✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've heard that it's fine for Christians to pray with rosary beads
and to wear Mary's Miraculous Medallion, and I think I'm going to.
I don't pray TO Her or angels, only God.
I can talk to Mary and angels though, am I right?

What about praying the rosary? Is that okay?

Reciting prayers seem less sincere to me. Does it matter?

(I did a search of this forum and didn't find anything)

JAYPT

Nov 30, 2018
Western
✟19,563.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed

Can I ask why? Just trying to establish where you might be coming from.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

There is an angel standing right next to you.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Heb 1:14 - Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?

Ask him to intercede for you.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Kenyon Ledford

Mar 1, 2019
Parts Unknown
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How on earth is an angel supposed to minister for us if he can't hear?
Yes, I believe we can ask angels to intercede or take our prayers to God, although he already hears them directly.

• Prayers
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

Kenyon Ledford

Mar 1, 2019
Parts Unknown
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can I ask why? Just trying to establish where you might be coming from.
The host of "Touched by Heaven" was talking about it. He's Catholic, but always talks about
the rosary and how powerful it is to use it, and the medalian, in prayer. He says it's like adding
an extra oomph to your prayers and it's perfectly fine for Christians to use them as well.

• Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

JAYPT

Nov 30, 2018
Western
✟19,563.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, I believe we can ask angels to intercede or take our prayers to God, although he already hears them directly.

Taking your prayers where exactly? Holy Spirit lives in you, where exactly are the prayers going? Scripture says the Holy Spirit prays for us, why would you need an angel when you have the trinity?

Upvote 0

JAYPT

Nov 30, 2018
Western
✟19,563.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The host of "Touched by Heaven" was talking about it. He's Catholic, but always talks about
the rosary and how powerful it is to use it, and the medalian, in prayer. He says it's like adding
an extra oomph to your prayers and it's perfectly fine for Christians to use them as well.

God is not powerful enough to hear your prayer?

Upvote 0

Kenyon Ledford

Mar 1, 2019
Parts Unknown
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe you can ask Angels to speak to God for you, even though He hears you directly. Using your logic, I would ask why God gives us angels, is He not powerful enough for us? Do you see what I mean?

Upvote 0

JAYPT

Nov 30, 2018
Western
✟19,563.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe you can ask Angels to speak to God for you, even though He hears you directly. Using your logic, I would ask why God gives us angels, is He not powerful enough for us? Do you see what I mean?

Why does it need to be about us? Were the angels not created before us to serve God? Thats my logic. Again why do angels need to speak to something that lives inside of you? Just curious. Again I will ask, where are your prayers going to exactly?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

You will get different answers from different Christians on CF. Many Catholic Christians find the rosary to be an important part of their devotional life. You might ask the participants in the Catholic forum (One Bread, One Body - Catholic) to tell you what the rosary means to them. (Don't debate in that forum; just listen to what the Catholic Christians there have to tell you.)

Some Christians do not use the rosary at all, because they are uncomfortable with the words of the "Hail Mary" prayer. You will have to decide for yourself whether that prayer is one that you are comfortable offering.

Some Christians use prayer beads that are similar to the rosary, but use different prayers. Often, these are Christians that like the general approach of repetitive, meditative prayer but are uncomfortable with Marian devotion. If you ask in the Anglican forum (Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic), you'll probably find some Christians who take this approach.

Do what brings you closer to God. Mary was the person in whose body the Incarnation began, and who taught our Lord as a child and raised him to adulthood. If you find it helpful to include her in your devotions, then do so.

On the idea that reciting prayers isn't sincere: My experience of praying in a repetitive way with beads is that it's a form of meditation for me. The words give my verbal center something to do, keeping it occupied so that it doesn't wander off into thinking about lunch or my unfinished homework; and while my verbal center is doing that, my spirit settles into a meditation on an event in Jesus' life or on some aspect of God's creative presence in the world. So it's a different kind of prayer experience than, say, praying for a sick friend. I don't know whether praying with beads is a similar experience for other Christians; perhaps others can share their experiences.

And, by the way, welcome to CF! :wave:

Upvote 0

Kenyon Ledford

Mar 1, 2019
Parts Unknown
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why does it need to be about us? Were the angels not created before us to serve God? Thats my logic. Again why do angels need to speak to something that lives inside of you? Just curious. Again I will ask, where are your prayers going to exactly?

God hears all my prayers. Again, why do we have angels? God sends them down to help us, would you agree? I don't want to ignore them.

Upvote 0

Kenyon Ledford

Mar 1, 2019
Parts Unknown
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You will get different answers from different Christians on CF. Many Catholic Christians find the rosary to be an important part of their devotional life. You might ask the participants in the Catholic forum (One Bread, One Body - Catholic) to tell you what the rosary means to them. (Don't debate in that forum; just listen to what the Catholic Christians there have to tell you.)

Some Christians do not use the rosary at all, because they are uncomfortable with the words of the "Hail Mary" prayer. You will have to decide for yourself whether that prayer is one that you are comfortable offering.

Some Christians use prayer beads that are similar to the rosary, but use different prayers. Often, these are Christians that like the general approach of repetitive, meditative prayer but are uncomfortable with Marian devotion. If you ask in the Anglican forum (Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic), you'll probably find some Christians who take this approach.

Do what brings you closer to God. Mary was the person in whose body the Incarnation began, and who taught our Lord as a child and raised him to adulthood. If you find it helpful to include her in your devotions, then do so.

On the idea that reciting prayers isn't sincere: My experience of praying in a repetitive way with beads is that it's a form of meditation for me. The words give my verbal center something to do, keeping it occupied so that it doesn't wander off into thinking about lunch or my unfinished homework; and while my verbal center is doing that, my spirit settles into a meditation on an event in Jesus' life or on some aspect of God's creative presence in the world. So it's a different kind of prayer experience than, say, praying for a sick friend. I don't know whether praying with beads is a similar experience for other Christians; perhaps others can share their experiences.

And, by the way, welcome to CF! :wave:
Excellent, thank you! That's a good idea to...lurk in the Catholic forum. Your last paragraph I now remember is exactly what the host of "Touched by Heaven" said. Reciting kept him focused and meditative on God, and didn't allow his mind to wander.

I guess I'll find out if any of the Rosary prayers are direct prayers to anyone other than God. Yes, being closer to God is what I try to do.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

JAYPT

Nov 30, 2018
Western
✟19,563.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
God hears all my prayers. Again, why do we have angels? God sends them down to help us, would you agree? I don't want to ignore them.

You know I would agree they may help us and I am thankful to God for them, but there is very little in scripture about them and what they do from day to day. I think that thinking we know would be a mistake. I would say that it would be more important to show the Holy Spirit the attention we could instead of worrying about a created being.

Upvote 0

JAYPT

Nov 30, 2018
Western
✟19,563.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Excellent, thank you! That's a good idea to...lurk in the Catholic forum. Your last paragraph I now remember is exactly what the host of "Touched by Heaven" said. Reciting kept him focused and meditative on God, and didn't allow his mind to wander.

I guess I'll find out if any of the Rosary prayers are direct prayers to anyone other than God. Yes, being closer to God is what I try to do.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

Youre already close, He lives in you, you cant get away and you are not going to get any closer :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I don't see any specific problem with praying with some sort of method for praying....

I will say that I try and talk to G-d, while with honor and respect, but also as a person. We call G-d our father. Would your father like you to chant at him? Or have a conversation with him?

So I'm always hesitant to start using 'defined prayers'. Like chant this prayer to G-d. If your friends chanted at you, that would be cool for a few minutes, but eventually you would kind of like them to talk with you.

I don't like the "Mary's Miraculous Medallion". That sounds more like idol worship to me.

If you read your old testament, the Israelites had to break down and throw away the bronze serpent on the staff, that Moses made to save the Israelites from the fiery snakes.

The problem was, that stupid staff with the bronze snake, became an idol itself, instead of a worshiping G-d who gave the staff and snake significance. It is a very slippery slope from using that staff to praise G-d, to starting to praise the staff.

So when you say things like "miraculous medallion", that is a big massive red flag for me. There is absolutely nothing in my Bible about Mary having a medallion, nor having any miraculous object, and nor should there be any engraved image we should be praying with.

And why it would matter if Mary has such a thing is beyond me anyway. Mary was sinner, not a virgin. And Mary is dead. There is no point in praying G-d is with her, because she's dead now. We need to pray more that G-d be with us, and we are with G-d, than some dead girl.

We will all meet Mary someday in Heaven. She doesn't need our prayers. The lost people here, need prayers.

But if some beads help you pray, knock yourself out.

Upvote 0

Kenyon Ledford

Mar 1, 2019
Parts Unknown
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see any specific problem with praying with some sort of method for praying....

I will say that I try and talk to G-d, while with honor and respect, but also as a person. We call G-d our father. Would your father like you to chant at him? Or have a conversation with him?

So I'm always hesitant to start using 'defined prayers'. Like chant this prayer to G-d. If your friends chanted at you, that would be cool for a few minutes, but eventually you would kind of like them to talk with you.

I don't like the "Mary's Miraculous Medallion". That sounds more like idol worship to me.

If you read your old testament, the Israelites had to break down and throw away the bronze serpent on the staff, that Moses made to save the Israelites from the fiery snakes.

The problem was, that stupid staff with the bronze snake, became an idol itself, instead of a worshiping G-d who gave the staff and snake significance. It is a very slippery slope from using that staff to praise G-d, to starting to praise the staff.

So when you say things like "miraculous medallion", that is a big massive red flag for me. There is absolutely nothing in my Bible about Mary having a medallion, nor having any miraculous object, and nor should there be any engraved image we should be praying with.

And why it would matter if Mary has such a thing is beyond me anyway. Mary was sinner, not a virgin. And Mary is dead. There is no point in praying G-d is with her, because she's dead now. We need to pray more that G-d be with us, and we are with G-d, than some dead girl.

We will all meet Mary someday in Heaven. She doesn't need our prayers. The lost people here, need prayers.

But if some beads help you pray, knock yourself out.

Yes, we do call God our Father, but he could handle some chanting I'm pretty sure.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.