Curmudgeon

Feb 20, 2021
Newfield
✟38,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes, in addition, Putin likely doesn't want their Russian military and space tech becoming readily available to NATO since Ukraine develops and manufacture a substantial portion of it for Russia.

There were plans already by NATO to combine Russian and NATO tech in the near future if Ukraine was able to join NATO.

Not only NATO gains a "backdoor" to Russia if they add Ukraine, NATO will also be getting Russian tech in all it strengths and weaknesses. A major strategic blow to Russia if that happens.
It would appear that thus far, Russian tech is an oxymoron.

Upvote 0

Ponderous Curmudgeon

Feb 20, 2021
Newfield
✟38,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Military exercise and training come and go, I would not read much into it.
Unless you were watching that which was occurring on the Ukraine's border. Were you?

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It would appear that thus far, Russian tech is an oxymoron.

Their tanks are agreeably crap. Poor coordination, poor training of crews, very low morale, winter. All the ingredients for humiliating defeat!^_^

But their hypersonic cruise missile tech is many years ahead of USA / NATO. More efficient rocket engines that CIA tried to buy some decades ago for NASA. And their best gas turbine engines for aircraft outperforms anything that NATO has. Some NATO countries previously tried to buy strategic airlifters from Ukraine. The only problem was the Russian avionics and converting to NATO specs would be tedious. If Ukraine joins NATO, it will open things up for more collaboration, like developing new hardware combining both Eastern and Western tech.

Upvote 0

Ponderous Curmudgeon

Feb 20, 2021
Newfield
✟38,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Their tanks are agreeably crap. Poor coordination, poor training of crews, very low morale, winter. All the ingredients for humiliating defeat!^_^

But their hypersonic cruise missile tech is many years ahead of USA / NATO. More efficient rocket engines that CIA tried to buy some decades ago for NASA. And their best gas turbine engines for aircraft outperforms anything that NATO has. Some NATO countries previously tried to buy strategic airlifters from Ukraine. The only problem was the Russian avionics and converting to NATO specs would be tedious. If Ukraine joins NATO, it will open things up for more collaboration, like developing new hardware combining both Eastern and Western tech.
Why should I think that Ukraine has Russia's newest tech?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why should I think that Ukraine has Russia's newest tech?

Just some, not all. They supplied Russia these products since the Cold War up until the war.

Ironically, their products are not whole weapon systems. They don't develop and manufacture whole weapon systems as far as I know. Aircraft and rocket engines for example, cargo planes. So they can't actually use those products to defend themselves during war.

They would remain critically important to NATO however because the performance levels of some of these engines are not available to NATO. It means higher speed, longer range, and greater payloads for NATO planes and space launch vehicles if they had them.

There were plans by NATO to buy / produce Ukrainian engines under license and convert them to NATO specs and electronic suite / avionics but would have required closer collaboration and most likely Ukraine needing to join NATO.

There's ofc contract between Ukraine and Russia concerning these products and Russia obviously would not like it if Ukraine starts collaborating with NATO concerning these products.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unless you were watching that which was occurring on the Ukraine's border. Were you?
Wasn't it strange how it was obvious exactly what was going on but no one wanted to accept it.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0