Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,073,277.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Precisely...although being in SoCal makes me celebrating on the wrong day no matter what I do, and being without family or synagogue it's just another Shabbat to me...still, I think I will go look at the moon before I do anything.

Hebcal is wonderful for giving me a time each week to aim for, but I go by the two or three stars method...I am not fond of eating before it gets dark since there is no one to play with. Chag Sameach.
You might want to check out an online, live, Messianic Sabbath service. We are told to gather with others on the Sabbath, but it can be hard if you are Messianic, as it is for me, since Messianics in some areas are very rare.

The service I watch is in the link below. I like to set it so that I am literally watching it at the same time as the participants. Then I make a comment or two in the live chat, and agree to pray over some chat from people who need prayers, so that I am joint participating in another way.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAsTFsdNE1QUU9pfcgi6oeA

I don't agree with their use of the name Yahweh, and believe it is Yahuah, and prefer the longer name Yahushuah to their shortened version of Yahshuah, but hey, no one is perfect, including me. It seems that in the Synagogues, where Messiah and the early believers went, that they didn't do everything strictly according to the Word, either, but He and they went to the Synagogues anyway.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,073,277.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
But it is Jerusalem time that matters in those things..
I am finding that it is very confusing to know which days are the truly high holy days sometimes and am interested in what you have to say. Please give me some links that demonstrate why you think your point of view is correct. In the meantime, I sounded the shofar, on You Tube, yesterday and today to be on the safe side. I don't have to do any "servile work" on either day, so that works out too.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not to derail but according to Exodus 12 the new year starts on Passover. Why does Judaism claim Yom Teruah as the "head of the year?"
Judaism has several different New Years. Yom Teruah signifies the anniversary of the creation of the world according to tradition.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,073,277.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Not to derail but according to Exodus 12 the new year starts on Passover. Why does Judaism claim Yom Teruah as the "head of the year?"
You are absolutely right. Judaism claims Yom Teurah as the New Year for the same reason that the western world claims Jan. 1 as the New Year, of course. Traditions of men.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

No, it does not start on Pesakh, it starts at the beginning of the month of nisan. One is the beginning of the civil year while the other is the beginning of the religious year.

Upvote 0