The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump said something during his press conference on Friday that disturbed me. More than one thing, actually, but this was a kind of stealth statement. I have not found any media talking about it as they seem to be focused on Comey and WH recordings. What Trump said hints at his view of himself and his position. He said that he wanted "to get back to running this great country." The President does not run the U.S. like a CEO runs a business or like a dictator runs a totalitarian regime. If he truly believes he runs the whole country, Trump has a very skewed and scary vision of who is and what his powers are. And it explains a lot about what he says, and of his frustrations at not being able to order everyone around and to make unilateral decisions.

One commentator did point out that abuse of power is as bad as obstruction of justice, but he did not appear to be referring to that particular statement.

Did anyone else pick up on that or have we become immune to the outrageous things that Trump constantly says?

• Haha
Reactions: brinny

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Trump said something during his press conference on Friday that disturbed me. More than one thing, actually, but this was a kind of stealth statement. I have not found any media talking about it as they seem to be focused on Comey and WH recordings. What Trump said hints at his view of himself and his position. He said that he wanted "to get back to running this great country." The President does not run the U.S. like a CEO runs a business or like a dictator runs a totalitarian regime. If he truly believes he runs the whole country, Trump has a very skewed and scary vision of who is and what his powers are. And it explains a lot about what he says, and of his frustrations at not being able to order everyone around and to make unilateral decisions.

One commentator did point out that abuse of power is as bad as obstruction of justice, but he did not appear to be referring to that particular statement.

Did anyone else pick up on that or have we become immune to the outrageous things that Trump constantly says?

The President of the United States DOES "run" the country. He is, in fact, Commander-in-Chief.

Is he not?

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a big fan of Trump... actually I really hate him and think he is an unprecedented danger to the country...

with that being said, I have zero problem with the President of the US saying "He needs to get back to running the country..."

One of the titles of the US President is "leader of the free world" so I have no problem with a lesser sentiment of 'running the country'

I think it is appropriate for any President to think of himself as CEO of America. That is not a bad analogy.

Let me be 100% clear here. The problem I have with Trump isn't that he is trying to run America like a business. That in and of itself is not a bad thing.

No.

The problem I have with Trump is that he is trying to run America like a horrifically BAD business.

If Sam Walton or Jack Welch where in the White House, things would be infinitely better. But they are not...

Basically, Trump is so bad that we do not need to use a microscope to find his errors... So something like this is a non-issue imo.

Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
I fail to see the issue. Perhaps you would be willing to explain why a statement such as "running this great country" would be objectionable? I know you gave an explanation, but I am finding it incredibly difficult to believe that you are actually bothered for the given reasons.

• Winner
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The President of the United States DOES "run" the country. He is, in fact, Commander-in-Chief.

Is he not?
He's commander in chief of the armed forces, not of the country. He runs the executive branch of the federal government, not the country. We are not his employees and we do not take orders from him (unless we're in the military or the executive branch).

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
He's commander in chief of the armed forces, not of the country. He runs the executive branch of the federal government, not the country. We are not his employees and we do not take orders from him (unless we're in the military or the executive branch).

LOL!

He IS the President of the United States.

Is he not?

Of COURSE a President "runs" the country.

^_^

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The President does not run the U.S. like a CEO runs a business or like a dictator runs a totalitarian regime. If he truly believes he runs the whole country, Trump has a very skewed and scary vision of who is and what his powers are. And it explains a lot about what he says, and of his frustrations at not being able to order everyone around and to make unilateral decisions.

No, but this is the attitude of every president. Technically, he is the CEO of the corporation called the United States of America. The US government is a dual government. Title 28 U.S. Code § 3002 states, ““United States” means— (A) a Federal corporation”. So when all our elected officials take office they sit in 2 seats: as representatives of the people and as agents of the corporation.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

It's a bad idea to parse every last word that the president speaks and try to find some dark interior message. Although the media like to do that, the fact remains that his so-called controversial statements are nothing more than the ordinary way that we Americans normally speak.

If he were a lawyer, probably he'd choose every word with exceptional care and vagueness, but that's not his background. This does not mean, however, that there's anything wrong with saying it the way we all would do if we were in his position at the microphone. Yes, we all do think and say that the chief executive "runs" things, even when we know that there are constitutional limitations, etc.

As they say, "there's no 'there' there." :)

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, but this is the attitude of every president. Technically, he is the CEO of the corporation called the United States of America. The US government is a dual government. Title 28 U.S. Code § 3002 states, ““United States” means— (A) a Federal corporation”. So when all our elected officials take office they sit in 2 seats: as representatives of the people and as agents of the corporation.
I don't believe that Trump's attitude about his job has been the attitude of every president. There have been presidents who saw themselves as a public servant of the people.

• Agree
Reactions: Martinius
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a bad idea to parse every last word that the president speaks and try to find some dark interior message. Although the media like to do that, the fact remains that his so-called controversial statements are nothing more than the ordinary way that we Americans normally speak.

If he were a lawyer, probably he'd choose every word with exceptional care and vagueness, but that's not his background. This does not mean, however, that there's anything wrong with saying it the way we all would do if we were in his position at the microphone. Yes, we all do think and say that the chief executive "runs" things, even when we know that there are constitutional limitations, etc.

As they say, "there's no 'there' there." :)
I basically agree with your statement, especially the second paragraph. However, I wouldn't say that all of his controversial statements are the norm but that this particular one is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe that Trump's attitude about his job has been the attitude of every president. There have been presidents who saw themselves as a public servant of the people.
Every president sees themselves as servants of the public, but what public are they seeing? People in Hollywood live incestuous lives of politics, religion and ethics and they think their movies reflect the public mores. I am sure Hillary Clinton still thinks she represents the public view even though her view is the corporate world. Nonetheless, they all know that they work in a corporation and many things that we cry outlandish are because they are responding to the corporate wishes.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I think the hoi polloi tend to speak loosely and use the phrase 'run the country' when talking about presidents. Trump is among them.

People who use phrases like hoi polloi know better.

I'm not inclined to ding him on this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Each country has their own leaders. Trump does not have control over what other countries do.

See post #11.

I asked, in response:

Are they (Congress and the SCOTUS) leaders of the free world?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you are incorrect.
That code does not say the United States IS a federal corporation. It says that within the context of that particular chapter (Title 28, etc.) when it says United States it is referring to any federal corporation, agency, department, etc. and any instrument that is part of the United States of America.
Quote from the code, "As used in this chapter:"
Otherwise we would have to say that the Unites States is a board, a commission, and instrument, etc.
(15) “United States” means—
(A) a Federal corporation;
(B) an agency, department, commission, board, or other entity of the United States; or
(C) an instrumentality of the United States.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
See post #11.

I asked, in response:

Are they (Congress and the SCOTUS) leaders of the free world?
Yes, they are also leaders of this nation that is the wealthiest and most powerful nation in the free world.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He IS the President of the United States.

Is he not?
Yes.
Of COURSE a President "runs" the country.
The president has certain powers enumerated in the Constitution. "Running the country" isn't one of them.

(And no, I wouldn't ding him for this either. I think he's a horrible president and a badly damaged human being, but describing his job inexactly is not one of his major sins.)

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is he not?
Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces. That is NOT running the country, which he would dearly love to do.

• Haha
Upvote 0