Romans 10 and the Jews heard, and faith comes by hearing, but why did they not believe?

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
faith comes through hearing, but the Israelites heard (look at verse 18), and Paul asks again, did Israel not understand? (look at verse 19) I am not sure if the second time Paul asks about if they understood, is he saying that they heard and did not understand? because in verse 18, he clarifies that they did hear, but verse 19 he does not seem to clarify it. if they heard, and understood, why are they not saved? is it that they did not obey? I am trying to make sense of this passage. mainly verses that are highlighted. also, they must have had faith if they heard it and understood it. though it is also stated that

Matthew 13:15 15For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.'

so is it that they heard, but chose to close their eyes and ears to it? they understood enough to know it was true, but rejected it, lest they would fully understand and follow?
and what is their motive for being so disobedient?

Romans chapter 10

1 Brothers and sisters, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. 2 For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge.
3 Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. 4 Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
5 Moses writes this about the righteousness that is by the law: “The person who does these things will live by them.”a 6 But the righteousness that is by faith says: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ”b (that is, to bring Christ down)
7 “or ‘Who will descend into the deep?’ ”c (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).
8 But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,”d that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim:
9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.”
12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him,
13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”
16 But not all the Israelites accepted the good news. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our message?”
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ. 18 But I ask: Did they not hear? Of course they did
: “Their voice has gone out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.”
19 Again I ask: Did Israel not understand? First, Moses says, “I will make you envious by those who are not a nation; I will make you angry by a nation that has no understanding.”
20 And Isaiah boldly says, “I was found by those who did not seek me; I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me.”
21 But concerning Israel he says, “All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and obstinate people.”l

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think Paul is referring to to different types of hearing - first is physically hearing the message - second is hearing leading to faith which I believe is a gift that can be stifled by unbelief.

Blessings,

Carl Emerson.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think Paul is referring to to different types of hearing - first is physically hearing the message - second is hearing leading to faith which I believe is a gift that can be stifled by unbelief.

Blessings,

Carl Emerson.

Good day, Carl

Much easier than that... My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow sheep do sheepish things. (non-sheep) are unable to be sheep because they are not , so they do not hear nor believe and do not follow and are unknown by the shepherd they are not his.

John 10:22

At that time the Feast of Dedication took place at Jerusalem. It was winter, 23 and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the colonnade of Solomon. 24 So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are itheChrist, jtell us plainly.” 25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. kTheworks that I do lin my Father's name bear witness about me, 26 but you do not believebecause you are not among my sheep. 27 nMy sheep hear my voice, and I know them, andthey follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one willsnatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, rwho has given them to me,1 sis greater thanall, and no one is able to snatch them out of tthe Father's hand. 30 uI and the Father are

In Him,

Bill

• Agree
Reactions: sdowney717
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Faith comes by hearing God speak, you do not hear because you are not of God.
Those who are of God hear God's words.

Jesus is of course speaking of spiritually hearing from God, not just words spoken into the air. And having that ability is a gift from God for those He has foreknown as His people, and it is for no one else, those who do not believe are on the outside and remain on the outside, they never come into the King's house as His children.

• Agree
Reactions: BBAS 64
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith comes by hearing God speak, you do not hear because you are not of God.
Those who are of God hear God's words.

Jesus is of course speaking of spiritually hearing from God, not just words spoken into the air. And having that ability is a gift from God for those He has foreknown as His people, and it is for no one else, those who do not believe are on the outside and remain on the outside, they never come into the King's house as His children.

Yup! God adopts his children we are "of God"

John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God."

Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good day, Carl

Much easier than that... My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow sheep do sheepish things. (non-sheep) are unable to be sheep because they are not , so they do not hear nor believe and do not follow and are unknown by the shepherd they are not his.

John 10:22

At that time the Feast of Dedication took place at Jerusalem. It was winter, 23 and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the colonnade of Solomon. 24 So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are itheChrist, jtell us plainly.” 25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. kTheworks that I do lin my Father's name bear witness about me, 26 but you do not believebecause you are not among my sheep. 27 nMy sheep hear my voice, and I know them, andthey follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one willsnatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, rwho has given them to me,1 sis greater thanall, and no one is able to snatch them out of tthe Father's hand. 30 uI and the Father are

In Him,

Bill
what makes them sheep though?

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what makes them sheep though?

Good Day, TISNMN

Our very being makes us sheep it is of who we are.. We as believers are His sheep and he is our Shepard.

What makes a dog a dog... can a cat become a dog, No

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0