florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
The holocaust in Germany was horrible but I wonder why nobody seems to care about the first Christians (who were jews too) that were persecuted by the Romans.

Christians were fed to the lions and made into candlesticks to light the streets of Rome.

If they were lucky the lions killed them instantly.

But the candlesticks were another story. It was a long drawn-out death. From what I understand wax was poured over the Christian with a wick installed, along with air holes. At night the wicks were lit and the wax slowly melted over the Christian's skin.

Now, nobody seems to care about these first Christians. Why?

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The holocaust in Germany was horrible but I wonder why nobody seems to care about the first Christians (who were jews too) that were persecuted by the Romans.

Christians were fed to the lions and made into candlesticks to light the streets of Rome.

But the candlesticks were another story. It was a long drawn-out death. From what I understand wax was poured over the Christian with a wick installed, along with air holes. At night the wicks were lit and the wax slowly melted over the Christian's skin.

I think most people don’t see any good that will result in pointing out the actions of those who have been dead for centuries.

• Agree
Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Not heard the candle idea before and I study history but you do have a point. The reason, however, is how far removed we are from the events. We are only 70+ years after WW2 and there are still people alive from that time. For those of us who are older than say 40 or 50, then our grandparents might have served in the military and our parents perhaps alive at that time. So it is more personal being this close to us, time wise. But what happened 1900 years ago? We have no emotional tie beyond the fact that those people were kin to us through Christ. But even being kin, we are so far removed that it is a fact thing not an emotional thing.

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This Jewish community still has survivors living today to tell the horrific story. Museums have been built in memory of the horrifying event. There are movies about early Christians that keep up awareness

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
nobody seems to care about these first Christians. Why?

The simple answer is that the roman emoire is long gone, but nazi parties are still around, still making the same threats against the Jews.

A secondary reason is that Christianity is not seen as relevent in todays world. This is due to thje spiritual nature of the struggle going on.

• Winner
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

It's not that these martyrs do not matter, because they do. It is that these martyrs, remembered in the canon of the mass even now, were the seeds of the conversion of their persecutors. It is a story of triumph, not only tragedy, not just of defeating an enemy of the Gospel, but of bringing the sons and daughters of the enemy to Jesus. Catholics remember the martyrs of the Roman Empire just like we remember the martyrs of North America and martyrs from around the world. The blood of the martyrs are the seeds of the Church.

The Roman Empire tolerated the Jews for the most part. It was the Christians among the Jews that they had trouble with and persecuted. And the persecutions were uneven, sometimes only regional, and they ebbed and flowed. It was not 'All Nero all the time'.

• Winner
Upvote 0

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
The simple answer is that the roman emoire is long gone, but nazi parties are still around, still making the same threats against the Jews.

A secondary reason is that Christianity is not seen as relevent in todays world. This is due to thje spiritual nature of the struggle going on.
it seems Christianity is the one under attack in recent times and the "nazi parties" is the label put on Christians by anti-Christians trying to defend Christianity.

Upvote 0

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
This Jewish community still has survivors living today to tell the horrific story. Museums have been built in memory of the horrifying event. There are movies about early Christians that keep up awareness
i didn't know. it's not very well publicized.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The holocaust in Germany
Right now, there is a lot of politics connected with publicizing what happened to the Jews during the Holocaust. Plus, there even might be Bible claiming people who think that they can get Jesus to return if they get Jews moved into their homeland. Israel is claimed to have functioned as a reliable ally of the United States . . . in the Middle East where various other countries and groups have not so well-reported a track record; so this can be behind some of the publicity of the Holocaust, in order to gain approval for Jews. But, again, like I say, there are Jews for which it is very personal, and painful.

So, there are different motives and reasons for things. Each person can be different. But ones would like to give us a one-size-fits-all reason . . . the reason which fits their agenda ¿:idea:?

But I have been told that an equal number of non-Jews were killed in the concentration camps. I do not know enough about this, but it would not surprise me if certain people are promoting Jewish publicity for whatever is their purpose > there actually might be more than one purpose, depending on who is publicizing it. Of course, it is very personal for ones who have been through it. And the political and economic exploitation could add to the pain of ones for whom the Holocaust is actual experience or they are relatives and friends of ones who were in the concentration camps. So, we do well to care for these people, in prayer.

But the candlesticks
I think part of why certain Christians do not promote the burning of Christians in Rome is because we do not feel we are victims who need to be protected and this partly by means of publicity. Also, of course, it is farther back in history and we do not likely know anyone, personally, who is connected with it.

Another thing is American slavery. Ones keep this publicized, in order to help protect black people, I would say, plus it can be a politically hooking thing, emotionally, to get votes. But there are also people who have relatives and friends with background and heritage going back to slavery. So, again, in this case > this is more personal, and/or it, too, can be used to hook and keep votes, and other things.

But no one will get many votes by making candle-style martyrs out to be poor victims. And people back then might not have much of an economic and educational impact on present things, but Jews can and blacks can.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Phinias the Elder commented on Nero burning crucified Christians, he said it was due to one man's love of cruelty. Later the emperor Trajan would have a much softer tone, making way for the Pax Romana where Christians were more or less left alone. Martyrs often awake the sennsibilities of people in a big way, making room for positive results.

Upvote 0

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
to address the OP, i saw a movie recently where it showed the candle stick thing with Christians literally on fire while they were posted up against a stone wall....I think it was about Paul the apostle...

it was very well done movie about what it was like for him and the first apostles...

anyone remember this movie?

Anyways, I stand with @chevyontheriver on the truth that we have never forgotten and feel love and devotion to those who have given their lives for the cause of Christ, in the Catholic Mass.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This candlestick story has no historic basis. Nero did burn Christians as punishment for burning Rome, as he used them as a scapegoat for the Great Fire prior to this. Tacitus records that they were used to provide illumination at night, but this 'wax melting etc.' is nowhere stated. Probably they were just burned in a conventional manner, or smeared with pitch and set alight. Here is the relevant passage of the Annals:

"Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired."

Those who died have never been forgotten. The Church has always celebrated the various martyrs that died during the 7 traditional periods of Roman persecution (most of which were local, except Diocletian's Great Persecution). But ultimately Rome converted, so they became the very thing they had been persecuting, so why beat up themselves over their ancestors? A bit silly, I'd think.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Phinias the Elder commented on Nero burning crucified Christians, he said it was due to one man's love of cruelty. Later the emperor Trajan would have a much softer tone, making way for the Pax Romana where Christians were more or less left alone. Martyrs often awake the sennsibilities of people in a big way, making room for positive results.
What or who are you referencing? Could you give a source? If you mean Pliny the Elder, he wrote nothing on this. Nero's persecution is based on Suetonius and Tacitus mostly.

Trajan wrote to Pliny the Younger on Christians though, and suggested a kid-gloves approach. This has little to do with the Pax Romana though, and though Trajan said Christians shouldn't be sought out, if they were denounced for disloyalty, they should be punished if refusing to offer to the Emperor's Genius.

• Informative
Upvote 0