• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Romantic relationships with the non-Orthodox

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by authiodionitist, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. authiodionitist

authiodionitist Senior Member

+18
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    Hi all

If you're in a relationship or are married to a non-Orthodox, PM me if you're willing to discuss!

Blessings!

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Macarius

Macarius Progressive Orthodox Christian Supporter

+684
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm married to an Orthodox woman, so I can't address this question specifically, but I would highly recommend dating within Orthodox circles for a couple of reasons:

1) unless you are dating casually (in which case neither of these points apply), you will face self-excommunication for marrying a non-Orthodox.

2) On a more personal level, you'll be wanting to (in part or, if marriage is in your future, in full) merge your life with this person. That is VERY hard to do if you don't have the same worldview. It is ESPECIALLY hard if you're raising children.

That said, dating casually (or semi-seriously) outside the Orthodox sphere doesn't seem bad, since you never know what God's plan might be for you.

Still, caution is due.

3. NyssaTheHobbit

NyssaTheHobbit Orthodox Christian (chrismation date 1/10/09)

+56
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Democrat
    You don't have to excommunicate yourself: Talk to your priest if you want to marry someone who is not Orthodox. Marriage to a Trinitarian Christian can potentially be allowed: http://www.oca.org/QAindex-sacramentmarriage.asp?SID=3 (The link is not working at the moment I'm typing this, but usually it works fine.)

I'm married to someone who is not interested in converting with me. Our son is baptized Lutheran, so he's going with his father, though he can always change his mind when it's time for confirmation classes. So far, it's working out just fine. We have similar views on many things, and different views on other things--just like anything else, such as music, politics and TV shows. Our views are similar where they count: We are both conservative Christians, concerned about orthodoxy in our traditions.

4. NyssaTheHobbit

NyssaTheHobbit Orthodox Christian (chrismation date 1/10/09)

+56
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Democrat
  5. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+3,313
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The Faith is the light by which we see the world, the basis of all of our beliefs and actions. If you don't have that common base, you're going to have tremendous problems on top of any others that you would have anyway.

"But it's OK! I'm in love!" is eventually replaced by the sad stories of marriages being pulled apart.

6. Canadian75

Canadian75 Peace-loving Warrior of God

+99
    Catholic
    Married
    I'm married (over 12 years now) to a non-Orthodox woman. I do love her and will stay married, but I do recommend that an Orthodox christian look for another Orthodox christian to date. It could avoid problems in the future (especially with children).

Also, if one wishes to date a non-Orthodox with the hopes that they will convert...don't hold your breath. Conversion is always a possibility, but so is non-conversion. You should not expect the person to convert and be prepared to spend your whole life with them even if they don't.

Peace.

7. kamikat

kamikat my love is bigger than a cadillac

+332
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I think it's a completely different situation to convert to Orthodoxy without one's spouse and an Orthodox Christian marrying a non-Orthodox person. If someone is married, they should not allow Orthodoxy to cause strife in the marriage. On several occasions, my priest wanted to know if it was causing a problem and would slow the process down if it was. Being married to someone who does not share your faith is VERY difficult. There is a huge part of your life that your spouse does not understand. Your spouse should be your best friend. Can you be open and sharing with your best friend if the most important thing in life can't be shared with that person?

8. ufonium2

ufonium2 Seriously, stop killing kids.

+376
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I dated a Presbyterian before I started dating my husband, and while he was fine with me being Orthodox, he said he would never convert. Our religion issues weren't really theological, so much as practical. For instance, he wanted to wait to have kids, for basically materialistic reasons. (There are valid reasons to postpone kids, but buying a ridiculously nice car is not one.) So that's not an issue where there can be compromise, because you can't get pregnant and simultaneously not get pregnant.

My point is that there are some things about which you can't just agree to disagree. So, what do you do?

That being said, I think getting married always affects your religious life, even if you are the same religion as your spouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.