Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Since Romans 13:1-2 says that God chooses our leaders. Can Christians change God's will by voting? If not, why should they vote?

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Oompa Loompa
Oompa Loompa
No. You cannot change God's will because of your vote. More simply, if the person you didn't vote for gets elected, it is God's will. If the person you voted for gets elected, it is still God's will.
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟243,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Since Romans 13:1-2 says that God chooses our leaders. Can Christians change God's will by voting? If not, why should they vote?

For Christians God works through the actions of volitional agents. We believe that God's providence applies to all things while also holding that the candidate who receives the most votes (or wins the EC) will be elected. We vote and influence the outcome but ultimately God is in charge.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
For Christians God works through the actions of volitional agents. We believe that God's providence applies to all things while also holding that the candidate who receives the most votes (or wins the EC) will be elected. We vote and influence the outcome but ultimately God is in charge.
You can't have both. If God has decided who will be the leader then how can any amount of votes by Christians change that outcome?

Can the votes override Gods wishes? If so, then how does that square with Romans 13?

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟243,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You can't have both. If God has decided who will be the leader then how can any amount of votes by Christians change that outcome?

Can the votes override Gods wishes? If so, then how does that square with Romans 13?

Upvote 0

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
I don't take that verse to mean that God picks out ALL individual authority everywhere and our votes are meaningless.

I take that verse to mean that God has established authorities, kings, presidents, governors, etc....

I DO believe God knows who will rule and sometimes appoints certain people, like King Cyrus and Pharaoh in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Amazing how translations can change things. My Bible says higher authority.

If the new translations are correct and or the meaning is government then we have a Bible with errors. That can't be. Paul could not have been speaking about governments.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

4" For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

This verse should tell you that Paul isn't talking about governments, presidents or rulers. Just look at the examples of past leaders around the world. They weren't ministers of God and I refuse to believe that the Bible contains errors.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Amazing how translations can change things. My Bible says higher authority.

If the new translations are correct and or the meaning is government then we have a Bible with errors. That can't be. Paul could not have been speaking about governments.

4" For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

This verse should tell you that Paul isn't talking about governments, presidents or rulers. Just look at the examples of past leaders around the world. They weren't ministers of God and I refuse to believe that the Bible contains errors.
If you are going to assume the bible is without errors then ok, but why not find out if it has errors or look to resolve the errors. Would that not be a better approach?

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are going to assume the bible is without errors then ok, but why not find out if it has errors or look to resolve the errors. Would that not be a better approach?

KJV Is without errors. The verse isn't about governments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you say so.

If my interpretations are right it's the church. Rulers, I can't remember the spelling on the Greek term, has been used several times in the Bible and it doesn't mean government. Do you really see Trump as a minister of God? If not then that passage has another meaning.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If my interpretations are right it's the church. Rulers, I can't remember the spelling on the Greek term, has been used several times in the Bible and it doesn't mean government. Do you really see Trump as a minister of God? If not then that passage has another meaning.
Only if it is true which has not been substantiated. The more likely conclusion is that the bible is not reliable or true in this passage.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only if it is true which has not been substantiated. The more likely conclusion is that the bible is not reliable or true in this passage.

. I would hate to be the man that changed the word of God on judgment day. That would be bad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting viewpoint. I think you may want to check in on your "rulers" assertion above. The Greek archōn is used in several places to mean government rulers in the NT. Also, in context, does the church in verse 6 have the authority to levy taxes (or "tribute", in the KJV)? I don't recall the church having that authority during the time the NT was written. And I'm pretty sure Jesus was all about the separation of church and state.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting viewpoint. I think you may want to check in on your "rulers" assertion above. The Greek archōn is used in several places to mean government rulers in the NT. Also, in context, does the church in verse 6 have the authority to levy taxes (or "tribute", in the KJV)? I don't recall the church having that authority during the time the NT was written. And I'm pretty sure Jesus was all about the separation of church and state.

I'm still looking for answers. It can't be governing authority like in the newer Bibles. We've had to many rulers that weren't ministers of good. Hitler surely wasn't to be obeyed and I know for sure we are not to obey the antichrist when he comes on the scene.

If it is government or rulers then why on earth would we be told to obey? Any help with this sure would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm still looking for answers. It can't be governing authority like in the newer Bibles.
But it is. Even in the original languages.
We've had to many rulers that weren't ministers of good. Hitler surely wasn't to be obeyed and I know for sure we are not to obey the antichrist when he comes on the scene.
God can use believers and non-believers alike to accomplish his will. Why Hitler, et al? Only God knows.
If it is government or rulers then why on earth would we be told to obey? Any help with this sure would be appreciated.
Who do we obey God or man? I believe we are to obey our governments, as commanded by God, unless it contradicts God. There are plenty of ungodly men/rulers/governments throughout history, yet Christianity has flourished despite them. The Greek and Roman empires had their pagan gods, yet the territories they covered were huge. Much of the NT is written in Greek, so some good came out of those empires as the Word was able to be spread more easily, both spoken and written. Because he was a Roman citizen, Paul was able to witness his new found faith to various levels of the Roman government during his travels in his appeal to Caesar in the latter part of Acts.

Upvote 0