DoubtingThomas29

Mar 4, 2007
✟9,402.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I feel that Ronald Regan was a very good president. That he helped end the cold war that is great really. I believe though the new generations of young people want a government that provides social services for all its citizens. The young people do not see government as the problem but a viable solution now a days to all that has gone wrong. That Jeb Bush the former governor of Florida even said that "the republican party needs to stop looking back at the days of Regan and look forward." I think he is right about that, maybe big government is a necessity in this day and age?

By the way I saw a book put together titled "Regan's diary's entries," or something like that you can read his diary now if you want, I think it has the entries in there from the Iran Contra affair, should be pretty interesting.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I take a middle ground. At least regarding health insurance. Government should provide the framework through which the private sector can make health insurance (not health care) universally available. It can mandate that everyone have coverage. And it should provide regulation and oversight of health insurance in the public interest. Much like state governments oversee private untility companies.

Personally, I'd like to see private investment vehicles like 401Ks, 403(b)s, etc. eventually take over for SS. But that's never gonna happen. Government will always be the provider of last resort of old-age pensions, and disability.

Upvote 0

JediMobius

The Guy with the Face
Jan 12, 2006
Beer City, Michigan
✟10,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I take a middle ground. At least regarding health insurance. Government should provide the framework through which the private sector can make health insurance (not health care) universally available. It can mandate that everyone have coverage. And it should provide regulation and oversight of health insurance in the public interest. Much like state governments oversee private untility companies.

That seems reasonable.

Personally, I'd like to see private investment vehicles like 401Ks, 403(b)s, etc. eventually take over for SS. But that's never gonna happen. Government will always be the provider of last resort of old-age pensions, and disability.

Really? Never? Not even when the ratio of elderly population to workforce population grows and burdens the SS system? The economy would be in crisis. It will likely happen this century that the global and US birthrates fall under the level of 2.7 or so that would keep the population at level.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Really? Never? Not even when the ratio of elderly population to workforce population grows and burdens the SS system? The economy would be in crisis. It will likely happen this century that the global and US birthrates fall under the level of 2.7 or so that would keep the population at level.

The US is actually at right about 2.1 right now, which iirc is the minimum replacement rate for population. Most European countries are at less than that.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The US is actually at right about 2.1 right now, which iirc is the minimum replacement rate for population. Most European countries are at less than that.

Yes, but due to immigration the US is among the fastest growing indsutrialized nations. Population is expected to top 400 million by 2040.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gazelle
Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe though the new generations of young people want a government that provides social services for all its citizens.

Nothing new about that. Most young people feel that way because it feels good. It makes them feel like they care for others who are less fortunate. Eventually though, usually as soon as they have to grow up and start earnign their own way in the world, they realize the impossibility of what it is that they used to want.

In terms of social services it is my opinion, and that of the majority of Repubs/Conservatives that I know, that there needs to be a basic level of EMERGENCY services provided by the government. A safety net so to speak to help those who, through no fault of their own, have become unable to support themselves. But I think that in many ways the level of service we have now goes beyond that, even though the safety net type programs we do have have a very mixed track record. Some work fairly well and others are dismal failures. I also VERY strongly believe that such programs need to be(with few exceptions) primarily a State and local government function. The "one size fits all" mentality that a federal program carries with it only reduces how well such a program can possibly work.

Reactions: JediMobius
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
K

Kharak

It is a relief to see there are still people who do not resort to the ends of an imaginary spectrum to determine intelligent government. Absolute capitalist anarchy and communist Eden do not exist, and we should not even think for a minute that the extremism of either is preferable to a sensible solution.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is a relief to see there are still people who do not resort to the ends of an imaginary spectrum to determine intelligent government. Absolute capitalist anarchy and communist Eden do not exist, and we should not even think for a minute that the extremism of either is preferable to a sensible solution.

Bah. Just shoot everyone now and save the trouble later. Then the government won't have any problems. :cool:

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've never seen a volunteer for a field execution...

Are you sure you would rather not just serve indefinitely for the glory of the God Emperor instead? I heard the Imperial Guard is hiring!

No. I'm one of the henchmen. I get to shoot everyone.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I feel that Ronald Regan was a very good president. That he helped end the cold war that is great really. I believe though the new generations of young people want a government that provides social services for all its citizens. The young people do not see government as the problem but a viable solution now a days to all that has gone wrong. That Jeb Bush the former governor of Florida even said that "the republican party needs to stop looking back at the days of Regan and look forward." I think he is right about that, maybe big government is a necessity in this day and age?
I disagree with that. I agree with Rush's assessment a few months ago. Why should the Republicans give up on the principles of Reagan when the Democrats never gave up on the principles of FDR? When did a prominent Democrat suggest during the times the Democrats took some licks that the era of FDR was over and that the party should become more conservative?

The problem with the Republicans the last 8 years is that they acted too much like Democrats. That's why so many of us stayed home or voted third party. The party got itself into this mess by abandoning conservative principles, and it won't help itself by abandoning conservative principles.

Government already does provide the framework, through regulation. Unfortunately, the framework it set up became outdated because people generally don't work at the same company for 30-40 years anymore.

It won't happen because the elderly are some of the best voters in the country, many more of them turn out than young folks such as myself. And politicians don't want to be put out of a job. It is a sad thing that many Republicans would not want to touch SS reform, even though they knew it was needed, in 2005 - and they got voted out anyway. The least they could have done was get the system back to solvency and reduce the financial burden I'm going to face in my lifetime on their way out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
06_01_04_Remembering_Reagan.jpg

Reagan was the worst President in at least half a century. He supported tyrants around the world (although most American presidents have) and sold off our country to the rich.

Upvote 0

overit

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
✟17,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
06_01_04_Remembering_Reagan.jpg

Reagan was the worst President in at least half a century. He supported tyrants around the world (although most American presidents have) and sold off our country to the rich.

LOL-agreed...not to mention the start of super-capitalism and teaching us all the greed is good....bahhhh

Upvote 0

voiceofsoul

Nov 13, 2006
the ass of nowhere
✟8,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ray-gun is my favorite president! I used to loathe him when I was a young, naive liberal, lol!

I'd like to see the Republicans bring back Reagan's fiscal policies and mix in some isolationist ideas regarding foreign policy and national sovereignty. Bush was all about doing favors for corporations and trashed the party's libertarian principles. It's time to stop championing conservative populism--it only makes the party look hypocritical and out-dated. Start taking pages from the books of guys like Ron Paul and Patrick Buchanan. Republicans can re-position themselves as the D.I.Y./rebel individualism opposition party to appeal to a new generation of lassiz-faire Americans who don't want to get on the Obama liberal-populist wagon.

Upvote 0

voiceofsoul

Nov 13, 2006
the ass of nowhere
✟8,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Reagan's fiscal policies where horrible and are the reason why we have such a huge debt! If it weren’t for him, our debt would likely still be only 2 trillion.

No, his fiscal policies were sound. Less taxes and less government. Unfortunately, he had a lot of Democrats and liberal Republicans (i.e. Jim Jeffords) that wouldn't allow him to cut federal spending as much as he needed to. For example, Reagan tried to shut down the unconstitutional department of education, but congress wouldn't let him.

Upvote 0