• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Romans 14:14,15 Did Paul declare all foods clean?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by LittleLambofJesus, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Yes

2. No

3. I am not sure

4. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus PESKY DEVIL! GIT! l SAID GIT! Supporter

+27,940
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Did Paul declare all foods clean?

Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon
    Strong's Number G1033 matches the Greek (brma), which occurs 17 times in 15 verses in the Greek concordance of the KJV

YoungLT]Romans 14:14 I have known and am persuaded in Lord Jesus that nothing unclean thru himself, except to the one accounting any being-unclean/koinon <2839> to be, to that one being-unclean/koinon <2839>.
    [Genesis 9:33]
    15 and if through victuals/brwma <1033> thy brother is grieved, no more dost thou walk according to love; do not with thy victuals destroy that one for whom Christ died.
    16 Let not, then, your good be evil spoken of,
    17 for the reign of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit;

1033. broma bro'-mah from the base of 977; food (literally or figuratively), especially (ceremonially) articles allowed or forbidden by the Jewish law:--meat, victuals.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. higherFaith

higherFaith Well-Known Member

+108
    Catholic
    Single
    UK-Conservative
    Not sure, I think it needs to be made more clear.

3. higherFaith

+108
    Catholic
    Single
    UK-Conservative
    St. Matthew 15:11

4. LittleLambofJesus

+27,940
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Good verse hF :)

5. higherFaith

+108
    Catholic
    Single
    UK-Conservative
    I'll try to go through it more when I get up. Tired. :yawn:

6. Frogster

Frogster Galatians is the best!

+2,273
    Charismatic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    Sure did, and 14 says, by way of the Lord, said again in 20, in case ther was any confusion. Sadly, it is the weak, that deem things unclen, as per 14:1, and 15:1, probably new converts. Fragile ones.

More..Corinth, like in unclean idol food.

10:25 Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience. 26 For “the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof.”

7. Macarius

Macarius Progressive Orthodox Christian Supporter

+683
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    There's also the vision of St. Peter in Acts 10:9-16

The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat, but while they made ready he fell into trance and saw heaven opened an an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. And a voice came to him, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." But Peter said, "Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean." And a voice spoke to him again the second time, "What God has cleansed you must not call common." This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.

Or how about Colossians 2:16-17, 20-23 - So let no one judge you in food or drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ... Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations - "Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle," which all concern things which perish with the using - according to the commandments and doctrines of men? These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

The food laws do not apply to Christians. Anyone who says otherwise preaches a different Gospel than that of Christ and St. Paul and is anathema.

8. LittleLambofJesus

+27,940
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    I tend to agree with both posts here, and thank you both for posting :thumbsup:

9. Frogster

Frogster Galatians is the best!

+2,273
    Charismatic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    Todays MJ's and sda folk, cause division, because they declare all the pork, catfish, shrimp, lobster, crab eating Christians sinners.

It is sooooo dated!:D

10. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,459
    Baptist
    Married
    I voted other...Christ declared all foods clean

Matt 15:11

11. LittleLambofJesus

+27,940
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Great verse! Thank you

12. LittleLambofJesus

+27,940
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Nah.....just deluded ^_^ :p

13. LittleLambofJesus

+27,940
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Any other views on this?

14. Jpark

Jpark Well-Known Member

+163
    Christian
    Private
    Yes, he did. It is not food that defiles man, but man that defiles the food.

Food must be received in repentance and must be given in repentance. This repentance I speak of is the blood of Jesus (1 Peter 1:22-23).

15. Deut 5:29

Deut 5:29 Well-Known Member

+67
    Christian
    Married
    If you're talking about all animal flesh the answer is no.
    That is not what Ro. 14 is about.

16. Deut 5:29

Deut 5:29 Well-Known Member

+67
    Christian
    Married
    Mat. 15 is not speaking about unclean animal flesh.

17. MKJ

MKJ Contributor

+674
    Anglican
    Married
    CA-Greens
    That unclean food bit is, like, so over man.

I voted for no unclean foods, as long as you pick them up before 5 seconds pass.

18. ivebeenshown

ivebeenshown Expert invisible poster and thread killer

+543
    Catholic
    Married
    I would say NO, he did not declare all foods clean.

Jesus declared all foods clean. :)

19. cyberlizard

cyberlizard the electric lizard returns

+535
    Messianic
    Married

where?

Steve

p.s. Mark 7v19 says no such thing according to the Greek.

20. cyberlizard

cyberlizard the electric lizard returns

+535
    Messianic
    Married
    The Torah is from God who says He is not a man that He should lie, nor a son of man that He should change His mind.

God said some foods where unclean.

Can God later change His mind?

Steve

p.s. Paul bases all his theological arguments on the authority of the words of Moses, so it is highly unlikely he would contradict him. Jesus also argues for the eternal validity of the Torah.

the real question is, does the Law apply equally to Jew and Gentile?