Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do Messianics do anything special for Rosh Chodesh Elul? I don't attend a Messianic synagogue because there are none anywhere near me so I don't know.

Is it the first day of blowing the shofar? Do they blow the shofar in Messianic synagogues during Elul?

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do Messianics do anything special for Rosh Chodesh Elul? I don't attend a Messianic synagogue because there are none anywhere near me so I don't know.
The custom of Rosh Chodesh Elul apparently had no special tradition in the TaNaKh or in early Rabbinic writings. Rosh Chodesh Elul customs became established well into the first millennium (e.g. Rashi, Rabbi Judah Loew of Prague and others) that designated Elul as the time to prepare for the High Holy Days (not to say this thinking didn't exist previously).

"Because these days are filled with so much meaning and potency, they require a special measure of readiness. All the month of Elul, before eating and sleeping, a person should search his soul and his deeds, that he may make confession.”
(Rabbi Judah Loew, 1525-1609)​

Is it the first day of blowing the shofar? Do they blow the shofar in Messianic synagogues during Elul?
"Most of us are used to hearing the shofar during the months of Elul and Tishrei only, when in fact, in the past; the use of the shofar was far more commonplace."

Found this following link to be most interesting ... http://www.shofarcall.com/teaching---how---when--where.html ... This link is more representative of the Jewish Roots of Christianity (e.g. Dr. Michael Brown, Pastor Larry Huch and others); however it shouldn't be offensive to Messianic Judaism. If any one believes any of the information in this link isn't accurate please let us know ... Thanks

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some do, the MJ synagogue I attend sometimes did not. Beth Immanuel in WI, where I am a virtual member did.

• Informative
Reactions: chunkofcoal
Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The custom of Rosh Chodesh Elul apparently had no special tradition in the TaNaKh or in early Rabbinic writings. Rosh Chodesh Elul customs became established well into the first millennium (e.g. Rashi, Rabbi Judah Loew of Prague and others) that designated Elul as the time to prepare for the High Holy Days (not to say this thinking didn't exist previously).

"Because these days are filled with so much meaning and potency, they require a special measure of readiness. All the month of Elul, before eating and sleeping, a person should search his soul and his deeds, that he may make confession.”
(Rabbi Judah Loew, 1525-1609)​

"Most of us are used to hearing the shofar during the months of Elul and Tishrei only, when in fact, in the past; the use of the shofar was far more commonplace."

Found this following link to be most interesting ... http://www.shofarcall.com/teaching---how---when--where.html ... This link is more representative of the Jewish Roots of Christianity (e.g. Dr. Michael Brown, Pastor Larry Huch and others); however it shouldn't be offensive to Messianic Judaism. If any one believes any of the information in this link isn't accurate please let us know ... Thanks

Thank you, AbbaLove.

• Friendly
Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian