Not open for further replies.

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I sympathize with your position to a great degree as it represents my own view on things up until about two years ago. However, people whose businesses are probably a good bit further up the food chain than yours have a more symbiotic than antagonistic relationship with the government and the banks in my opinion. The two working together are as happy to crush you as they are to crush your employees. It's all grist for the mill to them.

If you look hard at the banking issue, the function of limited liability, and the function of intellectual property taken together, what you find is a slightly more complicated equivalent to feudalism, with a much less stringently defined duty of the corporate lords to their tenants and vassals.

Obviously all of that is a load of pure opinion on my part. I'm not up to documenting it as I have some 170+ books on my list to read just to get a real grasp on how the economy progressed FROM feudalism TO mercantilism, let alone to modern capitalism, and even to what extent these definitions truly hold any water. I -can- tell you I am not all alone by myself in holding this viewpoint though that precious little has actually changed over the years except the degree to which general human knowledge has made all of our lives more comfortable.

And that, at least, is something.

a lot of what you wrote, I agree with. Its all whats good for ME!!!! But even so, I still have a burden upon myself to vote. I feel that in every election we are voting for the lesser of the two evils because there are no perfect people. when I look at the weightier issues of economy, debt, life marriage and religious liberty. As a Christian I am reminded that we are called upon to be the" light of the world". and also reminded of Dietrich Bonhoeffer- Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
god is morality..... morality is defined by whatever that god is and whatever that god does

So is something moral because God said it's moral.... or is something moral because it's moral, and God is just relaying on that information to us?

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,231.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
a lot of what you wrote, I agree with. Its all whats good for ME!!!! But even so, I still have a burden upon myself to vote. I feel that in every election we are voting for the lesser of the two evils because there are no perfect people. when I look at the weightier issues of economy, debt, life marriage and religious liberty. As a Christian I am reminded that we are called upon to be the" light of the world". and also reminded of Dietrich Bonhoeffer- Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.

You have more than two choices. Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate, will probably be on the ballot where you live. He's a Lutheran.. so he's a Christian. Like Obama. Unlike Romney, who's "religion" believes that the god you believe in was a mortal man living on another planet who evolved into a god. They also believe that you can be a god too.

I seriously don't understand how any Christian can vote for Romney given that their are more choices. When I was a Christian I wouldn't have even considered voting for a Mormon.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
55 Facts About The Debt And U.S. Government Finances That Every American Voter Should Know

Take a look at these stats and tell me we don't need to kick Obama out and try someone new!

A lot of those situations are unchanged from the Bush years.... the problem with your line of thought is that you're looking at it like Obama came in with a neutral economy and this is the result.

He was elected when the economy was in freefall, and unemployment was skyrocketing. Of course the deficit is going to climb, welfare numbers will rise and the debt will increase. That's a no brainer, you can't simply reverse a collapsing economy overnight.

Anyone who studies politics knows it takes 4-5 years for policies to start to take noticeable effect on an economy. It takes time to implement new ideas, get the legislation passed, and then see the results.

What we are now seeing towards the end of his first term is unemployment dropping and the economy showing signs of recovery. It's still in rough shape, however the policies are starting to take effect, and are starting to pay off.

I am no democrat, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Things are starting to turn around. Furthermore, the republicans clearly are not yet ready to govern, therefore I say let Obama finish what he's started.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
stuff is only moral because God said so and Romney hates enlarging government

So morality is subjective then? What if God told you to kill someone, is that moral?

As for Romney, where did you get your information?

Upvote 0

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You have more than two choices. Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate, will probably be on the ballot where you live. He's a Lutheran.. so he's a Christian. Like Obama. Unlike Romney, who's "religion" believes that the god you believe in was a mortal man living on another planet who evolved into a god. They also believe that you can be a god too.

I seriously don't understand how any Christian can vote for Romney given that their are more choices. When I was a Christian I wouldn't have even considered voting for a Mormon.

Look, I'm a Christian so you probably won't understand this much less agree with it but in the bible God used godly men as well as ungodly men to bring about his plans. He even used a donkey. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things and the things that are not to nullify the things that are. 1 cor 1:28. All governments including ours, are established by God Romans 13:1. So as to the hiddeness of God, I don't know what his plans are. But as a Christian I have the burden to vote, for God says we are the light of the world. To waste my vote on a 3rd party candidate would be foolish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

How in any way would someone's personal religious beliefs influence your vote?

What should matter is what policy that person is promoting, and how he plans on running the country.

There's a reason why there's no religious test for office. There should also be no religious test for your vote. If you think Romney's policy is the best way to go, then why on earth would you vote otherwise?

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
bush fell in a hole and obama put us in an even bigger hole

More like Bush fell in a huge pit, and we were still falling when he was voted out.... the problem is you need to hit bottom before you can climb back out.

As it stands right now, the country is climbing back out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,231.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Look, I'm a Christian so you probably won't understand this much less agree with it but in the bible God used godly men as well as ungodly men to bring about his plans. He even used a donkey. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things and the things that are not to nullify the things that are. 1 cor 1:28. All governments including ours, are established by God Romans 13:1. So as to the hiddeness of God, I don't know what his plans are. But as a Christian I have the burden to vote, for God says we are the light of the world. To waste my vote on a 3rd party candidate would be foolish.

A couple of things...

Lots of Christians will be voting for Obama. Or even perhaps Gary Johnson. They might believe that your god is using those men to further his plans. How can you be sure you're right and not them? Perhaps Romney is your god's way of testing believers. To see if they'd vote for a cult member because they love their political party so much they're willing to look the other way.

And as I've already stated, I was a Christian for a long time.

Upvote 0

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A couple of things...

Lots of Christians will be voting for Obama. Or even perhaps Gary Johnson. They might believe that your god is using those men to further his plans. How can you be sure you're right and not them? Perhaps Romney is your god's way of testing believers. To see if they'd vote for a cult member because they love their political party so much they're willing to look the other way.

And as I've already stated, I was a Christian for a long time.

Well then, let those Christians vote the way they want. I believe what I believe and I'm voting for Romney. He is a business man and MAYBE can help this nation. Whatever religion he is is up to him. God is in control.

You were a Christian for a long time? Who is your god now?

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,231.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well then, let those Christians vote the way they want. I believe what I believe and I'm voting for Romney. He is a business man and MAYBE can help this nation. Whatever religion he is is up to him. God is in control.

You were a Christian for a long time? Who is your god now?

Do you believe that your god prefers that you vote for a particular person? Or does it matter?

And I don't have any gods.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.