Rush Limbaugh arrested on prescription drug charges

Kornelius

Mar 11, 2004
✟15,299.00
Faith
Atheist
"What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too."
-- Rush Limbaugh

Can anybody say hypocrisy ?

Upvote 0

Kornelius

Mar 11, 2004
✟15,299.00
Faith
Atheist
Croc said:
Drugs should be legal and available. A drug like oxycontin can make your life worth living for people who suffer with vari9ous maladies which make them otherwise generally miserable.

However, it is an opioid, works in similar ways to heroin and is thus very addictive. So, seeing as he is batteling with the same kind of addiction heroin addicts are suffering from, one would think that he would be a little more judgmental about other people with similar problems.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
fraulinekitty said:
Ever been addicted?
Nope, I've never been addicted, I don't do drugs, never have, never will. I don't drink or smoke. I don't even drink coffee and soda (rarely). So no, I've never been addicted, but isn't that the point?

People can develop an addiction to a drug and it takes over; Limbaugh became a victim of something he claimed was so evil without even trying to understand drug abuse. I'm sure it's a hard thing to overcome, but his addiction has nothing to do with his hypocrisy and willfull ignorance in understanding drug addiction. He wants to be all law and order, but then suddenly skips to another fiddle when he's in trouble. I wonder if he'll be thanking the ACLU for coming to his defense?

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
SummerMadness said:
People can develop an addiction to a drug and it takes over; Limbaugh became a victim of something he claimed was so evil without even trying to understand drug abuse. I'm sure it's a hard thing to overcome, but his addiction has nothing to do with his hypocrisy and willfull ignorance in understanding drug addiction. He wants to be all law and order, but then suddenly skips to another fiddle when he's in trouble. I wonder if he'll be thanking the ACLU for coming to his defense?

notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif

It's funny how the Limbaugh legions choose to ignore that, which is yet just more hypocrisy layered on.

Upvote 0

fraulinekitty

Aug 25, 2005
Greece 2008 baby!!
✟2,533.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Apparently I choose to have more grace towards those addicted, no matter what political party they're associated with.

Congrats to those who've never smoked, drank, have been addicted to anything that can mess up your very soul. I could care less if you're liberal, conservative, whatever - it doesn't matter. I'll just leave it at that. :)

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
fraulinekitty said:
Apparently I choose to have more grace towards those addicted, no matter what political party they're associated with.

Congrats to those who've never smoked, drank, have been addicted to anything that can mess up your very soul. I could care less if you're liberal, conservative, whatever - it doesn't matter. I'll just leave it at that. :)
Most of us are for grace for drug addicts, I am fully behind any effort to get them off their dependency. That shouldn't stop people from ignoring the hypocrisy of those who disparage others while turning around and doing the same thing.

The real measure of grace will be seen in how many of Limbaugh's supporters respond to other drug addicts and users. Will they consider them to be immoral wretches, or will they wish for them to receive treatment without a jail sentence? I see people breaking their backs to define this situation as if Rush has not broken the law or been arrested; to me that seems like a desire to maintain their soapbox so they can continue to disparage drug abuse (except in the case of Mr. Limbaugh). When it's someone they know and like, suddenly it has to be different, suddenly it's "not the same" as those other users. I think people need to stop deluding themselves and understand, "You know what, Rush isn't any different than other drug users, and I like Rush, we should help all drug addicts to beat their addiction."

Drug abuse isn't pretty, and no one should be encouraged into that lifestyle. We as a society need to do more to treat those afflicted with addiction, hypocrites or non-hypocrites alike.

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
SummerMadness said:
Most of us are for grace for drug addicts, I am fully behind any effort to get them off their dependency. That shouldn't stop people from ignoring the hypocrisy of those who disparage others while turning around and doing the same thing.

The real measure of grace will be seen in how many of Limbaugh's supporters respond to other drug addicts and users. Will they consider them to be immoral wretches, or will they wish for them to receive treatment without a jail sentence? I see people breaking their backs to define this situation as if Rush has not broken the law or been arrested; to me that seems like a desire to maintain their soapbox so they can continue to disparage drug abuse (except in the case of Mr. Limbaugh). When it's someone they know and like, suddenly it has to be different, suddenly it's "not the same" as those other users. I think people need to stop deluding themselves and understand, "You know what, Rush isn't any different than other drug users, and I like Rush, we should help all drug addicts to beat their addiction."

Drug abuse isn't pretty, and no one should be encouraged into that lifestyle. We as a society need to do more to treat those afflicted with addiction, hypocrites or non-hypocrites alike.

:mad: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SummerMadness again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

jamesrwright3

mhatten said:
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif

It's funny how the Limbaugh legions choose to ignore that, which is yet just more hypocrisy layered on.

I don't see any hyporcrisy. If it weren't for his back problems and the pain they caused him, he would have never been on the stuff. He was taking them was because he was in alot of physical pain He was given the drugs by his doctor. It wasn't as if he didn't have any pain and was popping pills just to get high like some people do when they DONT have any physical ailments.

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
jamesrwright3 said:
I don't see any hyporcrisy. If it weren't for his back problems and the pain they caused him, he would have never been on the stuff. He was taking them was because he was in alot of physical pain He was given the drugs by his doctor. It wasn't as if he didn't have any pain and was popping pills just to get high like some people do when they DONT have any physical ailments.
Not to get high, it is never the less an addiction. I don't think the argument is being made that they were still required for his back pain, as Rush has mentioned that he tried to quit the addiction twice before.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

Doctrine1st said:
Not to get high, it is never the less an addiction. I don't think the argument is being made that they were still required for his back pain, as Rush has mentioned that he tried to quit the addiction twice before.

Well regardless, he was on them initially because of back pain. They were prescribed by his doctor. That is how he became addicted. Totally different situation than someone who had no physical ailment and just started to go out and get high for the sake of getting high.

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
jamesrwright3 said:
Well regardless, he was on them initially because of back pain. They were prescribed by his doctor. That is how he became addicted. Totally different situation than someone who had no physical ailment and just started to go out and get high for the sake of getting high.
It still does not make him better than anyone else who breaks the law to maintain their addiction. I wish him the best, but that is what I hope he takes from this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
jamesrwright3 said:
That's what I call justifying an action with an excuse. There are many drugs that are prescribed to people and then they develop an addiction to it. They are no different than other drug users who are always looking for a fix. Just because the drug can be obtained legally doesn't take away from the fact that the person is like any other drug user.

If legal drugs were illegal or the illegal drugs were legal, you'd see the same shift in crimes. If many of the pain killers out there were illegal, you'd have your cartels and your pushers all the same. Just because the pushers are real pharmacists as opposed to street pharmacists, that doesn't elevate the person behind the counter above the seller on the corner. Likewise, that doesn't elevate the user of the legal drug (obtained illegally) above the user of the illegal drug.

I'm sure Rush Limbaugh presents a moral quandary for people that like to disparage drug users, and they just can't figure out how to diffuse Limbaugh's actions. Of course this leads to long threads where people search for a silver lining by declaring that Limbaugh wasn't arrested or that a plea agreement doesn't exist. If thye do this, then they can go back to their status quo position of demonizing the merchants and users of drugs.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

That's what I call justifying an action with an excuse.

No it's called using logic and reason.

There are many drugs that are prescribed to people and then they develop an addiction to it. They are no different than other drug users who are always looking for a fix. Just because the drug can be obtained legally doesn't take away from the fact that the person is like any other drug user.

There is a big difference. If someone actually becomes addicted while under a doctors care, the person is less culpable than if someone is just out looking to get high for the fun of it. People trust their doctors to provide them with sound medical advice and good treatments. Would Limbaugh have become addicted if he hadn't had surgery and been under a doctors care? Probably not. He was also probably told by his doctor to TAKE THE DRUGS In the first place.

Likewise, that doesn't elevate the user of the legal drug (obtained illegally) above the user of the illegal drug.

All depends if the person became addicted while under a doctors care

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
jamesrwright3 said:
No it's called using logic and reason.

There is a big difference. If someone actually becomes addicted while under a doctors care, the person is less culpable than if someone is just out looking to get high for the fun of it. People trust their doctors to provide them with sound medical advice and good treatments. Would Limbaugh have become addicted if he hadn't had surgery and been under a doctors care? Probably not. He was also probably told by his doctor to TAKE THE DRUGS In the first place.

All depends if the person became addicted while under a doctors care

2 words: Doctor Shopping.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
jamesrwright3 said:
Four words: Irrelevant to the argument

So there is no connection between your argument that Limbaugh is less culpable because he was acting under the advice of his doctor and my point that Limbaugh looked around for doctors that would give him the advice he wanted?

Upvote 0