CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
:confused:

Wow, I'm pretty sure that's the first time anybody's said that about me. I'm almost tempted to report you for flaming. ;)

I'm basically arguing that Rush started out doing this act cynically but by living in his tiny echo chamber for 30 years, he inadvertently brainwashed himself, and that he really only appeals to old people who've experienced similar brainwashing over the last couple decades. His success is due not to actually selling his show to listeners, but to giving away his show for free and selling access to the listeners he hooked. His business model was the same as Facebook's, just 20 years sooner.

I agree with you. I just think you have too much faith in humanity, and faith in their intellect because you think a meaningful number of people even realize it is an act, let alone the other details.

It sounds flaming, which is why I said it wasn't a bad thing.

Upvote 0
H

HorsieJuice

I agree with you. I just think you have too much faith in humanity, and faith in their intellect because you think a meaningful number of people even realize it is an act, let alone the other details.

Oh, I don't think (m)any of the listeners think it's an act - they eat it right up. I just think that it's less of an act now than it used to be and that either way, that kind of act really only appeals to old people. Younger people listen to other stuff.

It sounds flaming, which is why I said it wasn't a bad thing.

I was joking. ;)

Upvote 0

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Oh, I don't think (m)any of the listeners think it's an act - they eat it right up. I just think that it's less of an act now than it used to be and that either way, that kind of act really only appeals to old people. Younger people listen to other stuff.

Lol... I don't think you quite get me so I will come out and say it.

just because YOU may be intelligent, and not ignorant doesn't mean the majority of people aren't - no matter how obvious it is to you, and how much you hope people aren't ignorant and unintelligent.

I was joking. ;)

I know you were, but anyone can press that red button with the exclamation point on it. After being called everything but a son of God on these forums, I cover all my bases. (Ironically, I have never reported anyone.)

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
To many, it is pointless, but to many, it's not. You have countries that have banned this movie, you have Rush having a hissy fit over a suggestion, and you have members on this board taking issue with it.

Race is not biologically real, but it is socially and politically constructed via law, public policy and social practices.

Here's a little unknown fact....whites are only white by laws also.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Law-Construction-University-Paperback/dp/0814751377
I've said this elsewhere, but most white folks I know, including myself, do not use our whiteness as a form of self identity. in fact the only white people who I've come across who care about being white are those white power lunatics.

Upvote 0
K

Kingsdotter

Rush Limbaugh Says Idris Elba Can't Play James Bond Because He's Black and Then Admits He's Racist | E! Online Canada

This isn't a thread to say that he's racist, that word applies to all races. This thread is to seek the opinion of his supporters that adamantly said he wasn't racist, and can't see the offence in what he says. Well right here, he slaps all of you that defended him in the face by admitting that his comment is racist.

I can easily show his hypocrisy when blackface was accepted by all, or the fact that John Wayne played an Indian when there were plenty around, etc. But let jump to our current time, and be aware that there are no American actors in any of the Harry Potter movies. Or the fact that Gods Of Egypt has an all white leading cast.

MY point is, when you try and hide the truth, many times it comes back to bite you.

Idris Elba is a good actor, no doubt he would do a good job if given the chance. Sadly, people like Rush can't judge a man's abilities beyond the barriers they have placed on the color of his skin

Upvote 0

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Idris Elba is a good actor, no doubt he would do a good job if given the chance. Sadly, people like Rush can't judge a man's abilities beyond the barriers they have placed on the color of his skin

I thought James Bond was supposed to be a dapper and almost regal Briton agent.

The UK has changed in look since Sean Connery was Bond; so it shouldn't be a problem Idris playing a Bond.

Upvote 0

seven2014

Dec 12, 2014
✟7,823.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I've said this elsewhere, but most white folks I know, including myself, do not use our whiteness as a form of self identity. in fact the only white people who I've come across who care about being white are those white power lunatics.

I agree...

I think the general population go about their day dealing with work, kids, etc. They are only reminded of their race when some idiot say, or does something that offends their particular race, like Rush has done.

We are being separated by class, which is rich and poor. A very good book to read if you can find it is call The Running Man. Not that drek they made a movie of, it didn't do the book any justice. But what in the book is what we are seeing now, a one world government, one form of money, and race will not be the thing that divides us, wealth is.

And the special police called hunters are used to keep it that way...

Upvote 0

seven2014

Dec 12, 2014
✟7,823.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I think any race can be a character that didn't actually exist. I think the person's ability, culture, experience, and a slew of other things can, and do show a character in a different light.

Take the Joker for example, I like Jack, but Imo, Keith's version is the best. I know people that are such a Nicholas fan, that they found issue with the one thing that set him apart, his makeup.

I liked the fact that his makeup wasn't pristine, but it's a perfect example how a person strayed from the norm and gave an excellent performance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I dislike Rush and disagree with him on a wide array of topics. This particular topic isn't one of them.

There are plenty of fictional characters who don't have a defined "race". I'm not of the opinion that James Bond is one of those characters. He is not simply "white", but a white Scotsman. Casting a black James Bond makes about as much sense to me as casting a white Shaft.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I dislike Rush and disagree with him on a wide array of topics. This particular topic isn't one of them.

There are plenty of fictional characters who don't have a defined "race". I'm not of the opinion that James Bond is one of those characters. He is not simply "white", but a white Scotsman. Casting a black James Bond makes about as much sense to me as casting a white Shaft.

Exactly. And I wouldn't call any black person racist if they got upset if they DID cast Shaft as white.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And it makes no sense to me to deny 95% of the roles in classic tales to people based on race. I guess this is just an "agree to disagree" thing

I don't think anyone is saying that.

I'd be perfectly okay with, say, a black cinderella. There's currently a black Annie.

Someone once asked me about a black Gatsby. THAT would be difficult, given the times of the piece. So in that respect it would be hard to justify having a black actor.

I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing to have Bond played by a black man. It's not the Bond I picture. What kills me is that someone MUST be racist to say it.

Upvote 0

BornAgainBrian

The Honourable Schoolboy
Dec 23, 2014
Wahiawa, HI
✟16,392.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'd be perfectly okay with, say, a black cinderella. There's currently a black Annie.

Someone once asked me about a black Gatsby. THAT would be difficult, given the times of the piece. So in that respect it would be hard to justify having a black actor.

I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing to have Bond played by a black man. It's not the Bond I picture. What kills me is that someone MUST be racist to say it.

I don't think the man racist for only this, but without knowing exactly, I'd imagine the people who say that are adding this incident to a number of others. That's just my guess though.

I don't know about Rush or anyone here, but I dislike racial privilege as a rule, so if there's any possibility to avoid it, I tend to prefer that option.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As much as I dislike Rush Limbaugh personally, I can't find a single thing he said wrong regarding the use and portrayal of a known white character created by Ian Fleming, and going by the name of Bond.....James Bond. His only mistake, that I can see, is saying afterword, "I know this is racist to say", because, well, it's not. It's simply a fact. I don't think movie folks ought to have the right to re-imagine characters of classic literature who were already described as being something. Anything. If that character is going to be used, than it should be an actor who looks as close as possible to the one created on the page. If the movie folks want a black agent on her Majesties secret service, then by gosh create one. Just don't steal someone else's original idea and turn it into something else. It's specifically NOT racist to say this, and Rush brought the racism moniker from the politically correct crowd upon him self by suggesting that it was.

There may be people, (I read a few posts in this thread) who disagree. Who believe that all characters of classic literature are up for grabs. So let's disagree or agree based on THAT premise. I don't see it as a race issue. As someone else posted, it would be just a much of a travesty if some movie folks wanted to re-imagine Shaft as a white man. It would be an insult to the creator of Shaft.

I'll take this further. When they finished shooting the last Ian Fleming book, then James Bond should have been off limits ANYWAY!! Of any race. The source material for their character was done. Want to do something else? Create your own character, and write some books, or make some movies with them.

I don't know. This whole thing seems like nonsense from a slow news day, and a way too touchy culture.

I'm out.

Peace to all.....
Enjoy the rest of Christmas, and God love you,
Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BornAgainBrian

The Honourable Schoolboy
Dec 23, 2014
Wahiawa, HI
✟16,392.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As much as I dislike Rush Limbaugh personally, I can't find a single thing he said wrong regarding the use and portrayal of the Scottish White character created by Ian Fleming, and going by the name of Bond.....James Bond. His only mistake, that I can see, is saying afterword, "I know this is racist to say", because, well, it's not. It's simply a fact. I don't think movie folks ought to have the right to re-imagine characters of classic literature. It's ridiculous. If they want a black agent on her Majesties secret service, then by gosh create one. Just don't steal someone else's original idea and turn it into something else. It's specifically NOT racist to say this, and Rush brought the racism moniker from the politically correct crowd upon him self by suggesting that it was. Why can't people just state their opinions, and either be agreed with, or not agreed with, and keep the name calling and racism and all that crud out of it. People are going to start being afraid to say anything on any subject which may even slightly be controversial in nature because the society is going to come unglued on a slow news day. It's getting patently ridiculous. We've gone off the rails as a people and a culture. This is plain nutty.

People are equally entitled to the opinion that denying people roles in a modernization of an old story simply because the story was originally written when racism was rampant is itself a racist denial. You're free to disagree, of course, but if Rush is entitled to his opinion, then so is everyone else.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
As much as I dislike Rush Limbaugh personally, I can't find a single thing he said wrong regarding the use and portrayal of the Scottish White character created by Ian Fleming, and going by the name of Bond.....James Bond. His only mistake, that I can see, is saying afterword, "I know this is racist to say", because, well, it's not. It's simply a fact. I don't think movie folks ought to have the right to re-imagine characters of classic literature. It's ridiculous. If they want a black agent on her Majesties secret service, then by gosh create one. Just don't steal someone else's original idea and turn it into something else. It's specifically NOT racist to say this, and Rush brought the racism moniker from the politically correct crowd upon him self by suggesting that it was. Why can't people just state their opinions, and either be agreed with, or not agreed with, and keep the name calling and racism and all that crud out of it. People are going to start being afraid to say anything on any subject which may even slightly be controversial in nature because the society is going to come unglued on a slow news day. It's getting patently ridiculous. We've gone off the rails as a people and a culture. This is plain nutty.

The issue is that people have already "stolen" Ian Fleming's original idea and turned it into something else -- Ian Fleming's been dead since 1964, and many other writers, producers, and directors have put James Bond in places Fleming never did.

Bond belongs to Eon Productions now... and if they wanted him black, Fleming couldn't object even if he was alive to do so.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship

I tend to agree with this. Like.. making a movie about Ben Franklin and making him asian just wouldn't make sense.

Upvote 0

BornAgainBrian

The Honourable Schoolboy
Dec 23, 2014
Wahiawa, HI
✟16,392.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tend to agree with this. Like.. making a movie about Ben Franklin and making him asian just wouldn't make sense.

Some of us feel that a real person is different from a fictional character in regard to portrayal.

Upvote 0